DUNE

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:02 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Sounds like a BCF Massif crowd fund project to me, casting call anyone?

If Dune 2 makes a similar amount of money to Dune part 1 then we won't have to worry. The series won't die until the grosses go down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Who are you nominating to play the lead role?

I suspect we're all too old Shocked

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:29 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

They also don't use computers or robots because basically skynet happened, and a religious war started which destroyed all the 'thinking machines'.

Which reminds me, they didn't really explain mentats very well either.

In the film, anyone with a black mark on their lower lip is a mentat who has been trained since birth to be effectively a human computer. The mark on their lip is a stain from a drug they take to "set their mind in motion". The stain is supposed to be a visible warning to others of their mentat status. Paul had undergone the first stage of mentat training (which is carried out without the knowledge of the recipient) prior to moving to Dune.

Likewise they didn't explain the diamond tattoo on Dr Yeuhs forehead indicates he has received imperial conditioning and should be mentally incapable of betraying his Duke.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:30 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Sounds like a BCF Massif crowd fund project to me, casting call anyone?

I nominate Cable Tie as Pieter.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:19 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Which reminds me, they didn't really explain mentats very well either.

They do show the Mentats doing calculations and rolling their eyes to do it though, which is a good way of 'showing and not telling'.

Part of the problem with the Lynch film is that it has SO much explanation in voiceover, they gave out glossary sheets to the press when they first showed the film to them. That to me indicates a studio who are not confident that their film explains well enough. I reckon the Villeneuve Dune does a better job and doesn't even use the inner monologues or voiceovers that the Lynch one does. More of that stuff will be explained in the 2nd movie, as it's more important there especially when <spoiler deleted>.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:21 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
More of that stuff will be explained in the 2nd movie, as it's more important there especially when they find Maddy.

FTFY

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could even suggest the Terminator films as a prequal. Not in the canonical sense but the whole point is a total rejection of AI and a deep suspicion of computer processing and automation in general. Except on IX of course Wink

That was missing from the Guild Navigator scene where the Emperor is trying to do small talk and he nervously asks about IX in the same way you'd blurt out "what about this weather, eh?" to a paranoid schizophrenic as he sharpens his machete...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:51 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Herbert did a story about it and his son finished off the story arc returning to the theme after he died based on notes he wrote.

Edit: On checking THe butlerian jihad was written by his son as well.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched this scene break-down by the director, it's pretty amazing to see how much thought went into all the little details about the scene even down to how the needle itself was held and designed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAA0sYkLI0

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://yts.mx/movies/dune-2021

That's tonight's TV sorted Thumbs Up
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
https://yts.mx/movies/dune-2021

That's tonight's TV sorted Thumbs Up

While I am quite happy to pirate on occasion: this movie is definitely worth seeing in an actual cinema to get the soundscape effect you will never get at home from a stream. I honestly think the score is just as important as the cinematography in this movie.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinemas are too peopley.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:48 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Cinemas are too peopley.

There were about six in when I saw it.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's five too many.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:14 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Cinemas are too peopley.

There were about six in when I saw it.

So, all of the sober people in Scotland then.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 05 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
That's five too many.

Not only that, those people have cottoned on that if you purchase food then you can watch with your mask off so now there's even more twunts chomping through bags of popcorn while you're trying to whatch the film. Plus covid whinge etc......

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune wasn't as good as The Phantom Menace
it needed more Jar Jar type characters

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:00 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Dune wasn't as good as The Phantom Menace
it needed more Jar Jar type characters

I can put up with a lot but that's a step too far. Enema'd

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it the other night. I loved it. I do remember the book years ago and I wasnt a fan of the David Lynch version.

It seemed to dumb the book down a whole lot, On the plus side it cut out a lot of the waffling (if only they done that to the LOTR series, both of them) And made it a lot more simple to follow. It seemed to pander to the generation we are in now where the attention span is oh look theres an explosion instead of the story.

But as they said at the end, the story is just beginning. Lets see how well they get on with the fremen side of things next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:28 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, there is a whole section of waffling from a future narrator at the beginning of every chapter of the book.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought this version was very good, cinematography was beautiful, gonna watch it again this week.

why o why couldn't the new star wars trilogy have this level of quality!

this matrix 4 better be good!!!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't have proper space ships like we used to have either

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F38.media.tumblr.com%2F4201c55324065bdae11658f05a0459a0%2Ftumblr_nbi2yxpGDb1s2wio8o1_500.gif&f=1&nofb=1

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:11 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

this matrix 4 better be good!!!

If I come out of the cinema understanding what's going on, I will demand my money back.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a mistake. I should've waited for the concluding part to be released, and then binged it. Now I've got to wait aaaaaages Smile

Wikipedia wrote:
Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures officially greenlit Dune: Part Two on October 26, 2021, with a scheduled release date of October 20, 2023.

It's been a few decades since I watched it, but now feel the need to rewatch the 1984 version. Might be a bad move, I know it got slated, but I enjoyed it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:27 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the story, the lynch one is epic. Not so much if you don't.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3