Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The death of Facebook

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:01 - 02 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Of course the easiest way of dealing with it is to just say no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73M7WeKjYfA
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 02 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
Islander wrote:

Of course the easiest way of dealing with it is to just say no.

I tried that. She refused to serve me. When was the last time you went into Halfords?

Maybe it was because I was buying AC gas? She claimed she couldn't process it on the till without an email address to send the receipt to.
There's a tenner deposit or so on the bottle, but a paper receipt is issued anyway, so I just tape that to the bottle and take it back when I but another.

The last time I was in Inverness which was a couple of years ago. I had no problems with them they just processed the purchases. I've always said no and never had an issue - they'll try to claim that they need it but it's nonsense. They'll always take the sale.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:02 - 02 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:

Whoever has Mickey.mouse@hotmail.com must be wondering why they keep on buying loads of car and bike sh1t in the UK. Laughing

Probably more likely that they are wondering who the pillock is who doesn't realise you don't have to give an email address to Hallfords to buy something in there.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:14 - 02 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
https://www.mentalhelp.net/anxiety/small-penis-syndrome/

hth. Thumbs Up

Seems I'm still tormenting you.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 02 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
What did Halfords do when you complained?

I have better things to do with my time.

They lost my custom and on the rare occasion I go to the normal stores, they now get mickey.mouse@hotmail.com

Enough time to whine about it here but not enough to confront them? How will organisations ever change their ways if they're unaware that anything's wrong?! That and you could at least angle for a gift voucher or something in lieu of compensation.

This relates to the Jungian concept of the integration of the Shadow. Going through life being agreeable to everyone (or at least staying silent about problems) is all well and good in the short term but bottling up anger means a) being pushed around by the likes of Halfords and b) bouts of uncontrollable rage when it all gets too much, often lashing out at ppl unrelated to the initial source of anger. "Why did you hit your wife?" "I had a bad day at work." That sort of thing.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:56 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Enough time to whine about it here but not enough to confront them?

Oh give over. Confront them?

What exactly do you think you might achieve by confronting "them"? Get offered a job on the till?

Let me bring you in on a little secret. Everyone is gathering data about you and selling it on. Everyone who takes data online. GDPR is a load of b0llocks. Rolling Eyes

What you you think the downtime and mass removal of data on all the large tech platforms was about on the day of the report of the Pandora Papers? Someone "confronted" large tech and they covered their 4rses.

You wont win this fight.

You already have a system in place for this sort of thing that takes a wee bit of technical knowledge to set up. From a muggle's perspective you've already done the hard part. You've then gathered information and analysed the situation. If you feel that Halfords done something wrong then lodge a complaint. Maybe you might get a gift token out of it. My wife complains to Sainsbury, Tesco, Unilever, all sorts and half the time get something back even if it's just an apology email.

Hey, maybe it all gets filled under 'B' for Bin but there is nobility in making the attempt. I would suggest that a company that considers their customers' opinions utterly worthless might not do as well as a competitor that occasionally listens but what do I know.

If more ppl got off their arses in service of the truth maybe this world wouldn't be such a shithole.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:23 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobility and having fingers that smell of racism doesn't normally go together.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I think FB in its current form has had its day.

But I do wonder where Meta will take us.
(as a civilisation, I mean. Not merely as Facebook users: I appreciate that not everyone is one of those)
He certainly seems to be jumping in boots-and-all with the Virtual Reality thing.

It's all a bit too Black Mirror for me at the moment.

Its duller than the hype, he just wants to get into the mobile phone business, Metaphone in 3, 2, ..........

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:

People sitting in their bedroom, without a real life, plugged into the Internet 24/7 is already reality for some on here, let alone the wider society. Wink

Well you couldn't escape it clearly.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Religion Netflix is the opiate of the masses.

So old school hip hop dude,

Television the drug of the nation
Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation
TV a cathode ray nipple the only wetnurse to produce a cripple.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:27 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Cable Tie wrote:

People sitting in their bedroom, without a real life, plugged into the Internet 24/7 is already reality for some on here, let alone the wider society. Wink

Well you couldn't escape it clearly.

Careful now, you don't want to be blocked by him as well...
Ribenapigeon This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
If you feel that Halfords done something wrong then lodge a complaint. Maybe you might get a gift token out of it.

You're not getting it are you?

Do you really think a company the size of Halfords is going to admit to breaking GDPR and selling on data?

It must be lovely living in such a naive world. Laughing

This is hardly difficult to set up, it's just a catch all address. Anyone can do this. You can just make up an email on the spot and it arrives at the catch all address, but "to" the address you made up. It's purely for my benefit to track which companies are scummy and lose my custom.

Not hard for you but given I've just off the phone with a client where I had to politely and slowly explain the difference between "hardware" and "software" such knowledge is not universal.

I suspect Halford's lawyers have some "...by volunteering your email address you consent to us butt-fucking you" clause in their Ts & Cs. What should happen is that the staff explain this when asking for the address but the whole thing revolves around exploiting human laziness - both on the part of the customer and the staff. But if they have breached all sorts of data protection rules on an illegal basis surely such information is valuable?

Anyhoo, you say "naïve" and I say "aspirational."

Keep telling yourself "I'm just one man, I can't make a difference" that worked out so well for the populations of Germany and Russia in the early 20th Century Sad

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
If you feel that Halfords done something wrong then lodge a complaint. Maybe you might get a gift token out of it.

You're not getting it are you?

Do you really think a company the size of Halfords is going to admit to breaking GDPR and selling on data?

It must be lovely living in such a naive world. Laughing

This is hardly difficult to set up, it's just a catch all address. Anyone can do this. You can just make up an email on the spot and it arrives at the catch all address, but "to" the address you made up. It's purely for my benefit to track which companies are scummy and lose my custom.

Then if you've already done this and have proof of them breaching data protection legislation, I assume you've reported the fact and presented the supporting evidence to the ICO.

You have, haven't you?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see. Just an "I don't like the GDPR" post then was it?

The ICO has pretty extensive powers and they use them. If you don't report stuff then they can't act so you really have nothing to complain about.

GDPR is working fine for me and everyone else I know. The extended rights it gives the individual are greater than they've ever been. It's up to individuals to report breaches. It's a good piece of legislation overall.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:

"Dear ICO, please can you stop Google, Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, Wahttapp, Instagram, the UK government and others from selling my data on?". Good luck with that one.

Do you understand consent? When you sign up for their services you agree to their T&Cs and effectively consent to their data use. If you don't like that then don't use the service or if you do, then limit what you make available and sign up under a pseudonym.

Islander wrote:
GDPR is working fine for me and everyone else I know. The extended rights it gives the individual are greater than they've ever been. It's up to individuals to report breaches. It's a good piece of legislation overall.

Cable Tie wrote:
Yeah, I love having to accept cookies on every fecking website I go on now. The vast majority of organisations who would abuse your data are from outside the EU and UK, so give little sh1t about GDPR, just like foreign call centres do with TPS.

Again, it's your choice. Either filter the cookie selection on the site when they ask or accept the lot. Or better still block cookies.

It's not difficult really. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4