Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KSR GRS 125, long time sitting - how to start it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ksr125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:29 - 06 Mar 2022    Post subject: KSR GRS 125, long time sitting - how to start it? Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought Krs Grs 125cc - bike being sitting outside (under bike cover but still outside)for 2yrs , its 2016 bike, so the engine should be fine (I HOPE), first of all I need a battery - and there's a problem because on its own old battery "SOLONG 12N7-4B" there's no info about cca/ah at all . I've found that yumasa got a 12N7-4B battery, which is 70 cca, i was trying hard to find a info on krs web and any others as well but there's very little info about that bike out there..

please advice me on which battery would fit me , halfords got a lot of yumasa's, but unfortunately they got no 12n7-4b. What about that batteryYB5L-B , it got cca 60 and 5.3 ah. would it be working? size are almost identical.

I would be very grateful for any advise , also for some tips whit starting a long sitting bike as well.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:04 - 06 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery fits in the space and has the terminals in the right place, it will be fine. Don't get too hung up on the CCA or Ah, seeing as the stock battery will have very little of either.

As for starting it up, it hasn't been sitting there long enough for any serious trouble, so I would just make sure it has some oil in the engine and try to start it on the button. If I was being ultra delicate I would put some oil down the bore and turn the engine over by hand, and drop out the old petrol and put in some fresh.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 06 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/12n7-4b/
135mm x 75mm x 133mm, 12 volts

Arrow https://www.tayna.co.uk/All-SX-1.html?ordering=&stype=cat&A-8=12&A-1=135&A-2=75&A-3=133&A-5=IMG-4

Arrow https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-batteries/yuasa-yb7-a-12v-yumicron-battery-243680.html
-is also a useful upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 06 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Robby said

Get the spark plug out and put a squirt of juice down the hole. Then turn the engine over either with the kickstart, the flywheel bolt or by gently rotating the back wheel in gear.

As the piston moves, keep putting another squirt down there to juice it all up a bit. I might even take the rocker cover off and put some juice on the rocker pivots too.

Let that soak for an hour or two. Then turn the engine over a bit more vigourously by hand and listen to how it sounds. If it doesn't sound like anything is dry and grinding - it should sound like it's slurping on sommit' in there - then it's probably OK to start. Though if it does sound too wet then give it a bit longer to soak through. (Don't try and start the engine with too much oil in the cylinder or it'll hydrolock - it just needs to be moist in there)

Fresh fuel, empty the old crap out.

Assuming it does start, then prepare to do an oil change ASAP. Might even be worth taking off the clutch cover and taking a look inside. Clean it up a bit - make sure there's no debris laying around in the sump. Check the oil strainer at least and filter if possible.

Disk brakes will probably be binding so expect to rebuild the caliper or at least have to clean the crap off the brake piston to free it up.

Chain is probably not very happy, might want a paraffin scrub, dekink and lube.

Cables will probably want some lube.

If it's a carb bike then that'll probably be gummed up, possibly the fuel pipes too so that all might need a clean.

Air filter may have rotted to dust which will get sucked through into the carb / engine if so... might be worth a look at that before getting carried away.

Check the tyres aren't flat? Even if they're still up you might still have a flat spot on the tyres so beware of that. They might heal themselves... or not. If the tyres have been sitting flat for a long time then you really need to be wary of them. Especially if they're tubeless. Expect to buy new tyres and don't go crazy speeds and cornering using old knackered ones.

That's about all the good news I've got for now.

ksr125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:58 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replays, I managed to get new battery today - good news is that bike starts, engine sounds ok, but when you push a throttle a bit it's going down shortly . The only way to give it a bit of more turnover is when you turn a throttle very gently but it's working only to some level (let say 1/3 of max power) and then it's down again.

Ive started it and let it run for 5mins, and then I realized that oil level is very low (looked like almost no oil at all) I've added around 0.5l of oil , not at once it was done partially after checking the level each time (bike was still warming up). Now it looks like a almost max level,, but I'm worried that i should put down old oil before putting new one., hope it will not hurt the engine, overall bike was running for about 30mins there was a bit leak from exhaust , but look like a water and rust, hopefully i had not done anything that could kill the engine... A better news is that all electrics seems to be ok lights, indicators, horn, stop lights , gear indicator etc .bike got only 8k miles so it may be worthy to put it back on road. It definitely need a good clean, as there's lot of rust (frame,brakes,screws) rear break looks loose, front wheel is half flat - but both may need to be replaced, anyway I need to give it to a professional bike service, as I got no experience whit motorbikes , sadly from what I've heard is very hard to find decent mechanic today, lots of my mates had a terrible experiences whit our local services ( I'm living in Merseyside btw)..

if you have any suggestions what can cause that choking of engine and how to fix that, I would be very grateful, it will help me a lot before i talk to mechanic.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your engine will be fine. I'm a bit puzzled what you mean about topping up slowly with old oil. Just drop out the old, fill up to the full level with new oil. Run, stop and recheck the level. Job jobbed.

Is that EFI or carbs? If carbs, maybe a strip and clean is in order. Also have you checked your air filter box? It might be choked with crap. The air filter might have diisintegrated or you might have got mice living in it. Laughing Yes, that really has happened.

Just checked and it's a carbed bike so that might need stripping down and cleaning. Also it's a manual choke so check that is free in operation and not manually stuck paartly on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1