Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electronics-laden modern bikes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Electronics-laden modern bikes. Reply with quote

What sort of mileages are the electronics-laden modern bikes reaching before the gremlins appear? I expect they’re better built (proper waterproof connectors, for example) but having opened up a few old-skool handlebar switches I dread to think how complex the multi-function modern versions are. Do fancy modern bikes survive high miles and a salty UK winter or three? What’s yours done?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on 108k miles.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about bikes so much, I've got an Interceptor, but that's the most modern thing I've owned and it's not overburdened with electronics.

I do work in the car industry though, where electronics are far more insulated from the weather and I can tell you for certain, the newer and more complex they get, the less reliable they are.

Many of the electronic systems are related to performance (for that read emissions) and they tend to interact with each other to such an extent, if even the slightest glitch takes place, it can have catastrophic mechanical and/or financial consequences.

I don't think bikes are quite at that stage yet (although everything bike parts related seems to be mega expensive) but it probably won't be too far down the line.

Unless you are very conversant with modern systems and how to diagnose them, I wouldn't be buying anything that isn't under factory warranty, or you are happy to undergo open wallet surgery to get fixed.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
What bike?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=105394

So not modern, and not electronics-laden then Rolling Eyes

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My R1200GS was on around 50k I think when I sold it. Not a single electronic gremlin, although it really needed a good strong battery.

My Aprilia Shiver 750 is on 24,000 miles and the gremlins are creeping in. It's the only bike to have ever left me at the side of the road, and due to everything being controlled by the computer it is also the first bike I've ever had to put into a shop to even begin diagnosis.

That said, I've since bought the laptop cables and once you've had a bit of a play with the software it really isn't that bad. In some aspects it's easier than an pre-electronic-everything era bike because the laptop will usually (sometimes) tell you exactly which part is at fault.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
picture

Completely off topic but I just noticed your sig about how you came off at 139 mph... what were you wearing? Jesus christ that's insane mate was it on a track so there were no trees, posts and other random obstacles that will fuck you up like on roads?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Pete. wrote:
picture

Completely off topic but I just noticed your sig about how you came off at 139 mph... what were you wearing? Jesus christ that's insane mate was it on a track so there were no trees, posts and other random obstacles that will fuck you up like on roads?

Came off my turbo bike on the runway. A blocked return port in the front brake master cylinder meant that pressure built up with heat as I was going down the strip until eventually the front brake locked up solid and I was still shoving it down the runway with 350hp. Took 20 minutes to cool down enough so that the front wheel would turn again.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:12 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw 5 mins of a Wheeler Dealers episode with an Evo last night. The active yaw control was mounted under the rear wheel arch, so rotted quickly and costs £1,600 to replace. I was thinking about a similar thing on newer tech bikes, how much is an IMU and what would it cost to replace? Are there other bits like that which manufacturers are rubbing their hands together at the prospect of owners needing them in 5 years time?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:40 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends if it's a KTM or not. Triumps, BMWs and most Japanese stuff seems to be fine. KTM not so much, and Ducati depends on how you look after it.

Electronics have got better overall, with less actual wiring, all low voltage. Ducati have been using CANBus to transmit signals from one end of the bike to the other for a few years now, so you've only got a couple of wires to worry about rather than 20 or so. It's all swings and roundabouts.

Personally I was concerned when Fuel Injection was introduced, but it's been 20 odd years and I've never had a problem with fuel injection. However, I've had problems with ten year old Carbed bikes in that time... go figure.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at maritime college I rewired my mates C15 using 3 core nicked from a builders site next to the college. I couldn't see that working on my Trophy. Laughing

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
IMU

Wuzzat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inertial Measurement Unit.

IIRC it's what does the maths for angle / lean / acceleration / grip and decides what the traction control does.

Personally i've no intention of riding a bike in the kind of weather / road conditions that kills them. Modern or not.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:40 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Inertial Measurement Unit.

IIRC it's what does the maths for angle / lean / acceleration / grip and decides what the traction control does.

<pedant> The ECU's do the maths, the IMU does the measurement, it's in the name </pedant>

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to split hairs, an IMU is also an ECU in and of itself Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an aside. Is it a fact that without fuel injection and electronics, no bike (or car) would even be able to come close to passing emission controls?

If that is the case, I'm amazed that there are no laws stopping remapping. You can't legally remove a CAT or a DPF can you, the vehicle won't pass it's MOT (or have I got that wrong) yet you can totally play around with the fueling?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Just an aside. Is it a fact that without fuel injection and electronics, no bike (or car) would even be able to come close to passing emission controls?

If that is the case, I'm amazed that there are no laws stopping remapping. You can't legally remove a CAT or a DPF can you, the vehicle won't pass it's MOT (or have I got that wrong) yet you can totally play around with the fueling?

A cat or DPF is easy to check if it's been tampered with. Almost impossible to check a remap for the average garage without the right tooling and having base maps for everything to compare it to. It's a bit daft to ban anyway as having a custom map could actually reduce emissions over the one-size-fits-none base map that'll come as stock... It's not really any different to having a mechanic fail a test because you've changed jets on a carb. They'd never be able to check as they're not allowed to remove parts to inspect stuff like that.

Although having said that, these new proposed laws stopping modifications to motorcycles are going to prevent people having Power Commanders etc.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:35 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Yep, that's coming....

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only has to pass on that day. The market will adapt to make things better at plug and play.

Until roadside plod get more numbers then its unenforceable. Unless insurers start to require it.

So if you crash you might be double screwed.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's removing DPFs and there's removing DPFs. The one on my Transit was removed from the van in it's entirety
and then gutted but down the exhaust pipe with no external tampering, refitted and then it's function completely mapped out,
only leaving the warning light to illuminate and then extinguish upon start up.

Only advisories on last years MOT were corroded rear brake lines. Laughing

Sold my similarly modded Sprinter to a dealer and they never spotted it on that either despite their mechanic giving the
van a thorough once over before agreeing to purchase it from me. Both vans were LOADS better to drive after the work and
I saw my average daily use MPG go up on my transit from about 35 to almost 50.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Bike EFI effectively does a "carb-emulation" in open-loop mode. Closed loop is the only nod to saving asthmatic kittens.

Direct injection (cars) on the other hand have a lot more feedback systems and you wouldn't even get close with carbs.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 13 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW k1300 18k and S1000RR. 11k

Elektronikally sound.
Unless one counts R and L handle bar switch clusterfucks replaced three times on each bike in the 1st and 2nd years from new.

Mechanical issue in the switches.
Been gremlin free for about a decade now.

Bike lektrics issuez were normally harness or connektor related in the olden days.

My triumph caused me to not buy British ever again. When the ignition coils failed on two new bikes. Arseholes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1