Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Got a new bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 31 Oct 2021    Post subject: Got a new bike Reply with quote

Long time no visit to this forum, and long time no annoy everyone with massive left wing bias in the politics area Very Happy

Moved to Vietnam a while ago and got myself a fun little knock-off thing with docs claiming it's a custom Honda Rebel but it is definitely not a Honda Rebel.

A bit of internetting tells me it's likely a Baja Motorsports Phoenix engine and the rest is custom. It rides pretty well and at 250cc it has a lot of pull among all the 110cc things most folk use in Saigon. Already had it in for repair to get a dodgy clutch sorted, and had them fit new chain and sprockets only for the front sprocket to FALL OFF while I was riding it yesterday... but when the parts and labour cost barely 50 quid I can't complain too much. Aside from that it's a solid runner and extremely fun to take around the absolute chaos of the city.

First pic is the original seller pic, the rest are my own wanky instagram pics.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/0_591.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/1_982.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/2_575.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/3_958.jpg

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 31 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. It's like it's meant to be - 'Cable Tie' makes political discussion and Percy returns just a week or so after. What are the chances.

How's Naaaam these days? Trip to Hai Van in the pipeline??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 31 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once someone puts semi-knobblies on a bike and can make use of them Thumbs Up I'm sure half the roads there are marked out by slightly different coloured dirt Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:55 - 31 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking bar end mirrors?

At least the seat isn't brown.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 31 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Welcome back. It's like it's meant to be - 'Cable Tie' makes political discussion and Percy returns just a week or so after. What are the chances.

How's Naaaam these days? Trip to Hai Van in the pipeline??

Naaam is pretty good right now, but it has been an absolutely dogshit few months. I came here because Vietnam handled covid better than most countries and at the time I was sick of lockdowns in the UK. But, Sod's Law, on the day I arrived in Saigon they went into their own ultra lockdown, I was confined at home for about 8 weeks and as a total newbie in the city I couldn't setup a bank account or even buy food. Was down to just rice and potatoes at one point.

Over the past month things have opened up though and it's all pretty good now.

Can't say I've heard of Hai Van but I shall certainly look into it.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 31 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Fucking bar end mirrors?

At least the seat isn't brown.

I got a new seat fitted last week and very nearly went for a brown one Embarassed . Last minute decision went for black instead Very Happy

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 31 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: Got a new bike Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/2_575.jpg

That is an awesome shot.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 31 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ agrees with SeƱor Hammers ^^
I was just about to say the same thing.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 31 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bike. It reminds me of my last ride in another SE Asian country - on a Z200 Kawasaki. It had presence, character and soul in that environment. It was the boss bike out there, in a world of step-through mopeds and old C90s. There was also a very active and interesting custom scene, too, although now I think it's moved on to a racing (nitrous) moped street scene, and Enfield custom chops. When I decided to get hold of one over here (in the UK) more recently, I was disappointed though. Just one of those things where the place has to be right, the other traffic has to be right, the people have to be right, the air has to be right, etc.

Nice backdrop of the city in your photos.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
When I decided to get hold of one over here (in the UK) more recently, I was disappointed though. Just one of those things where the place has to be right, the other traffic has to be right, the people have to be right, the air has to be right, etc.

Yep, totally agree. I think the UK and western nations in general demand more powerful engines and a 'cleaner' machine. My bike here in Vietnam would be a noisy, slightly dangerous and underpowered tinpot if I used it in the UK.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
It's like it's meant to be - 'Cable Tie' makes political discussion and Percy returns just a week or so after

So I've done a wee bit of snooping and it looks like Cable Tie is possibly mpd72? Thinking Laughing

I won't be diving into any more politics discussions. The left lost, there's no light at the end of the tunnel and Starmer as the main opposition is so not my cup of tea that I have no choice but to be largely apolitical and just watch the world burn Black Eye

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:13 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
arry wrote:
It's like it's meant to be - 'Cable Tie' makes political discussion and Percy returns just a week or so after

So I've done a wee bit of snooping and it looks like Cable Tie is possibly mpd72? Thinking Laughing

Just in case I was too subtle Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Naaam is pretty good right now, but it has been an absolutely dogshit few months. I came here because Vietnam handled covid better than most countries and at the time I was sick of lockdowns in the UK. But, Sod's Law, on the day I arrived in Saigon they went into their own ultra lockdown, I was confined at home for about 8 weeks and as a total newbie in the city I couldn't setup a bank account or even buy food. Was down to just rice and potatoes at one point.

Over the past month things have opened up though and it's all pretty good now.

Can't say I've heard of Hai Van but I shall certainly look into it.

Looks fun. I'm interested to learn though. what were the circumstances that allow you to up sticks and move to the other side of the world? Retired? Internet viable job? No dependants?
No obligation to answer of course but it's not a move most would/could take.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Looks fun. I'm interested to learn though. what were the circumstances that allow you to up sticks and move to the other side of the world? Retired? Internet viable job? No dependants?

No dependents, no financial commitments (other than EE phone contract which I'm still paying...), career opportunities worldwide (programmer), extreme addiction to travel, and a large dose of poor financial decision making which may or may not come back to haunt me at some point. That being said, Saigon is so bloody cheap that I think in about a year the move will have easily paid for itself. Foreigners get paid well here.

The programmer profession is generally internet viable too. My old employer from the UK is wanting me back on a part-time basis, which is a bloody excellent result as it means I can spend my evenings trying out the enormous plethora of hipster cafes in the city, sitting on my laptop doing casual work and getting paid for it in GBP. I have a full-time job here too so the visa situation is solid until 2023 and probably beyond.

Hopefully going to work out quite well Very Happy

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
A100man wrote:

No dependents, no financial commitments (other than EE phone contract which I'm still paying...), career opportunities worldwide (programmer), extreme addiction to travel, and a large dose of poor financial decision making which may or may not come back to haunt me at some point. That being said, Saigon is so bloody cheap that I think in about a year the move will have easily paid for itself. Foreigners get paid well here.

The programmer profession is generally internet viable too. My old employer from the UK is wanting me back on a part-time basis, which is a bloody excellent result as it means I can spend my evenings trying out the enormous plethora of hipster cafes in the city, sitting on my laptop doing casual work and getting paid for it in GBP. I have a full-time job here too so the visa situation is solid until 2023 and probably beyond.

Plus you get to pay for stuff using your dong, so that's always a win right? Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Plus you get to pay for stuff using your dong, so that's always a win right? Laughing

Laughing

And the size of the currency means everything is priced in tens of thousands, or even millions. So we're all absolutely swimming in Vietnamese Dong Very Happy

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
A100man wrote:

Fair play.. I'm somewhat envious, however I get homesick if I travel as afar as the East Coast (Norfolk not New York). In my mind I'm a traveler but I give up easily, plus I have a bunch kids to take care of.

I was curious about the engine and googled some stuff, although I guess you already found this..

https://www.motorcyclesurvey.com/reviews/baja_motorsports/phoenix_250/

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I get homesick if I travel as afar as the East Coast (Norfolk not New York). In my mind I'm a traveler but I give up easily

What, so you just turn around and go home? Laughing

Quote:
plus I have a bunch kids to take care of.

I don't know why, I imagined you were old enough to have grown up kids.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Laughing

And the size of the currency means everything is priced in tens of thousands, or even millions. So we're all absolutely swimming in Vietnamese Dong Very Happy

Neck deep in Dong Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Quote:
plus I have a bunch kids to take care of.

I don't know why, I imagined you were old enough to have grown up kids.

I am. Just a late starter. First born when I was 41.
Frittered most of my 20s and 30s away in the Ale House.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:53 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngest when I was 45. I have pensions that pay out before he leaves school....

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I have literally been offered two jobs in Canada just before COVID and if I am honest the only thing that's stopping me is my flesh-anchor child Laughing Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread and nice pics.
Some may say, 'Shight bike in a Shighte Hole'.
But the pics look fab.
So fuck them who say so.
Cool

It looks like a Sukifuki.

Amarite?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Youngest when I was 45. I have pensions that pay out before he leaves school....

I've got a 3rd grandchild on the way and I haven't hit 50 Thinking

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 01 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not responsible for your grandchildren.

Admittedly I might think differently if I had some ... Thinking ... but as I haven't, then I simply see it that once your own child/ren have left home, you are entitled to be your own person again.

If they choose to have children, it's up to you if you want to stick around to be lumbered with them.

No doubt I will change my mind if I ever become a grandmother.
Meantime, my daughter is talking about getting a Ducati Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2