Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Carbs vs EFI - FIGHT!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:48 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Carbs vs EFI - FIGHT! Reply with quote

Following on from the FortNine video Ryan's central argument is motorcycles only do port injection therefore the ECU is effectively running a carb emulation.

These vids have form for being... contentious but I think he's missing a few key points. Emulating a carb means you can emulate changing a jet up or down, swapping a fuel map out for temperature or altitude changes. TBF it's an easy job to swap out a jet on a single carb bike but you do have to stop to do it! Okay, so there's Lectron and SmartCarb missed off the video but they're more a "money to burn" item rather than a viable solution.

Anyhoo, correct me if I'm wrong but surely the elephant in the room is closed-loop. Cruising along in a deliberately lean condition to save all those asthmatic kittens while the water cooling of a modern bike compensates for the extra heat doesn't seem like something you could do with simple carbs Thinking

Don't get me wrong though, there's a beautiful simplicity in an old skool, points driven, no battery, AC lights, kick'n'go bike. A condensor and a coil is all the electronics one should need Smile

<addendum> and I'm not sure I buy his rant against ethanol.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:09 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some more data and experimentation is needed, in this case.

Also, separating the matter of ignition from caburetion vs FI. Points ignition is by no means deficient, whatsoever. However, temperature, atmospheric conditions, turbulence effects and such are all relevant as to carbs vs FI.

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:25 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem with EFI is that you have a closed source black box and no specifications as how to build a replacement. So they're holding a club over your head as to if you're allowed to use your own vehicle dependant on if you can get hold of a proprietary ECU that manages the FI. This is not acceptable.

So...

Speeduino
microRusEFI
Fuelino -> https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/arduino/optimized/4X/6/a/d/6adce92fe6c50731a118ad7219414c8ea67ef379_2_500x487.jpeg

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/arduino/optimized/4X/6/a/d/6adce92fe6c50731a118ad7219414c8ea67ef379_2_500x487.jpeg

...and there's definately other attempts to create open source ECU's that run on cheap arduino development boards. If EFI is included with a vehicle it MUST BE specified in technical diagrams. We should boycott all companies who think they can black box us out of our own vehicles. We should black box them.

I'd definately like to have a go at getting an open source ECU working.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:10 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a carbs and injection are doing the same thing, i.e. making sure the motor gets the right amount of air mixed with fuel.

Injection lets you more finely control this, for instance allowing a nice lean closed loop. It also allows for a much larger choke size as you aren't nearly as reliant on intake velocity to ensure the fuel is mixed.

Carb's do have their advantages, they are passive devices that don't require any power, can be made with a very low technology base and actually do work very well for the most part.

You can get open source aftermarket ECU's and have a fully programmable injection setup that can be adjusted in ways you just cant do with carbs, but yes moar complicated for the home tuner.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me FI any day of the week. I won’t look at a bike with carbs because fook that for a laugh. See lots more posts on here from people with carb issues than injection. They might be simpler but they seem to not work properly a lot more. There’s too many benefits to FI that you don’t get with late 1800s tech.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs - often neglected and not properly cleaned during recommissions, plus they can easily be fuhked with by the mustgofaster brigade. Thus they get 'carbs is crap 'rep.

vs

EFI - rely on sensors 'n' stuff which are difficult to test also high pressure fuel pump microprocessor board etc.. = too much stuff to go wrong (for the amateur)

six of one Rolling Eyes ...

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:11 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had loads of problems with carbed bikes over the years. Blocked jets, erratic fuelling, unbalanced carbs etc etc.

I've never had a problem with FI. I've probably had a similar number of FI bikes to carbed ones... go figure.

When FI bikes first came out people were like "But I can service my own carbs!" Yeah, because they need it, and FI pretty much doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:16 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same video, he did touch on the big win for FI. It works properly with modern fuel.

A properly set up carb will feel no different to properly set up FI to the rider.

They both work, they both have advantages and disadvantages. I would rather be fixing a bike with a fucked carb than fucked FI, because it's cheaper to replace the parts on a carb. I would prefer to own a new bike with FI, because it's more reliable.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've had loads of problems with carbed bikes over the years. Blocked jets, erratic fuelling, unbalanced carbs etc etc.

I've never had a problem with FI. I've probably had a similar number of FI bikes to carbed ones... go figure.

When FI bikes first came out people were like "But I can service my own carbs!" Yeah, because they need it, and FI pretty much doesn't.

I agree with all of this. I have never ever had an issue with FI on any of my bikes while carb bikes need fettleing at regular intervals.

Also why have a carb for each cylinder? Four pot bike engines with four carbs always seemed over kill for me. I mean 4 pot car engines just had one carb in most cases so why did bikes need 4? I presume it's all to do with the tuning and getting the power out of a smallish engine but there must have been a work round to fix that.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:33 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having chased a fueling problem on the teenagers Mito for way too long, my love for carbs is waning, I'd say I prefer injection.

One of the floats had a little bit of fuel in, only discovered after replacing most of the rest of the carb internals then in a bored moment, shining a bright torch through it.

However, I want to get rid of the pops and bangs from the 748 but that's got a modified ECU and I expect that it's going to be somewhat more complex to sort than replacing a load of carb bits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did nobody tell me carbs need regular attention? I’ve been doing bike maintenance wrong all this time.

There’s a saying, “90% of all ‘carburettor problems’ are electrical”, ie. Ignition.

On the other hand I have been having starting problems since E10 came in, which I didn’t expect. Not sure if it’s just a coincidence.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the bikes I’ve owned and ridden in my biking life, most have been carbed.
I’m not of the “must go faster” brigade.
Only two bikes with carbs have been fuelling problematic.
A nasty BSA Bantam and a hateful Yamaha XS 400.
Even my CZ 125 with it’s Jikov carb never gave me any real fuelling problems.
Any problems with any of the other carbed bikes was relatively straightforward. (Keeping it standard).

Any fuelling problems with any of my fuel injected bikes have always had to go to the shop at a big cost and much inconvenience.

Give me slide carbs any day.

My Penny Coin Penny Coin

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFI is cheaper whilst being compliant with modern emission requirements. Yes, you can build a carburettor that would implement a various compensations for temperature, pressure, fuel quality, but price of such component will be drastically higher than that of couple of really cheap mass produced sensors, solenoid injectors and one microcontroller. Also the EFI can compensate using exhaust oxygen sensor for different fuels to achieve near Stoichiometric ratio for most of the time - quite important for catalytic converters (as they say) and I am not sure if that can be easily done with carbs.

that is why most modern bikes use EFI.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I agree with all of this. I have never ever had an issue with FI on any of my bikes while carb bikes need fettleing at regular intervals.

Also why have a carb for each cylinder? Four pot bike engines with four carbs always seemed over kill for me. I mean 4 pot car engines just had one carb in most cases so why did bikes need 4? I presume it's all to do with the tuning and getting the power out of a smallish engine but there must have been a work round to fix that.

Laughing my CCM has two carbs for 1 cylinder.
Never understood why people like Fortnine say you need to clean the carb if you leave the bike for 4 weeks. I went a month or two without riding last year quite a few times and the bike started fine afterwards. Had a carbed cbr125 too and that didnt mind being sat for a while either.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "from the car world" which is not as relevant to bikes is flex fuel sensors - swapping the fuel map dependant on Ethanol content. I think Ryan's point was bikes got pushed into dropping carbs with a lot less of the tangible benefits compared to their 4 wheeled cousins.

I agree with the problem of black boxed functionality. I'm part way through a treatise on The Second Enlightenment and the ECU is a classic example of techno-feudalism where only the "guild masters" have the expertise and the plebs just put up with what they're given. It's a bit of an extreme example, how about something more basic...

Today I helped a friend fix their Harley. (Mentioned previously) it had the engine warning light and error codes related to the rear oxygen sensor. What's meant to happen is drop the bike off at the dealer along with a big stack of cash and it would later be returned in fully working order with the intervening period being a mystery to the owner of the bike. FFS they should just replace the engine warning light with a dollar sign!

Anyhoo, a generic sensor from China did the job so even if it doesn't last as long as the (probably identical) Harley part costing four times as much we've exactly isolated where the problem is just from reading a manual and surfing the Interwebs. "Closed-source" and "proprietary" are hangovers from the Old World and things like the OpenEFI, rusEFI and Speeduino are great examples of the information genie escaping from the bottle.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck them tube 'experts'
FI is more efficient than carbs which is just a fancy tap/fuel dribbling device.
The downside of FI as mentioned above
is the closed shop which shuts owner out of them
or at least makes getting useful info a chore on some bikes.

Crabs are so much more tinkerable for owners who don't want or cant spend a shit ton of dosh in shop.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The central problem with EFI is saying "you own most of a bike, just not this bit!"

Not that free and open access to the ECU would solve much as one would still need access to a dyno... same as doing a proper job tuning a carb'd bike.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the fuck wants to dyno their bike?
If you race then OK but for normal uses its way OTT.
Carb/EFI whatever
Just service them properly then get on and ride the fuckers
while you still can

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

EFI - rely on sensors 'n' stuff which are difficult to test also high pressure fuel pump microprocessor board etc.. = too much stuff to go wrong (for the amateur)

six of one Rolling Eyes ...

Difficult to test? The system literally provides a code telling you where any issue is.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple carbs can be difficult to set up correctly.

On the old Kawasaki 4-cylinder bikes, removing the bank of carbs is a pain in the neck. A lot of swearing and getting cuts all over your hands (and possibly breaking the tab that aligns your clutch cable with your clutch pivot) is on the cards when you try to remove them. Then, of course, once removed, you have to clean them and (by now) renew seals as required, between them. This means taking them all apart and splitting them. You may find that a couple of the steel pins that hold the float have seized solid. You can't head them up or you'll melt the plastic floats. You try knocking them out by bracing their supports, but you fail, and you break the carb body. You search for a new carb body, and you find they're REALLY expensive. You have no choice so you buy it anyway. You put your carbs back together. A diaphragm has a hole, you find. You can't find one so you fix it with a latex glove and vulcanising rubber. You roughly bench synchronise your carb bank. You put it back on the bike. Your carb holding rubbers are too hard. You get some evergreen oil and try to soften them. It works for 3 out of 4. You search online for a new rubber. You find they're still being made, but they're slightly different - they no longer have the brass spigot used for balancing the carbs. You cut your hands up again putting the carbs back on the bike. You start the bike and it races. You discover a very tiny vacuum leak. You solve this with some Threebond. You haven't properly balanced your carbs, and you cannot, because you don't have that carb rubber with the spigot. You ride around for a bit and the Threebond degrades at over 150 degrees. The vacuum leak returns and now you have to fix it again.

If your main purpose in buying that bike had been to enjoy riding an old beast of a sportsbike like an early GSXR, or simply to have a capable long-distance bike for commuting or touring, you hate carbs by now...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Difficult to test? The system literally provides a code telling you where any issue is.

Not by choice, IIRC the manufacturers did that only after government edict.

Bhud wrote:
...a tale of woe - or - normal life before EFI...

Come now, it was only half as bad as that Rolling Eyes

EFI is arguably better in operation but at least carbs are yours to tinker with as you please. TBF the "black box" nature of the modern world pervades an ever increasing number of products. TVs and toasters don't have souls though so no one cares Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

EFI is arguably better in operation but at least carbs are yours to tinker with as you please. TBF the "black box" nature of the modern world pervades an ever increasing number of products. TVs and toasters don't have souls though so no one cares Laughing

You're absolutely right. It's not going to put me off my next old Kawasaki. I think carbs might even depress classic bike prices in the short to medium term future. There won't be any shortage of people who will be able to supply good and cheap parts, after having picked up a 4-cyl project that never came to fruition because the owner felt it was all a bit too much. However much fun or desirable a bike may be, is it ever really worth more than £n (where n is subjective)? It's like a book. Different people draw a line in their heads at a firm maximum price they'd be willing to pay for any book. I look forward to when Ebay is flooded with viable 4-cylinder Japanese project bikes at around the £300 mark.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do still get overenthusiastic youngsters on the forums trying to squeeze some extra horses out of their 50cc scooter, a year seemingly like an eternity at 16. But the "carb aware" are generally the older generation Thinking

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 06 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw i've ridden good and bad of both

w800 efi was lovely - better than w650 carb, i thought

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem with carb bikes. Never had a problem with the two FI bikes I've owned, including one back in 1985.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3