Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Screen extenders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Screen extenders Reply with quote

Got a tour planned for next year that's going to involve a lot motorway riding to get to the area of interest (time is not on my side sadly so I can turn a 1 week tour into a 2 week one and use the backroads).

The Crossrunner is pretty good on the motorway, but even with the screen fully up, I still get a bit of buffeting on the top of the helmet. I don't need to dip my head down by much (an inch or two) and it goes away, but I think my back will be killing if I hunch down for hours on end (even with regular breaks).

I've seen "screen extensions" on many bikes, usually adventure bikes. Do these work? All I need to do is deflect the airflow up a tiny bit more and I reckon all will be good.

Cheers. Thumbs Up

This sort of thing (generic image):

https://www.motorcyclescreens.eu/img/cms/grafika%20deflektor.png

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Screen extenders Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
.. fully up, I still get a bit of buffeting on the top of the helmet.

..nasty. Shifty

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may or may not work.
Generally the original ones have been well designed for average rider. Some wind hitting your upper body helps take weight off wrists and shoulders.
That design which lets some air through might help with this but about 50-50 you will end up taking it off again I suspect.
Anything added there might behave in unexpected or slightly alarming ways with crosswinds or sudden buffeting from passing lorries etc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without access to a wind tunnel, the only real way to find out is to try it.

Even if someone recommended a particular extender for your exact bike, it might not work for you due to differences in rider height etc. But they're relatively cheap and a lot less hassle to try than a different screen, and they really work for some people/circumstances, so give it a go. Even if it works, you may need to play around with the angle of the extender to get an airflow that works for you.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Re: Screen extenders Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
.. fully up, I still get a bit of buffeting on the top of the helmet.

..nasty. Shifty

I tried desperately with the wording not to incur this sort of thing, failed miserably. Laughing

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It may or may not work.
Generally the original ones have been well designed for average rider. Some wind hitting your upper body helps take weight off wrists and shoulders.
That design which lets some air through might help with this but about 50-50 you will end up taking it off again I suspect.
Anything added there might behave in unexpected or slightly alarming ways with crosswinds or sudden buffeting from passing lorries etc

The bike has a very upright seating position so there's no need for any wind pressure to neutralise this (and it only flicks the end of my helmet anyway).

Zen Dog wrote:
Without access to a wind tunnel, the only real way to find out is to try it.

Even if someone recommended a particular extender for your exact bike, it might not work for you due to differences in rider height etc. But they're relatively cheap and a lot less hassle to try than a different screen, and they really work for some people/circumstances, so give it a go. Even if it works, you may need to play around with the angle of the extender to get an airflow that works for you.

Yep true enough - I might see if I can find a reasonably priced one and give it a go. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I tried desperately with the wording not to incur this sort of thing, failed miserably.

Oh really?

ThunderGuts wrote:
...and it only flicks the end of my helmet anyway

Laughing

Maybe consider a different shaped helmet? This is the one I have:

https://assets.jsaccessories.co.uk/products/27014/vcan-v128-rage-helmet-size-l-109429-09.jpg

The bit sticking out at the back affects airflow I guess Smile

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode from Bristol to Edinburgh and back on a CX500
the bike behaved perfick but the bar mounted screen I hastily added prior to the trip kept wind off my chest but directed it to my helmet/face.
The noise and buffeting was bloody awful at times and had me riding bent over or more slowly to lessen the effect.
The prolonged noise and discomfort has very wearying effect too, so not to be discounted.

Mistake 1
dont test screens etc around town test at motorway speeds

I made further tests on this and my beemer tourers over time and found if the top of the screen or screen plus deflector was at same height as the tip of my nose I could get a pretty reasonable ride.

Using this rule of thumb, I recall I would often cruise visor up at a ton on the beemer once I had it set up right.

I fitted a deflector to my lovely lovely scooter as a matter of course and apart from being able to wear nice clothes and not stink of piss
it makes the whole experience more pleasant

https://imgur.com/y7R2mhg.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1