BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DUNE

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: DUNE Reply with quote

Went to see Dune last night and it was amazing. So good that I am going to go back and watch it again.

Production values were fantastic considering it didn't have the most massive of budgets and the soundtrack and soundscape are absolutely S tier, if not the best I have heard in a live action film. [The best original soundtrack I have ever heard is the OST from the anime Tower of God by Kevin Penkin, it is incredible.]

Anyway, the film was stand-out amazing. I thought it was going to be a bit of a let-down because I have fond memories as a little boy sitting with my uncles watching the original DUNE (1984) on VHS (I was born almost a decade after the movie was out) and I have nostalgia about the pageantry and pantomime elements of that film, but I know that doesn't work anymore in the modern film era and was hoping the 2021 film wasn't going to be ham-fisted.

Incredible movie. I've not bought a Blu-ray in about 4 or 5 years but when this comes out with all the bonus features and extended scenes, etc I am getting it. I also bought the OST on iTunes.

This is probably the third-best movie I have ever seen. The best movie I have ever seen is Saving Private Ryan and is followed by Your Name.

I read the book years ago but I saw it's only a fiver in Tesco and I have an 8 hour flight coming up in 12 days so I am going to re-read it again.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:29 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's very bloody good. It's very much what the most recent Star Wars movies should have been.

The book is a slog. It's not the same as the movie at all. Nor the same as the Lynch version either. It's a lot of Paul sitting on his bed wittering to Chani about the weight on his shoulders as I recall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda Game of thrones in space but less sexy bits and humour.
It was pretty good, but I struggled to suspend disbelief
re the sand worms.
How do they move so fast in sand and how does such a massive creature get enough to eat?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:07 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
re the sand worms.
How do they move so fast in sand and how does such a massive creature get enough to eat?

That was your issue? I believe in the book the sandworms ingest the sand. It's not made clear how they get sustenance from that, but I assume they filter microscopic organisms (and larger creatures) out of the sand in the same way whales sift plankton.

I thought the fighting was great, the worldbuilding was good, the adaptation and removal of the dullness of the book was perfect. The decisions to show and not show parts of the story/creatures/the second half of the book were all deftly made and well judged. Yeah I thought it was awesome. The only criticism I have is that the source material doesn't leave a lot for characterisation, and the fact we got the level of characterisation we did was purely down to the scriptwriters and Villeneuve IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:19 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand worns eat spice, as well as plankton. The spice, worms and sand-trout are an ecosystem.

Spice (melange) is a geriatric drug as well as mind expanding. That's why the spacing guild navigators manage to mutate to the extreme needed so that they can bend space with their minds so there is no reason why the worms haven't taken centuries to get to their ultimate size.

Read all the books.....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:29 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made sure to go watch that one on the big screen.

You get a lot more from it having read the book.

I thought the character of Jessica in the film was a bit pathetic.

EDIT: It wasn't mentioned in the books but in the new film, they made a point about there being vibrations associated with the worm movements that made the sand behave like a fluid, people started to sink into the sand when a worm approached.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:37 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how the fuck do they ride the fuckers if they sink when they get near?

You're not thinking of liet/Keynes? That was a spice blow, not a worm.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:41 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So how the fuck do they ride the fuckers if they sink when they get near?

You're not thinking of liet/Keynes? That was a spice blow, not a worm.

They stand still and wait for an attack to a thumper, then they run over and lever one of the armor plates off of the back of the worm with a tool. This causes the worm to ride on top of the sand so that sand does not get inside the 'wound'.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:44 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they do that if the worms approach makes the sand behave like its liquid?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
re the sand worms.

Interesting as I always thought Game of thrones was essentially Dune.

I imagine the sandworms generate some sort of mega powerful frequency of vibrations which causes the sand to behave like a liquid. I spent too much time thinking about this thirty years ago when I read all the books.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:03 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does an earthworm do it? After that it's just a matter of scale.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are people actually arguing about the science of a science fiction movie? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it the other night... not normally my sort of thing but did enjoy it.

I knew nothing of the books or story beforehand and think I missed a fair bit of plot because of that. But can someone tell me why these incredibly advanced civilisations zoom around the universe in rocket ships and then fight each other with swords and spears?

And what's the deal with the dodgy ReadyBrek 'central heating for kids' electronic suit which works sometimes but not others?

Does anyone watch the series "Preacher" on Amazon Prime? If so you'll be familiar with "The Voice" which compels people to obey you unquestioningly... it's pretty much identical in sound and function to the one in Dune, which was interesting: can't be coincidental. "Preacher" is apparently based on some comic book, and obviously Dune is based on books... I wonder which came first, and how this was dealt with in the original stories?

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:34 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Are people actually arguing about the science of a science fiction movie? Laughing

Best not mention 'Tremors' then Very Happy

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How does an earthworm do it? After that it's just a matter of scale.

There are small bore tunneling machines that are essentially very powerful vibrators that do it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:40 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Saw it the other night... not normally my sort of thing but did enjoy it.

I knew nothing of the books or story beforehand and think I missed a fair bit of plot because of that. But can someone tell me why these incredibly advanced civilisations zoom around the universe in rocket ships and then fight each other with swords and spears?

And what's the deal with the dodgy ReadyBrek 'central heating for kids' electronic suit which works sometimes but not others?

You've answered your own question. The Holtzmann shields deflect anything and everything, except personal ones which are set up differently. If they blocked everything they would also block air and would suffocate the user. They are configured to allow anything slower than 6cm per second through, to allow air molecules to penetrate. This means that they are impervious to projectile weaponry. Lasguns work on them too, but if a lasgun using the Holtzmann effect hits a shield it causes a nuclear level explosion, either in the shield wearer, along the beam or in the lasgun itself.

So, the only weapon you can use is a bladed one. Preferably a shorter blade so it can be repositioned easily for a killing blow.

This is explained in the line "The slow blade penetrates the shield". It also explains why Paul doesn't immediately kill Jamis, because all of his training has been fast in defence but slow in attack. In the desert you can't use shields because it calls a worm, so Jamis has never fought in such a way. It's also why the Fremen carry guns, and why the Sardaukar use a lasgun to open the sealed door after Duncan dies.

I think there might be a mistake in the film because I believe the Harkonnens or the Sardaukar use a lasgun against Duncan when he's flying the Ornithopter. Luckily they miss. Maybe they don't care about triggering nuclear explosions? Or maybe ship based Lasguns don't have that problem?

I know that Atomics are also outlawed for use against other humans, and if anyone was to use one, all the great houses would rise up against the user and destroy them. It seems they all keep a huge stockpile of atomics though, just in case they ever meet any aliens.

They also don't use computers or robots because basically skynet happened, and a religious war started which destroyed all the 'thinking machines'.

{edit} God damn I'm a nerd. {edit}

Last edited by MarJay on 20:44 - 04 Nov 2021; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:44 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you are talking about shields?

They cannot stop anything moving slowly and if you point a lazer at them you get something like a small atomic weapon going off.

Plus they attract worms.

So no lazers or.projectile weapons and so swords and knives.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 20:55 - 04 Nov 2021; edited 1 time in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, thanks. Wink Missed that (dialogue wasn't brilliantly clear at the cinema TBH).

What about when Paul was play-fighting with Josh Brolin near the start, and the shields lit up red to denote a lethal blow? Weren't the shields protecting the users from blades then? Thinking

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:58 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Duncan and Lasguns, apparently his Orni's shields drop just before they fire a lasgun at him. Also there is some ropey science to do with lasguns that are fired from the air too...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:06 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ah OK, thanks. Wink Missed that (dialogue wasn't brilliantly clear at the cinema TBH).

What about when Paul was play-fighting with Josh Brolin near the start, and the shields lit up red to denote a lethal blow? Weren't the shields protecting the users from blades then? Thinking

Nope, in the 1984 film he says "If you fought one whit below your abilities, I'd have given you a good scar to remember it!"

Jean Luc Picard says it! And does some fighting carrying a Pug for some reason. It's a pretty weird film.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked it. It did a good job of "filming the unfilmable" but is it up there with the first Lord of the Rings trilogy? I'd have to see the next ones.

At least it's a serious stab at science fiction compared to... well pretty much everything bar The Expanse. I'm watching "Another Life" at the moment, the 2nd season is just as torturous as the first Sad

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:30 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

At least it's a serious stab at science fiction compared to... well pretty much everything bar The Expanse. I'm watching "Another Life" at the moment, the 2nd season is just as torturous as the first Sad

Well... There is very little 'science' in it. It's basically Star Wars before Star Wars. There are no computers, the spaceships, shields and lasers all use the same principle which is never explained. There is a feudal system of power, everyone fights with swords.

It's fantasy more than science fiction. But I like it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:32 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh the mini series of dune and children of dune did the books justice but still like the lynch version.

Haven't seen the new version yet.

I'm hoping that someone tries to film God emperor of dune....

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Tbh the mini series of dune and children of dune did the books justice but still like the lynch version.

Haven't seen the new version yet.

I'm hoping that someone tries to film God emperor of dune....

Sounds like a BCF Massif crowd fund project to me, casting call anyone?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:47 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are you nominating to play the lead role?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3