Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Got my FZR yesterday...... WOW

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

stryker
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:49 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Got my FZR yesterday...... WOW Reply with quote

As per the norm for me this was not an uneventful day.

When I picked the bike up it was somewhat sluggish when below 4k revs. Now it had been standing for 18 months but with regular turn overs so I figured that was it.

I was well pleased with the bike's performance, it blew me away.

Anyway this is where things went sour. I'll only say the garage I took the bike to for its MOT was in the midlands, I may be of the opinion the people there should not be dealing with the public but I'd not want to give them any grief.

When I got to the garage I was surprised to find it was run by people who had a very good rep in the bike community. I told them about the problems I had and then was subjected to about 20 mins of "anything thats not british bashing". Ah yamaha crap, this bikes a wreck, it vibrates etc etc. Even though I outlined everything about the bike there were no suggestions of a fix other than a carb rebuild, which may just may make this piece of shit work.

I was feeling very disheartened. Some chap brought in a triumph at that time as well. But of course good ol tri's, its probably just a spark plug or something..... Shocked oh really. Anyway, it had dawned on my they were probably letting their general hate for foreign bikes bias their report of its condition. It passed the MOT so I decided to take it home.

I popped into my local trusted bike shop, told them about the bike and they were like, "hhhm could be blocked air intake, could be riffy carb, could be the plugs". Then I said it had been garaged for 18 months with only bi-weekly fire-ups. The chap laughed and said I'd got spring bike syndrome. Basically after every winter they have people coming in with bikes that cant idle, have no power or variations of that. Seems the petrol goes off over winter then when the bike is took for a good run it gunks up the carbs. Now why did the other guys not mention this? too busy with the yamaha bashing?

Anyway went home got the fairings off and guess what? A spark plug lead was off! HAHAHAHAHAHAH the bike had been running on 3 cylinders. I put it back on, put the bike together and it runs sweet as a nut! no vibes, smooth running and yeah I thought it was fast before...... now its lethal!!!!! Mr. Green

This winter/spring I'm still going to strip the carbs off and have them rebuilt. Look after your bike and your bike will look after you and all that.

Anyways, I've rode 100 most excellent miles yesterday, what a thing bike riding is!

Moral here? yeah, don't let your own opinions tarnish your evaluations. Other people may be relying on those evaluations!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:41 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have to wonder at the inability of the first garage to notice the bike was only running on 3 cylinders.

Oh, hang on - there was that "I'll strip and clean the carbs for £160" offer - maybe that had something to do with it?
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

160 quid....... sod that. If you're not relying on the bike for transport every day, and can afford to take it off the road, do it yourself. A strip, clean and reassemble isn't beyond anyone with a modicom of common sense and a manual. After a long layup it's likely that the bowls are full of sediment from the petrol, and it's this crap that keeps getting sucked through, might be worth just looking at that first, and then only do a full strip if that doesn't sort it.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 25 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Could well need the carbs cleaning out. Some of the "petrol" stuff that has been in carbs on my bikes has been, errr, interesting. A couple of tanks of fresh petrol will help anyway.

I picked myself up a spare set of FZR carbs on Ebay, and there are a couple of sets on there at the moment for around £10.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother had a FZR600 Genesis, lovely machine it was, I think it was about 1992ish?

I saw a lovely FZR400 going around in a bike shop near me for a couple of grand, bit out of my price range though!

*grumbles* Razz

Enjoy your bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stryker
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I didn't realise I had so much to learn about sports bikes, even retro ones Smile

It ain't like tootling around on the CG500 I learnt on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! FZR's are gorgeous Smile I like the colours of your one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 27 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new bike buddy - I've just been out riding the fazer on the A40 - fookin' ace Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stryker
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:52 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great isn't it mr james. All the flaming power and hardly the chance to use it Laughing

I've managed to get myself in a few butt clenching situations thus far.... BTW for me that includes hitting a dual carriageway, opening the throttle 2/3, zipping throughout the gears then glancing at my speedo Thumbs Up Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I was following you. I nearly got off to see why I'd stopped... Shocked
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rodger Wabbit
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stryker your bike looks nice (assuming its the one in your picture). I should be gettin mine thursday so if any of you lot live local and fancy meeting up for a very slow ride out sat or sun let me know.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stryker
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat slow, following bazza through corners on his viagra 1100 seems a little fast for me at this time, more fool me for keeping up.

You around walsall,bham,sutton type area then?

PS: Mr rabbit check out the fzr600 thread in the photos forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stryker wrote:
I am somewhat slow, following bazza through corners on his viagra 1100 seems a little fast for me at this time, more fool me for keeping up.


I only ride at a pace befitting my advancing senility. Besides, the Viagra has a nice comfy seat more in keeping with my proportions. Riding your fizzer felt like flossing my arse with a chainsaw...

Mr. Green
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: Got my FZR yesterday...... WOW Reply with quote

stryker wrote:


Anyway went home got the fairings off and guess what? A spark plug lead was off! HAHAHAHAHAHAH the bike had been running on 3 cylinders.


Probably why the triumph fan boys thought there was nothing wrong Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: Got my FZR yesterday...... WOW Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:

Probably why the triumph fan boys thought there was nothing wrong Laughing

*cough*
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rodger Wabbit
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the pic's, its nice very colourful Very Happy

I live about 5mins from Bassetts Pole. I will more then likely be riding round trying to get use to my new bike. So if you fancy it or any one else does give us a PM

Lee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stryker
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh but the honourable mr marjay's wonderful machine is designed to run on three cylinders.

Hey, could you limp home on two pots tho?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stryker
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 28 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so tempted to visit the bassetts tonight. Bit broke tho, then again how much does a half cost eh? Very Happy

EDIT: given I get paid this week maybe this saturday is a better idea anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're having fun Stryker! Yes indeed, it's cool to crank that throttle open and let the beast run free for a bit, I was pretty stunned how quickly I went from 35-75, without thrashing the engine. (i'm still in the bedding-in stage, onlyg ot 150 miles on the clock so far, despite my best efforts, got 4 rest days coming up, gonna try and get it up the first service mark in those if I can!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:02 - 29 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stryker wrote:
Oh but the honourable mr marjay's wonderful machine is designed to run on three cylinders.

Hey, could you limp home on two pots tho?


Probably, its got enough torque. It would still be a 636cc twin!
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.99 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 107.9 Kb