Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best online place to sell my bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Poita This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Best online place to sell my bike? Reply with quote

Poita wrote:

Is my price too high?
And is there a better place to post the bike for sale?

Yep and nope.
Its Chinese 125, they don't hold value like the big 4.

As they churn these things out like sausages
it was probably obsolete when you bought it and the next
model has already superseded it.

Factor in depreciation for what isn't regarded as a quality machine in the first place and you need to find someone who, like you,
went full retard and thinks it's the mutts nuts.

I reckon you'd have to drop a good 30% to get most folk interested

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:27 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking into account depreciation, assume to lose 30% in the first year.

So about £1,400 max.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:39 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2k is a joke and £1,500 would be lucky.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/9800/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=keeway+tx125&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

£1,200 or £1,300 I suppose is more realistic. Maybe advertise at £1,500 and expect people to knock the price down.

New vehicles depreciate a lot as some as you leave the dealership and even more so with a cheap 125cc.

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Best online place to sell my bike? Reply with quote

[quote="WD Forte"][quote="Poita"]
Is my price too high?
And is there a better place to post the bike for sale?[/quote]

Factor in depreciation for what isn't regarded as a quality machine in the first place and you need to find someone who, like you,
[/quote]

I guess this is an example of how just because someone is an ayole doesn't mean they can't give useful feedback.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but you're the 'ayole' who bought it

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:34 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buyers are going to assume it's fucked, and you're getting rid after trying to use the "warranty" it came with.

So even at £1500 or less, expect a lot of questions, poking around, and wasted time. Consider in advance what sort of deposit you want to hold in your hand prior to allowing a test ride.

Tricky one to sell. For 2 grand, I can get a brand new one. For £1500, I can have a used Japanese 125. Your market is people who don't want to spend 2 grand on a new Chinese 125, but still have access to £1500 without having to get dealership finance.

A lot of potential buyers will be twats.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:30 - 07 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Best online place to sell my bike? Reply with quote

Poita wrote:

I guess this is an example of how just because someone is an ayole doesn't mean they can't give useful feedback.

Is that like a mayo but with garlic in it?

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="WD Forte"]Maybe, but you're the 'ayole' who bought it[/quote]

No maybe about it. You are clearly just one of those truly unpleasant types.

Nothing wrong with buying a bike because you like the way it looks. I particularly do not like bikes with wide petrol tanks and I'm not qualified to buy Honda CRF 250 which is the style I like.
So the Keeway was a fun first bike for me and one that I liked the look and feel off.
Now my situation has changed and I happen to need a car and can't run both.
Nothing retarded about the choice as it was a considered one that fit my preference even if it didn't fit yours.

But yeah, trawl the posts so you can crap on people and feel superior. Or, learn from the other posters who prefer to be helpful without being a douche.

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Robby"]Buyers are going to assume it's fucked, and you're getting rid after trying to use the "warranty" it came with.

So even at £1500 or less, expect a lot of questions, poking around, and wasted time. Consider in advance what sort of deposit you want to hold in your hand prior to allowing a test ride.

Tricky one to sell. For 2 grand, I can get a brand new one. For £1500, I can have a used Japanese 125. Your market is people who don't want to spend 2 grand on a new Chinese 125, but still have access to £1500 without having to get dealership finance.

A lot of potential buyers will be twats.[/quote]

Thanks Robby, that's really helpful.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stick it on Ebay. Not as a Classified Ad but as an auction, with a buy-it-now.

I sometimes scour Ebay looking for interesting bikes. I enter my search query and it puts the classifieds up first. I just skim 5 pages ahead until the classifieds stop. This is because bikes sold under the classifieds tend to be overpriced, in my opinion. If you are serious about selling, then I've found that a normal Ebay auction with a buy-it-now works best.

On that other matter, I wouldn't claim to be a genius myself with some of my bike purchases and my bike history. The way I see it is, you put 950km (590 miles) on a bike that cost £2150. When you sell it, you'll probably get £1400 for it. So that's £750 depreciation, plus the sunk cost of your CBT, your helmet, any gear you might have bought, your insurance and your tax. But never mind that. Just the depreciation loss alone amounts to £1.27 per mile. If you weren't selling it, it's a crapshoot as to when/how it will break and what it would cost you then - that bike is an unknown quantity and quite different from the Honda CRF250. In short, there's no dignified exit from a choice to buy a bike like that.

Now, as I said, I'm a retard when it comes to spending too much on project bikes that aren't worth it. However, I think you've got to reflect, take the comments here on the chin and chalk this down to a learning experience.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:35 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Best online place to sell my bike? Reply with quote

Poita wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

You might not like what he has said or even the way he has said it but every word is correct. Chinese 125's are pretty much the white goods of the bike world. Mostly bought by Mummys and Daddys for their little love because, usually wrongly, they think a brand new bike is better than a second hand bike, irrespective of it's manufacturer.

The price you advertised it for is pretty rediculous if you think about it, £155 less than a brand new bike? To use the time worn phrase 'You're 'aving a larf'.

I'd be amazed if you get much over a grand which is harsh on you but the way of the world. Sorry but I can't dress it up to be much more palatable than that.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:25 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, a second hand Chinese 125 is worth the square root of fuck all. That's a £1200 bike if you're lucky.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poita wrote:
WD Forte wrote:
Maybe, but you're the 'ayole' who bought it

No maybe about it. You are clearly just one of those truly unpleasant types.

Wrong. WD is a respected* knowledgeable contributor who has also helped many 125'ers with technical issues. Being the messenger of bad news does not make you a 'douche' whatever the hell that means.

* inspite of a fondness for com-star wheels and gurl-scoots.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:56 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone had a hissy-fit and it wasn't directed at me?

Confused

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile me thinking about when it eventually comes time to sell my own Chinese 125cc:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/277/805/e07.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:11 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Someone had a hissy-fit and it wasn't directed at me?

Confused
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Best online place to sell my bike? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You might not like what he has said or even the way he has said it but every word is correct. Chinese 125's are pretty much the white goods of the bike world. Mostly bought by Mummys and Daddys for their little love because, usually wrongly, they think a brand new bike is better than a second hand bike, irrespective of it's manufacturer.

Not disputing any of the above, but is it not likely that some of the same Mummies and Daddies (ie, who know nothing whatsoever about bikes and the implications of buying Chinese) will also be swayed to buy the OP's machine at the right price?

I don't really see why the same sort of folk who are prepared to buy a brand new Chinese 125 (ie, not you, me, or 99% of other BCFers) won't also buy a second-hand one .

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Best online place to sell my bike? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Not disputing any of the above, but is it not likely that some of the same Mummies and Daddies (ie, who know nothing whatsoever about bikes and the implications of buying Chinese) will also be swayed to buy the OP's machine at the right price?.

Possibly, but parents buying a bike for their precious offspring are likely to value the supposed warranty/reliability/new bike smell, of a brand new bike quite highly, and are probably willing to pay the extra to get it, given that they know nothing about bikes, it will give them some comfort that they'll be ok if it goes wrong.

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bhud"]Just stick it on Ebay. Not as a Classified Ad but as an auction, with a buy-it-now.

I sometimes scour Ebay looking for interesting bikes. I enter my search query and it puts the classifieds up first. I just skim 5 pages ahead until the classifieds stop. This is because bikes sold under the classifieds tend to be overpriced, in my opinion. If you are serious about selling, then I've found that a normal Ebay auction with a buy-it-now works best.

On that other matter, I wouldn't claim to be a genius myself with some of my bike purchases and my bike history. The way I see it is, you put 950km (590 miles) on a bike that cost £2150. When you sell it, you'll probably get £1400 for it. So that's £750 depreciation, plus the sunk cost of your CBT, your helmet, any gear you might have bought, your insurance and your tax. But never mind that. Just the depreciation loss alone amounts to £1.27 per mile. If you weren't selling it, it's a crapshoot as to when/how it will break and what it would cost you then - that bike is an unknown quantity and quite different from the Honda CRF250. In short, there's no dignified exit from a choice to buy a bike like that.

Now, as I said, I'm a retard when it comes to spending too much on project bikes that aren't worth it. However, I think you've got to reflect, take the comments here on the chin and chalk this down to a learning experience.[/quote]

Thanks Bhud. Great advice there and very helpful.

On the other matter, I'm happy to get bad news and as you say chalk it down to a learning experience. However, I will never accept people such as that unpleasant person speaking down to me. There's no call for it and if someone does it then they are going to get called out on it every time. lol, yes that is time consuming but I can't abide the type that needlessly likes to demean others.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:46 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I'm going to call you a cockwomble and be done with it. WD was very gentle when he explained what your bike was worth.

Chinese stuff is generally shit when they design it themselves. They can't build a jet engine for toffee.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 16:47 - 08 Nov 2021; edited 1 time in total

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DJP"]Mate, a second hand Chinese 125 is worth the square root of fuck all. That's a £1200 bike if you're lucky.[/quote]

Pretty sure the square root of fuck all isn't £1,200 :)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:48 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poita wrote:
DJP wrote:
Mate, a second hand Chinese 125 is worth the square root of fuck all. That's a £1200 bike if you're lucky.

Pretty sure the square root of fuck all isn't £1,200 Smile

Still half what you thought what it was worth, cockwomble.

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

@A100man

Wrong yourself.
Someone being helpful does not mean they can't also be an ayole. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
It's a simple metric, calling someone a retard for no other reason than you like shitting on people who don't' know things you know makes you an ayole . . . regardless of what useful information you convey to them in the same post.

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 08 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nobby the Bastard"]Someone had a hissy-fit and it wasn't directed at me?

:?[/quote]

Not letting ayoles shit on you is not having a hissy fit.
You have a strange value system. I suppose you think keeping your head down when ayels call you a retard is noble? I do not.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4