Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is this project bike too good to be true?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:40 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Is this project bike too good to be true? Reply with quote

https://www.gumtree.com/p/kawasaki-motorbikes/kawasaki-zx6r-636/1420367121

Im not too fussed about posting the link as frankly.... While interesting and a little tempting Im not going to get it as frankly... I want a newer bike as my next one....

BUT!

A zx6r for 900 quid.... thats pretty damn intriguing.

Sure its currently not starting... The post suggests its because its not been started since 2017 implying dead battery and maybe old oil or something.....

Dont get me wrong. It feels too good to be true but even if its a simple project bike 900 quid seems way too cheap for it.

So whats others thoughts on it?

Or could it be that the bikes location is near London and it can no longer be legally ridden there?

Or worse..... its the partner of the owner... and the owner for one reason or another :/ doesnt need it any more and they dont know what theyre selling?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH if you think it's not starting because of old oil then let someone else buy it.

Personally, I'd say it's got all the hallmarks of a wrong-un. By the time you've spent 900 quid then god knows how many more hundreds it'll be no better and cost as much as a clean one and it'll still have a chequered past.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:48 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
TBH if you think it's not starting because of old oil then let someone else buy it.

Personally, I'd say it's got all the hallmarks of a wrong-un. By the time you've spent 900 quid then god knows how many more hundreds it'll be no better and cost as much as a clean one and it'll still have a chequered past.

I dont think its not starting because of oil.... it was just a random flippant word... (though i have seen oil jellyfy in an engine thanks to mixing something wrong into the tank...)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:00 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with the brake fluid reservoir?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3BEAAOSwXBJhn9SK/s-l800.webp

It's fucked, the only question is how much. Laughing

Are you local to it?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:07 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What's with the brake fluid reservoir?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3BEAAOSwXBJhn9SK/s-l800.webp

It's fucked, the only question is how much. Laughing

Are you local to it?

Yeah i noticed that too.... Looks snapped off.

Its not terribly far away... about 90 miles.... But still. Im not buying it. Just more curious about it and why its so cheap.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIg-ish miles, bottom o fthe depreciation curve, non-runner, nagging wife/girlfriend with small rear yard/garden wants it out.

It's cheapish but not a giveaway,

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:19 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In't old days, back in about 2010, you could get a shed load of '90s 600s for that sort of money. Running, with an MOT and stuff. Shabby? Yes. Good bikes? Maybe, depends what you want.

So for a non runner that's... not too bad but it could equally be a money pit and a runner is probably not worth more than £1500 these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted it, I'd go in with a lowball offer.
That's very much a project bike - it's a nonrunner and you're being asked to take a lot on blind trust. Does it really have a new engine? And how new was that engine? Any records or details about that engine? I guess, no. This is why he can't get rid of it. Nobody will touch such a high mileage bike, even if it's good. £900 is much more than I would pay.

As for the near London thing, the ULEZ expansion didn't seem to have any effect on the market. Everything must have been snapped up by people around the country. Quite surprising, really. The next ones to look out for will be in places like Oxford.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

I dont think its not starting because of oil.... it was just a random flippant word...

Then you should consider that other people might read your post and think it's a possibility, then they will parrot it on in their ignorance and possibly propagate something that just isn't true. Does no-one any favours.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:56 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Then you should consider that other people might read your post and think it's a possibility, then they will parrot it on in their ignorance and possibly propagate something that just isn't true. Does no-one any favours.

https://www.shankman.com/wp-content/uploads/lumberg-380x285.jpg

Yeah. I'm going to have to go ahead there and... Agree with you on that one Peter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:18 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Pete. wrote:

https://www.shankman.com/wp-content/uploads/lumberg-380x285.jpg

Yeah. I'm going to have to go ahead there and... Agree with you on that one Peter.

TBH when i said it i had in the back of my mind remember seeing an engine with it utterly blocked full of jellyfide oil. It had to be completely stripped down and cleaned. I think thats why i mentioned it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:25 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

TBH when i said it i had in the back of my mind remember seeing an engine with it utterly blocked full of jellyfide oil. It had to be completely stripped down and cleaned. I think thats why i mentioned it.

Well, it's not common, and if a bike suffered that I'd be walking away no matter how much I wanted it. I reckon it's more common for a bike to drop a valve or throw a rod than for that to be the case.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 27 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is this project bike too good to be true?"

That depends.

What would you anticipate having to do to it, how much of that can you do yourself, and how much would you be expecting to have to spend?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:11 - 28 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with any project bike you assume and plan for it being a lot worse than it actually is. And balance the finances in your head accordingly to see if it is worth it.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:49 - 30 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same model as a runner seems to go for about 1-2k.

Once you through with maybe new tyres, carb kit, service kit, fork oil, bearings, spare parts you are going to be around the same mark as just buying a runner with a MOT.

So £900 is not really a 'deal'.

I'd probably still think about having a look at it, make sure the engine turns, ask why it's on its second engine. What does the inside of the tank look like. Try to knock down the price based on any of these. £6-700 I would probably think about it, if you enjoy spannering. Sadly these things always take a lot longer to sort unless you just want something to mess with.

Any red flags just walk though.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:50 - 30 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view bikes like this need to be viewed as a collection of parts rather than as a complete machine.

So the question is: How many useable, saleable parts does it have and how much would they be worth if you could be arsed to sell them?

In some cases, the answer to that question might effectively be "Zero" and that would be exactly what the bike's worth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1