Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Has anyone had confirmed E10 woes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:57 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Has anyone had confirmed E10 woes? Reply with quote

Was having the usual discussion with a friend about "how it leads to problems on older bikes as materials get corroded/worn/generally fecked" vs "E10s always existed, always put it into my non compatible bike, it still runs great and will forever".

Has anyone had any Confirmed "E10 ate my hamster" problems?

I've used it a couple times where E5 was unavailable, don't remember noticing a diff except it was cheaper Laughing I use it because Kawasaki advises to, but would rather pay less

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the needle valves on a 1996 KLE500 fur up to the point they stuck open, flooded the airbox and set the bike on fire while I was riding it (thankfully self-extinguished).

I'm blaming E5 in fairness, it was the classic damage that kind of thing causes and the carbs had been cleaned out about 3 months previously when there was no sign of any corrosion in that area. Replaced the valves with ethanol compliant ones.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:04 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Had the needle valves on a 1996 KLE500 fur up to the point they stuck open, flooded the airbox and set the bike on fire while I was riding it (thankfully self-extinguished).

I'm blaming E5 in fairness, it was the classic damage that kind of thing causes and the carbs had been cleaned out about 3 months previously when there was no sign of any corrosion in that area. Replaced the valves with ethanol compliant ones.

I just got an epic image from that, thanks Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been running E10 in my ‘99 ZX6R, which was fine until there was a slight chill in the air, then it had some starting problems. In fairness it’s overdue for a valve clearances check so it could be that. I’ve taken it off the road with the intention of doing the job, but I did wonder what the starting qualities of E10 are like. There’s some speculation on the internet that it might affect cold-starting, but little hard evidence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:14 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada had had E10 for years, It seems to gum up carbs with corrosion a lot faster when they are left sitting with the E10 fuel in them for a few months. The worst is always the small engines such as my pressure washer with a small carb with tiny orfices.

I either make sure l add a fuel stabilizer additive and/or fill up with premium fuel that has no ethanol.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a couple of tankfuls, it seems to give about 10% lower mpg but as always it's hard to be directly compare.
That's not going to reduce emissions much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

E10? E5 is bad enough because where i live it`s all E5 now.

As posted before i had to chuck all my "suitable for unleaded fuel" pipes because they go slimy inside with E5.

I have also noticed that when leaving E5 fuel overnight in a container (pot noodle cup) it has water in the bottom through absorbing moisture.

Also carbs will not varnish up as years ago they will go rusty.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 22 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the FI light come on randomly when turning on the ignition from cold that coincided with first tank of E10. It's only happened a couple of times but timing of it was a bit weird. Not actually been arsed to lift the seat and put it into dealer mode as ignition off/on has sorted it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mostly work from home now I've only just done my first full tank of E10 and noticed absolutely nothing. Modern EFI bike though.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems using it here, but I feel that any issues are likely to be medium-long term so people are unlikely to be reporting them yet.

There is concern in some quarters over the likelihood that E10 will absorb significant amounts of water if left for longish periods, which is clearly a Bad Thing in fuel tanks etc. I've just taken the precaution of filling up with premium petrol this month, as my miles ridden per month falls off a cliff during the winter months.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm grateful for the fact that I'm in one of the E10 exempt areas of the UK.

If we ever got it here, I'm not sure any of the petrol stations would have the capacity to run an E5 pump or two and that would be a headache for a lot of people running small engines let alone the vintage crowd.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No confirmation of anything in that regard for me yet.

But using on all my bikes (signature), and my 1980 Buick LeSabre, and my '91 Peugeot 205 1.1l (carb).

No problems regarding running at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

If we ever got it here, I'm not sure any of the petrol stations would have the capacity to run an E5 pump or two and that would be a headache for a lot of people running small engines let alone the vintage crowd.

I'm struggling to see how E5 still being made for relatively small areas (and why)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Islander wrote:

I'm struggling to see how E5 still being made for relatively small areas (and why)

We hold a decent reserve of fuel (IIRC about 4 months worth) in bulk tanks from which the wholesaler supplies the fuel distributor. It also comes in by sea and both of those things mean E10 isn't likely to arrive here.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
I have also noticed that when leaving E5 fuel overnight in a container (pot noodle cup) it has water in the bottom through absorbing moisture.

By what mechanism does this happen? What you appear to be saying is that the E5 fuel has absorbed water (presumably from humidity in the atmosphere) and then desorbed (dumped) it back as free water.

Just eyeballing the chemistry, the Pot Noodle cup has a relatively small surface area and even at 100% humidity there's not a lot of water available at a typical room temperature. The fuel is only up to 5% ethanol and the other 95% is a hydrophobic hydrocarbon. Also, once water is bound to ethanol it is quite reluctant to let go.

I don't know the timescale of your experiment but if it happened over a few hours or days then we'd be best served leaving Pot Noodle cups of fuel about the place as dehumidifiers to control any damp issues.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think that keeping the tank full would minimis the amount of air in contact - advisable anyway to avoid condensation.
Obviously the tank isn't 100% airtight but not much exchanging going on.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

By what mechanism does this happen? What you appear to be saying is that the E5 fuel has absorbed water (presumably from humidity in the atmosphere) and then desorbed (dumped) it back as free water.

It's not dumping it back as free water. The water binds to the ethanol and sinks to the bottom, leaving the petrol on top.

You can use this method to extract the ethanol out of fuel, literally mix water in with petrol, leave it overnight, and you'll have a bottom layer of water/ethanold mix you can drain off. People are already doing this for lawnmowers etc which would get fecked by E10.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
It's not dumping it back as free water. The water binds to the ethanol and sinks to the bottom, leaving the petrol on top.

You can use this method to extract the ethanol out of fuel, literally mix water in with petrol, leave it overnight, and you'll have a bottom layer of water/ethanold mix you can drain off. People are already doing this for lawnmowers etc which would get fecked by E10.

This, there are some interesting vids out there where people are doing this, and others where they've left stuff in E10, E5 and full fat fuel for months to what (if anything) happens.

TL:dr I think there's going to be a lot of unaware people with fucked lawnmowers next spring.

For those that are aware, there are some premium unleaded fuels that contain little to no ethanol.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:17 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:
[

TL:dr I think there's going to be a lot of unaware people with fucked lawnmowers next spring.

Meh, mine's electric.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:44 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

You can use this method to extract the ethanol out of fuel, literally mix water in with petrol, leave it overnight, and you'll have a bottom layer of water/ethanole mix you can drain off. People are already doing this for lawnmowers etc which would get fecked by E10.

But don't do it for your bike because if it's 10% ethanol (which is 116 octane) and started as 95 octane, once the ethanol is removed, the remaining fuel will be 93 octane. Probably wouldn't bother a lawnmower but holes in motorcycle pistons often offend.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

You can use this method to extract the ethanol out of fuel, literally mix water in with petrol, leave it overnight, and you'll have a bottom layer of water/ethanole mix you can drain off. People are already doing this for lawnmowers etc which would get fecked by E10.

But don't do it for your bike because if it's 10% ethanol (which is 116 octane) and started as 95 octane, once the ethanol is removed, the remaining fuel will be 93 octane. Probably wouldn't bother a lawnmower but holes in motorcycle pistons often offend.

Could probably "tune out" that problem with an EFI bike. Looking at it the other way I'd like to see a YouTuber dyno a bike on E5 & E10 Thinking

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
The water binds to the ethanol and sinks to the bottom, leaving the petrol on top.

I could be wrong but I think that happens more in the absence of ethanol. Petrol and water don’t mix but add ethanol and it allows water to disperse throughout the tank (-reduced metal surface contact compared to settling). When the water load saturates the ethanol the water will then fall to the bottom but until that point the ethanol is actually helping the tank corrosion situation. I’m more worried by ethanol’s ability to soften and break unsuitable hoses, and its uncertain influence on cold-starting.

I believe weasley works in the petro-chemicals industry so may be able to advise with some expertise.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

You could add an octane booster...

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

You could add an octane booster...

..... which typically contain ethanol Laughing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly after switching to E10 my 2019 CRF250L had a little trouble starting after a two week layup. Not too bad but it cut out when I throttled up leaving my street, then kangarooed a bit after restart. Quickly cleared. No issues since but it's been in more regular use since then.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2