Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Radiusing/polishing piston crowns? *Now with added fail*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:45 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Radiusing/polishing piston crowns? *Now with added fail* Reply with quote

Been having detonation issues on my bigbore, high compression enfield bullet. A long ride up a pretty steep hill on motorway on my recent Spanish trip was causing intermittant detonation and lead to a seizure which did free off quickly and continued running for about 1000 miles. I threw a sticking plaster at the issue at the time by adding some royal purple octane boost* to the fuel which pretty much stopped the detonating.

Going to do a teardown tomorrow to see if the piston is toast or not, check bore, ring gaps, land clearances, etc. Hopefully not marked the bore too much and can give it a hone and new rings

Obviously checking timing and mixture is the main event but I've seen it suggested that one issue with these accralite forged pistons is that they have pretty sharp edges around the valve cutaways which can make them both noisy and more prone to detonation and that radiusing off the edges can be beneficial.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWXcey8AYmu28N5QbKXZqF4lPx7KSoEKHAjFwcPyZlz_iq8-sll0HfNRxYQFZVCtVl3W244YyUqDDKttqZ5DBA_0XkrasEZNb9-rJJPXLp5FqKyof1FwIwCLxAA2wlGXtzzZoxfHQFuV-TW5WCsPwpg=w1182-h886-no

The question is how? Someone warned me off using emery cloth because abrasive particles can get embedded in the aluminium.

I was thinking I can rough it in with needle files (going in at 90 degrees to the "point" then at 90 degrees to the two new points in the same way you'd round a square by going square, octagon, round), then polishing out the file marks with increasing grades of abrasive.

Would using a rotary tool be a stupid idea?

In terms of abrasive, wet and dry? Abrasive stone? Grinding compound? Polish on wire wool?

Obviously it'll get a damned good clean in the ultrasonic, soapy water then solvent afterwards to remove any residues.

*I took some with me in case I couldn't get super unleaded locally.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 16:58 - 23 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abrasives in the aluminium can be brushed out with wire brush or picked up using heavy steelwool (Or a Brillopad). Anything that left most likely won't be of concern.
Washed off in your mum's dishwasher when she's out at Tesco.

Clash it together, run it for a couple of hundred miles and change the oil and filter. (As per the norm after a deep service.)

A carbide cutter with Turks Head profile would be an option.

Carbide cutters are the goto for removing material during critical welding jobs as there is concern that abrasives left by grinding can cause 'inclusions' in the welded joint leading to stress cracking later.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:50 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Wonders if work will notice one of the carbide dental burs going missing.* Thinking

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this but another approach might be to lower the compression a tad, slip in a thicker gasket for the head?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:41 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I hate to say this but another approach might be to lower the compression a tad, slip in a thicker gasket for the head?

You calling me a pussy? TM32 carb is on its way from the US which I think will even out the fuel delivery across the rev range. May get it bunged on a dyno to dial in the fuelling. There didn't seem much point with the current amal carb on account of it being an obsolete piece of shit.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:58 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Piston is toast. There are some marks on the bore but having run a hone down there, while still visible, I can't feel any of them with a fingernail, they're no deeper than the honing marks.

Here's the damage...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLXLII3xc43v-Gh6k1B8WYPXG6LOj1hTIouUgfd77bzFWMk8puRlOmw2Wwak9d3KwJkS0AeFWxkkvlamtdLaJRIZI1n5BeqxDs8rQbND4oWjHz4-FGkbzYClZButiOrpE11DajC7p5TfbqBLn2m2xG0w=w1576-h886-no

As well as the seizure you'll notice the piston has cracked through the gudgeon pin boss.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWwlFNpy4uAsr4UN2MylKHLxhuu4AnA3jgvt5UJ2QNTaph5lo8syLx76MycHsVrVTyFGheUw48YVZvxPENafPFU2XmVu1BN8PhfoIxJmp24PhnR_F3B9O4plA_f2R0KfDAzjk-I2h88V2uDrzfxDhUy=w1576-h886-no

Interestingly, when you look at the underside, none of the heat from the seizure has transferred across the crack. This suggests to me that it seized because of the crack springing the piston skirt out rather than cracking because it seized. The crack must have been there before the seizure occurred or there would be scorching both sides of the crack?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVmi4gd9KYcL0ABdEbtmjy5CMAXasqpwiqoa4qVR1jZKNEDQL08_zUYkE6lFZ5wzBPN73OZNlogY75wK4vOtIJ4jlqaDMCVIh9tIJdAYE1L-y2vmInJI9droj3XqgVKzVZUxFay6jApKFZY8Z_oFD4V=w1576-h886-no

There are also two cracks in the ring land area between the two compression rings. Not sure what to make of these, cause or effect?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVUiaGhmMni6lQWhSU0BtoGeJw3ch21ogVoMTeiXpiDaQ_f6Afv7op0NYJNIJS15Ybc0pt6DsZkryEcKzgBPZq4-oNAR1wUBJAVLa5x21lKhwEqq-R-DwMGNvtwd6yRu5wqI4bzVYXdRemrwZ-vpvE2=w1576-h886-no

There is no evidence of nibbling/pitting on the piston crown like I'd expect with detonation.

I'm not sure but I wonder if one of the big backfires it was doing before I got the timing dialled in caused a crack to start and it's been slowly propogating until it finally let go in a bigger way.

I'm astounded it kept running for as long as it did. Look how much play there was on the piston! Miraculously, there doesn't seem to be any damage on the small end.
Link to short video

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a horse's daubur of a piston crown.
Over-designed a tad.
That probably prevented a punch through the crown.
But like your say, the forces have found the next weakpart and the thin section at the edge of the pin bore was the focus.

Amal carbs are fine if you don't need performance over a load range. They must have been invented before the wheel.
Murican engine tech is better coz their market is better.
And most stuff is cheap.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:51 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it running a needle roller or a brass bush in the little end?

If it is running a needle roller, could you run a brass bush? Looks to me like it requires a more brute-force engineering approach than worrying about little things like the right amount of oil.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:06 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Is it running a needle roller or a brass bush in the little end?

If it is running a needle roller, could you run a brass bush? Looks to me like it requires a more brute-force engineering approach than worrying about little things like the right amount of oil.

It's a bush in a forged steel rod with silver needle roller big end. Edges on the bushing still look square, all the play is in the piston.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:43 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I get the feeling you may have discovered the limit of your cylinder head.

That piston is a solid-looking thing. Unless there was a hidden manufacturing defect, it must have seen quite a bit of abuse to let go like that.

I'm going to go with Easy-X and call you a pussy, dropping the compression seems like the next logical step. Would be interesting to know how it changes the feel of the bike going from silly compression down to just inadvisable.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:33 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking there may have been a single "event" that's at the root of this. Possibly dating back to however the hell it managed to bend the inlet pushrod a few months back. I'm leaning towards a particularly violent backfire on startup before I had the timing dialled in properly.

The compression isn't proper stupid, it's 10.3:1. The scrambles guys running on dope have them WAY higher than that.

I'm also now wondering if what I thought was detonating was actually the sound of the piston coming apart because the crown and inside of the head look fine, no pitting or hotspots.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:13 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you knock the timing back a fraction? Were you at the Colombres rally?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:32 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
Can't you knock the timing back a fraction? Were you at the Colombres rally?

Nah, was there for last years summer holiday.

I can knock the timing back, although I'm now doubting if the timing now is the issue. It was definately too advanced previously when it was kicking-back on startup and I knocked it back a couple of degrees. I'm woindering if that was when the damage was done.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:06 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many variables. Seems your best bet is to reassemble on a new piston and see how it behaves.

Without knowing when the damage happened, and therefore what the noises may have been, its impossible to tell if you're at the edge of what can be achieved with that cylinder head on normal petrol.

Are you doing any experimentation with inlet manifold lengths?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:15 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Too many variables. Seems your best bet is to reassemble on a new piston and see how it behaves.

Without knowing when the damage happened, and therefore what the noises may have been, its impossible to tell if you're at the edge of what can be achieved with that cylinder head on normal petrol.

Are you doing any experimentation with inlet manifold lengths?

Bonus. Hitchcocks (who make the tuning kits) had a low mileage used piston in excellent nick in stock for less than half the price of a new one. I'm presuming it's out of one of their development engines given they have more than one in stock. No visible wear and I'll feel a lot less cagey about modifying it.

I've been in touch with a guy who tunes racing bullets and he radiuses his accralite pistons, he gave me a couple of other tips to "soften" the engine without de-tuning it including retarding the inlet valve timing slightly.

Someone who knows a lot about the maths worked out the pressure wave dynamics of these motors and concluded the inlet manifold would need to be unfeasably long (like fouling the rear wheel long) to make any discernable difference, same goes for velocity stacks so the done thing is to bolt it on securely and fit a filter. Airbox if you are worried about rain but make it a big one, the standard tea-caddys aren't big enough to avoid creating a vacuum.

Here's a pic the guy kindly sent me of one of his prepped pistons.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 24 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy two of those beauties and have one as a paperweight for the desk.
If you still use paper. Laughing

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:28 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason *Now with added fail* just drew me into this thread.

Sorry to see your piston went pop.
but it is interesting to follow.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:04 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Interesting. The used piston that just arrived has already been mostly radiused, just needs a clean up and light polish. That's saved me a good 3 or 4 hours!

Presumably it's from a development engine because I can't see why they'd have a stock of low mileage, used pistons otherwise. So given these pistons were manufactured for the company I bought it from, radiusing seems to be the way to go.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 28 Oct 2021    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Interesting, X marks the spot perhaps....

Those numbers are stamped in ?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 28 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I've been in touch with a guy who tunes racing bullets and he radiuses his accralite pistons, he gave me a couple of other tips to "soften" the engine without de-tuning it including retarding the inlet valve timing slightly.

Surely retarding the inlet cam will increase the overlap? Can't see how that can help but de-tune the engine a bit. Should soften the delivery a bit.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:05 - 29 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: T Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Interesting, X marks the spot perhaps....

Those numbers are stamped in ?

In fairness, they look etched/engraved.

Pete. wrote:
Surely retarding the inlet cam will increase the overlap? Can't see how that can help but de-tune the engine a bit. Should soften the delivery a bit.

He reckons it softens the low to mid range slightly but increases responsiveness/rev range at the top end. Makes you rev it a bit more, which is probably the correct thing to do, they don't like to be lugged.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:52 - 29 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: T Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

He reckons it softens the low to mid range slightly but increases responsiveness/rev range at the top end. Makes you rev it a bit more, which is probably the correct thing to do, they don't like to be lugged.

Yeah he's right I got my events backwards. Retarding the inlet will open the inlet later after closing the exhaust reducing overlap. It'll get more revvy at the expense of low end torque.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1