Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I Hate Insurance Companies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:28 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: I Hate Insurance Companies Reply with quote

No, not the usual.

A month ago I was knocked off my bike by a van. The other sides insurer admitted liability, in writing, pretty much the next day. My bike was collected for assessment and a hire bike dropped off within days.

So far, so good. And a few days later they pinged me a text to say that following an initial inspection my bike was a probable write off. Oh well, shit happens.

But since then, zip, zilch, nada. Nothing heard.

So I phoned them up today. Turns out that it took their official assessor 2 weeks to even look at the bike and he thinks that it might be economically fixable.

And that was three weeks ago and they still haven't made a decision as whether they want to fix it or write it off. And the guy on the phone had the cheek to moan about the cost of the hire bike – I felt like saying: “Well pull your finger out then”.

No wonder claims rack up so many costs, most of which are probably due to delays introduced by the insurers themselves.

Knobs!

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:51 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All due respect, stop moaning on here and start chasing them properly. Call them up every day or every hour if you need to. Drop in the words Ombudsman, FOS Reportable Complaint, Material Distress and Financially disadvantaged.

Search the FCA register for contact emails and ceo email . Com

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:33 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I absolutely hear you but there's no actual downside for me.

I have a bike to ride and they've already made a (more than) satisfactory offer for my bike should they decide to write it off. And I'm going to be claiming for personal injury as well (quite genuinely, I should point out).

I would prefer to have my bike repaired since I've owned it from new but I won't be out of pocket whatever way this plays out.

But I'd like to move on and the logical side of me says: Why delay? You've accepted liability, pay up, move on.

Why incur extra expense by dragging it out?

Seems daft to me.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 23:51 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah insurance is bullshit, legal racketeering.

M1000RR was nicked and they've still not paid out yet, it's been months lol, the claim was validated but just waiting for the settlement to come through but they're just taking forever.

Oh and then of course the best bit, they're gonna extort me for what they paid out through impossible insurance premiums.

Bought another M1K anyway and gonna TPO it and not park it anywhere other than my garage. Fuck going fully comp again.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:18 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would THINK it's in their interest to settle quickly, but I dunno. Maybe it's a disconnect between the guy making the decision (who is probably on bonus and targets to challenge and drag everything out as long as possible and get the actual payout to a minimum) and the finance depart who end up footing the bill for the hire bike. Doesn't seem logical to me but seems common practise that whatever the circumstances are, drag it out as long as possible and dispute liability even when they're bang to rights.

Sorry to sway the conversation towards 4 wheels but twatface Uber driver decided to ram me off the road as I was passing him in my taxi on the nearside in an active bus lane in London, presumably because he incorrectly was under the assumption that I'm not allowed to use the lane and was trying to enforce the law himself, I actually get this quite a lot when I have to go to London from other PCO private hire drivers intentionally pinching into my lane and trying to block my progress by blocking the bus lane in front of me so I'm usually on the lookout for Mr. twatface Uber driver mistakenly trying to take the law into his own hands. Me being permitted to use the lane driving a hackney carriage vehicle (albeit licensed outside of London and not a black cab as such, but still permitted to use the bus lanes) and him not being allowed in the lane as he's driving a private hire vehicle. Dashcam footage clearly shows him intentionally swerving into my lane to try to cut me off. Unfortunately for him it went badly wrong, vehicles made contact and I was rammed onto the pavement (lucky there wasn't a pedestrian waiting to cross!). Then the twat has the audacity to get out and say (in broken English) "why you hit me?".

Might post the footage on YouTube for a laugh now the claim has been settled, not decided yet.

Anyway I digress somewhat. His insurance company was presented with the dascam footage and, same as you, admitted liability (without prejudice) within two days. Didn't hear back for a week or so, so got my claims management company to chase them up, next thing I know they're disputing liability (on what grounds I'm not sure they just said they hadn't had chance to get a full statement / version of events from their client yet) despite the fact the footage has him bang to rights coming into my lane without indicating and which he has no right to enter in the first place. Meanwhile a replacement taxi has been provided to me at, eventually, cost to the TP insurer, by my claims management company.

Another few weeks down the line still not heard anything so chased it up and my claims management company finally got back to me saying I should expect a BACS transfer direct from the TP insurance company (which cleared that day) for the repair estimate I had submitted so clearly they decided to settle in my favour in the end and cough up, although the communication was sketchy.

But why drag it out for over a month? That's time added to the vehicle hire which, because it has to be a licensed taxi, licensed with the specific local authority that I as a driver am licensed with, is a very specific and niche market of vehicle hire and very VERY expensive, these guys are total bandits and proper pull the underwriters pants down and costs around £200 per day to supply a licensed taxi replacement because it has to go for a special MOT and have a meter fitted and meet certain criteria etc. Mind you, from past experience I actually had a result here as it's taken months and months before now, I guess the dashcam footage helped (well it DEFINITELY did otherwise it'd have gone down as a 50/50 knock for knock I'm sure as I'd have had no way of proving he came into my lane).

But I mean why drag it out when you know it's only going to go one way? Seems to be just standard practice and to hell with the extra expenses.

I mean they always say that don't they if you're involved in an accident, even if you think/know you're at fault you're told not to apologise or admit liability at the scene so that the insurance can contest liability even when everyone knows it's your fault.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
But why drag it out for over a month? That's time added to the vehicle hire which, because it has to be a licensed taxi, licensed with the specific local authority that I as a driver am licensed with, is a very specific and niche market of vehicle hire and very VERY expensive, these guys are total bandits and proper pull the underwriters pants down and costs around £200 per day to supply a licensed taxi replacement because it has to go for a special MOT and have a meter fitted and meet certain criteria etc. Mind you, from past experience I actually had a result here as it's taken months and months before now, I guess the dashcam footage helped (well it DEFINITELY did otherwise it'd have gone down as a 50/50 knock for knock I'm sure as I'd have had no way of proving he came into my lane).

The reason they drag it out, is because of how much they are charging the other parties insurance for your hire car

A chap at work recently had an accident, not his fault, and his car was written off, but as it was an executive saloon (albeit a 10 year old Audi A8) they gave him a brand new Audi Q7 hire car, at a cost of £2000 per week

If you look at Enterprise rental, you could privatley rent 2 executive saloons/SUV's for that price per week

His claim rumbled on for 3 months, so culminated in £24,000 worth of hire car fees (charged to the TP insurance company), for a car they finally paid out £6,000 for

It certainly is a racket

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that pisses me off is that you can only use NCD on single vehicle. It's ME that earned that discount, not the car/bike, so it should apply to everything I insure. Other countries have figured this out, but it works out too well for insurance companies to have seperate NCD ..... cvnts.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
The thing that pisses me off is that you can only use NCD on single vehicle. It's ME that earned that discount, not the car/bike, so it should apply to everything I insure. Other countries have figured this out, but it works out too well for insurance companies to have seperate NCD ..... cvnts.

It works both ways though, if you have multiple vehicles with multiple NCD's, then when you lose it on one, you don't lose it on them all, as you would it it were shared across all vehicles

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:44 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
The reason they drag it out, is because of how much they are charging the other parties insurance for your hire car...

Thing is, I'm in direct contact with the third party insurer and there's absolutely no benefit to them in dragging it out.

But they still are.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

It works both ways though, if you have multiple vehicles with multiple NCD's, then when you lose it on one, you don't lose it on them all, as you would it it were shared across all vehicles

But you DO have to say that you've claimed in the last 5 years (or more) so that effectively nullifies it, even if it's on a different policy.

I'd rather just have one NCD as I've never had to claim on insurance so far...

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
The reason they drag it out, is because of how much they are charging the other parties insurance for your hire car...

Thing is, I'm in direct contact with the third party insurer and there's absolutely no benefit to them in dragging it out.

But they still are.

That is odd then, as generally they want to settle as quickly as possible, it's usually your own insurance company (or claim handler in most cases these days) that love to protract the situation

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a major motor insurance Co.

Come at me bro.

I got hit on Friday, my car was parked outside and my neighbour reversed in to it. Logged the claim through the online portal using the multiple choice questions to be met at the end with "based on the answers you have provided you will be found at fault for this accident". Thinking

I'm not sure where I'm going with this......

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polo wrote:
I work for a major motor insurance Co.

Come at me bro.

I got hit on Friday, my car was parked outside and my neighbour reversed in to it. Logged the claim through the online portal using the multiple choice questions to be met at the end with "based on the answers you have provided you will be found at fault for this accident". Thinking

I'm not sure where I'm going with this......

I had the same thing a few years ago. Parked my Mondeo on street as I had someone using my driveway, and during the night some (probably) drunk driver came flying around the corner, smashed into the car behind mine which shunted it into the back of mine. There was a witness who saw it happen, it was on CCTV of the building opposite, and I had a police officer's statement saying (IOW) it was bloody obvious what happened especially as the back of the car that hit mine was totally caved in.

BUT because of the fact that the (assumed) drunk driver was able to somehow drive off and no-one had a plate, my insurance company said they'd put ME at fault if I claimed. They wouldn't even put in on the owner of the car that was shunted into mine because he wasn't driving it (I wasn't driving it either ya sack of shite ...).

Didn't claim in the end as there was only light scratches to my bumper after I pulled it back into shape, wasn't worth losing NCD and declaring a claim for the next half a century...

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
the logical side of me says: Why delay? You've accepted liability, pay up, move on.

I have an outstanding claim since 2019, it's going to the Sheriff Court (Civil) now. The problem is that the other sides insurance company said their driver states the accident never happened and its' a fake claim despite their driver being literally CONVICTED for the road traffic accident the claim arises from at Sheriff Court (Criminal)

I have a separate claim outstanding since April this year where the other party admitted liability immediately and repaired the bike but haven't settled on injuries yet as they are still calculation their initial offer. I suspect they just want to keep it in the long grass and hope I disappear but I sent them the ultimatum that I will start court action if it's not settled before the end of this month.

TL;DR = insurance companies will do anything to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge claims.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Might post the footage on YouTube for a laugh now the claim has been settled, not decided yet.

Do it! Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
But you DO have to say that you've claimed in the last 5 years (or more) so that effectively nullifies it, even if it's on a different policy.

Well - I had quite a big (at-fault) bike claim a few years ago, but it hasn't touched my (maxed-out) NCD on my car policy although I notified them about the bike thing.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 11 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not helped by incompetent brokers.

It's an industry that needs an awful-arsefuking, like no one has been arsefuked before.

The rules of engagement to get insurance are protected by legislation then the kuntz shape-shift like muthafukhaz when one claims on the policy that they agreed on.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 14 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:

Do it! Laughing

As you asked nicely.

At time of posting this the video hasn't finished upgrading to high deff yet but the SD is ready to view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCu6zRSMjeg

Don't lambaste me too much for what I'm listening to on the radio (I'm a geek, I know!). For a bonus point, who can tell me what computer game it relates to?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 14 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like he wasn't paying attention. Clearly crossed the line for the bus lane though so where were you supposed to go? Breath in I guess!

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 14 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was/am being paranoid but I get this ALL the bloody time! TfL PCO private hire drivers trying to enforce what they THINK is the law by intentionally drifting into the bus lane to block my progress when they see me attempting to pass them on the nearside. The vast majority of them have a massive chip on their shoulder and it's very much an 'us and them' culture when it comes to private hire and hackney, especially in London. Exchanging details etc. he actually turned out to be a fairly nice chap from Nepal but the first thing he said to me was "why you hit me?" which I found both incredulous and hilarious seeing as he came into my lane and forced me up onto the pavement. He was also adamant that he was not in the wrong, I wasn't prepared to stand there and debate with him about that as we'd never have ended up seeing eye-to-eye on the matter so I just exchanged details and let the claim take its course.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
He was also adamant that he was not in the wrong, I wasn't prepared to stand there and debate with him about that as we'd never have ended up seeing eye-to-eye on the matter so I just exchanged details and let the claim take its course.

And that's exactly why we've got dashcams on all our cars. There's always three sides to the story and the video's usually the one that's correct.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Maybe I was/am being paranoid but I get this ALL the bloody time! TfL PCO private hire drivers trying to enforce what they THINK is the law by intentionally drifting into the bus lane to block my progress when they see me attempting to pass them on the nearside. The vast majority of them have a massive chip on their shoulder and it's very much an 'us and them' culture when it comes to private hire and hackney, especially in London. Exchanging details etc. he actually turned out to be a fairly nice chap from Nepal but the first thing he said to me was "why you hit me?" which I found both incredulous and hilarious seeing as he came into my lane and forced me up onto the pavement. He was also adamant that he was not in the wrong, I wasn't prepared to stand there and debate with him about that as we'd never have ended up seeing eye-to-eye on the matter so I just exchanged details and let the claim take its course.

The guy, whether right or wrong, was/is 100% within his rights and was following his insurer's advice to 'admit Hee-Haw to any turd party'.
That is a decision that insurers have jurisdiction over, since its the insurer that ultimately coughs for the cash to remedy hurt feelings and cetera.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil's advocate but do you know that road? If I knew the road I'd have hung back as the 2 lanes become 1 at the other side of the junction. Defensive riding/driving and all that.

Not insinuating nothing, just my tuppence. He clearly wanders into your lane so would expect 100% in your favour.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah even on a motorbike there's two things I'm especially wary of: c*nts on bicycles thinking they need a tank's width of road and anything with a TFL sticker in the back window. Best to treat the latter as radioactive and manoeuvre around them accordingly Smile

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 15 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
anything with a TFL sticker in the back window.

"Did I run you over mate? Read the sticker ... Tuff Fukkin Luck"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2