Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Difficult to test? The system literally provides a code telling you where any issue is.

Not by choice, IIRC the manufacturers did that only after government edict.

Doesn’t matter if it was Santa or Bin Laden who decided that. It exists.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m going to raise the topic of the FI on/off throttle, if only to use the word ‘snatch.’ Do modern bikes still have that problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I’m going to raise the topic of the FI on/off throttle, if only to use the word ‘snatch.’ Do modern bikes still have that problem?

Surely that has to be a result of other factors such as stringent emissions requirements or something like that making low rpm fuelling difficult to get right? In 1985, my Kwak Turbo had none of that. My Street Triple had a Power Commander fitted, so no idea if they had it on standard (2011 model), and the PC dealt with it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw the worst bike i rode for fuelling was an mt03 (the old version) - it surged on constant 40mph throttle and was a handful at mini roundabouts and the like - still fun though; it did sign off really quickly, mind you

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Surely that has to be a result of other factors such as stringent emissions requirements or something like that making low rpm fuelling difficult to get right?

Maybe, but I thought it was also due to the digital nature of the FI controller.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MT07/XSR700 is meant to be bad for it but I just took a bit of the slack out the throttle cable and it seems a lot better, maybe I've just got used to it. The Rebel 500 had no problem at all. The SV650 I had for a month or so had that clutch pull, throttle blip feature which I can't say I cared for so I'll not pass comment.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Doesn’t matter if it was Santa or Bin Laden who decided that. It exists.

Ah but if it were also mandated that the working of ECUs were documented things like the VW emissions scandal might not have happened.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Surely that has to be a result of other factors such as stringent emissions requirements or something like that making low rpm fuelling difficult to get right?

Maybe, but I thought it was also due to the digital nature of the FI controller.

I don't think so. I think digital systems are more than capable of such quick response that they CAN be fine for control of fuelling if allowed to get on with it unhindered. Again, I refer you to my 1985 Kawasaki, not to mention remaps, Power Commanders &c that get rid of the surging. But then, I'm not sure why emissions standard requirements should make it so difficult to get right.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:20 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injection: Bike starts and runs.
Carbs: Bike doesn't always start or run.

Conclusion: Injection wins!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

My bike is carbs. It has never failed to start in over 50,000 miles.

Conclusion: Carbs win!

Confused

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

You forgot the choke!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel injection is more complex and makes other maintenance more difficult (loads of plumbing under the tank to deal with etc). Injection is less susceptible to issues with stale fuel though. It’s just all the other crap it needs, fuel pump, sensors etc. Just a pain in the arse for home spannering and tuning. Bin the airbox and vac tap and carbs are lighter and simpler.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:31 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Confused

None of my carbed bikes ever failed to start either.

But out there in the wide world, a large proportion of the problems with older bikes come down to carbs.

I'm on a number of Suzuki Bandit forums and groups and by far the most common problems reported are carb related. And you simply don't get anywhere near the same number of issues reported with the injected bikes.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with a FI bike, but I've only owned nearly-new FI bikes. I've had a few carb'd bikes, one was a nightmare initially but it had been neglected massively before I got it. The other is faultless. For me, I like components that are manageable at home. FI - forget it, it's a pro job unless you're seriously kitted up and knowledgeable. Carbs meanwhile are home-serviceable and straightforward to deal with.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs are smooth, predictable, and reliable, they were around for aeons before Greta. Mine have been running since 2016 without any issue, the only reason I pulled and cleaned them was due to a faulty coil giving the impression it was a carb fault (99.⁹⁹⁹% of carb faults are electrical).

Since Euro fiddlers got involved, FI did have snatchy throttle issues in many bikes, and the solution to make them smooth again is to override the emissions Euro gubbins and pay for a remap.

This green revolution is costing a lot of money to make vehicles perform properly, DPF removals, emissions test fiddling, putting piss in a separate tank in a car, vehicle remapping to unleash the true potential or smooth out the throttle. A lot of people are making a living from it.

Progress.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Confused

None of my carbed bikes ever failed to start either.

But out there in the wide world, a large proportion of the problems with older bikes come down to carbs.

I'm on a number of Suzuki Bandit forums and groups and by far the most common problems reported are carb related. And you simply don't get anywhere near the same number of issues reported with the injected bikes.

I'm not sure that carbs age as well as injection, but I've never owned a high mileage injection bike to find out.
The fuelling on my current bike is perfect throughout the rev range, but it has had carb mods done. Still carbs though. If I were choosing another bike, I don't think whether it was carbs or injection would be much of a consideration. I'd be more interested in if it had been properly looked after if 2nd hand, and if new, wouldn't even think about it, assuming the model was known to be generally reliable.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
In the same video, he did touch on the big win for FI. It works properly with modern fuel.

How true this is, that modern fuel separates and will screw up carbs if left for a while is critical for me.

I've been intending on recommissioning my (carbed) VFR750 over winter, and if it all went well, selling my (FI) VFR800 in the spring, mainly because they both seem much of a muchness in terms of the riding experience, and after 15 years of ownership I have a much bigger emotional connection to the 750.

But I'm definitely a girly fair weather rider. My bikes get garaged for at least a couple of months over winter. If that means the 750 is going to need to have the carbs off, but the 800 isn't, that's the death knell for the 750.

I'm just not sure how much stock I can put in what he's saying about the behaviour of modern fuel.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Robby wrote:
In the same video, he did touch on the big win for FI. It works properly with modern fuel.

How true this is, that modern fuel separates and will screw up carbs if left for a while is critical for me.

I've been intending on recommissioning my (carbed) VFR750 over winter, and if it all went well, selling my (FI) VFR800 in the spring, mainly because they both seem much of a muchness in terms of the riding experience, and after 15 years of ownership I have a much bigger emotional connection to the 750.

But I'm definitely a girly fair weather rider. My bikes get garaged for at least a couple of months over winter. If that means the 750 is going to need to have the carbs off, but the 800 isn't, that's the death knell for the 750.

I'm just not sure how much stock I can put in what he's saying about the behaviour of modern fuel.

' a couple of months' ? Meh, I think you're panicking too soon. Drain the carbs if you're that worried and sling a blanket over the tank to minimise condensation. Give it a season at least before you succumb to the E10 'demon'.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of Ethanol Demons:

Drivers mixing E5 and E10 fuel in bid to retain fuel economy after issues with new petrol

Clickbait journalism much?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:

' a couple of months' ? Meh, I think you're panicking too soon. Drain the carbs if you're that worried and sling a blanket over the tank to minimise condensation. Give it a season at least before you succumb to the E10 'demon'.

Mine sat unused for two years. Charged the battery, started easily and ran smoothly. Eventually it won't, I'm sure, but I really expected it not to after two years.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I now watched the (very polished and authoritative sounding) video and it confirms what I thought of this bloke after his 'counter leaning bollox...

one of the YouTube comments sums it up reasonably well, although I don't know about the emissions thing..

Well..... as a veteran mechanic of 25 years I can assure you it was a pretty basic attempt to explain the difference. He makes some good points, but is dead wrong on others. Ethanol fuel alone WILL NOT “gum up” in just a few weeks. Buying low quality fuels and poor storage habits of the bike WILL cause issues. People (and lower quality mechanics) are always quick to blame ethanol when the problem is in fact not the fuels fault. The fact that motorcycles use what we call a “speed density” system is really pretty irrelevant to well, anything. The automotive world used the same system for around 10 years before going to multi port injection with the ability to more precisely match the fuel/air ratio. This was done for.... emissions. Nothing else. Motorcycles simply don’t need all the other garbage because they are small enough to be able to pass emission standards without them. This is also why you can still find carbureted bikes. (Last knew there still are anyway.) Once again, I watched a video by someone with a marginal understanding of mechanics, and even less understanding of the why and how things are built the way they are.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Mine sat unused for two years. Charged the battery, started easily and ran smoothly. Eventually it won't, I'm sure, but I really expected it not to after two years.

With E10? I think I left my VFR for 9 months at one point, and saw a similar thing. But the behaviour of old style fuel when stored over long periods is kind of a known quantity ("It goes off..........eventually"), but the new ethanol mixes are the unknown part.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

With E10? I think I left my VFR for 9 months at one point, and saw a similar thing. But the behaviour of old style fuel when stored over long periods is kind of a known quantity ("It goes off..........eventually"), but the new ethanol mixes are the unknown part.

I dunno. Is E10 the standard pump fuel now? What about 2 years ago?

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I think the premium fuel is E5. The cheap stuff is E10.

There's another issue concerning ethanol and that is a heat rise in the cylinder due to the difference in flash point.

You can get ethanol out of fuel by putting the E10 in a transparent container. Put some water in. The water will absorb the ethanol and seperate it from the fuel, then sit in the bottom. You can pump off the pure'ish petrol from the top. You'll have to eat the ten percent loss or bottle it, put a label on it and sell it to the off license.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

E10 has been the standard since 1st September 2021. E5 labelling was mandated 1st September 2019 but it may have actually been in use before that (quick google doesn't give any definitive answers). People seem to think that E10 is more of an issue than E5 though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3