Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fast or slow on a long motorway haul?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Fast or slow on a long motorway haul? Reply with quote

Got some biggish motorway miles coming up (300 miles or so) in a day. I've done bits and pieces, but I generally avoid the motorways when on two wheels. For this though, I've no choice. The bike is faired and offers pretty good protection; the question is what is less fatiguing - go as fast as possible, reducing journey time but noisier (wind), probably a bit more concentration needed as bike might be a bit more fidgety. Or go slower, say 65, it'll take a bit longer but it'll be less noisy and probably a bit more relaxed.

I'm after some experience here really, rather than hypothetical. I plan to stop 3 times on the journey (2 "proper breaks" and a fuel stop in the middle).

Cheers. Thumbs Up

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't wear earplugs, start. Not only for a fatique point of view, but wind noise is damaging to hearing at anything more than 30-40mph. I always rock a pair of earbuds with the silicone tips - reduces noise and also means I can have some tunes playing without needing it to be cranked up to full to hear it.

Other than that, ride at whatever the conditions allow at the time...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep long time user of earplugs, even at urban speeds. Thumbs Up I am on the lookout for some with built in speakers, i.e.. earphones with good sound protection, as my helmet speakers have to be on quite loud to be heard clearly through the earplugs! Laughing

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:37 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done a lot of motorway slogging so no experience but a question…

Won’t 65 put you in the inside lane with the trucks and caravans and every middle lane hog on your right shoulder?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:43 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Not done a lot of motorway slogging so no experience but a question…

Won’t 65 put you in the inside lane with the trucks and caravans and every middle lane hog on your right shoulder?

Depends

You can do 90 in the fast lane but quite often you have to slow down bacause someone is dawdling at 70.

With the advent of average speed cameras and smart motorways often everything will be doing 50 ish

jonquirk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the traffic 65mph might see you in lane 3 overtaking everything. I had to drive a van with a 62mph limiter from Guildford to Bradford and back three times. I was surprised at how much time I spent in lane 3.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonquirk wrote:
Depending on the traffic 65mph might see you in lane 3 overtaking everything. I had to drive a van with a 62mph limiter from Guildford to Bradford and back three times. I was surprised at how much time I spent in lane 3.

Hopefully not like a lot of van drivers thinking "the road's quiet today, nothing on the road in front of me" while there's a 3 mile queue behind trying to at least go the speed limit Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 miles @ 60mph = 5 hours
300 miles @ 65mph = 4.6 hours
300 miles @ 70mph = 4.3 hours
300 miles @ 75mph = 4 hours

etc.

From my experience the first 2 ~ 3 hours will be okay and after that you might end up wanting to stop every hour or so, depends how good your seat is and maybe even your gloves. In other words factor in your stops towards the end of the journey.

But as to how fast you want to go that's largely dictated by the bike and road conditions. My Rebel seemed happy at ~55mph whereas the XSR is more than happy to do 65~70, >650 and a lovely bit of tarmac and you'll be chewing up the miles.

Earplugs essential, worth re-iterating.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I don't ride anywhere without earplugs, irrespective of distance.

The bike (Crossrunner) is well suited to motorway work (albeit it doesn't have cruise control). I suspect the first leg may be quicker as the roads will be empty-ish (very early start) but it'll get busier from then on in so as mentioned, my speed will probably be forced to drop anyway.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonquirk wrote:

Fuck that, my Transit Connect is very comfortable at 90mph.
#limiterandDPFremoved

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to settle at around 80mph on long motorway trips, which I find the best compromise for me between time, comfort and fuel consumption. I'll vary a bit within that, but 80 is where I tend to spend most of the journey where restrictions don't apply.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
If you don't wear earplugs, start. Not only for a fatique point of view, but wind noise is damaging to hearing at anything more than 30-40mph. I always rock a pair of earbuds with the silicone tips - reduces noise and also means I can have some tunes playing without needing it to be cranked up to full to hear it.

Other than that, ride at whatever the conditions allow at the time...

This. I never wore earplugs at all for months and then got a pair of earplugs for free from the Honda dealership through in Edinburgh. Makes an incredible difference. Can't recommend wearing them to other riders enough now.

When I am commuting I go much faster than when I am on a long cruise. On my ER6-F the wind blast sucks at anything above 80mph but at 70mph it's actually pretty comfortable. When I am using my little 125cc on the motorway, I do whatever MPH the HGV I am slip-streaming behind is doing Laughing

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:25 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The least knackering is to go at - or just above- the speed of the flow of the traffic. That way most of what is happening , happens just in front of you. If you go really fast, then you need to observe and anticipate what is happening in the far distance, or face unpleasant surprises. If you go slower that the flow of traffic you will be constantly on your mirrors seeing if it's safe to pull out or whatever- tiring. So rather than a set speed, - go with the flow, as it were.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done lots of motorway jaunts mostly on Cxs and K100s
Bristol to Scotland, Cornwall, Ireland, up norf, East Angular, Ace cafe etc and
basically, ride your own ride.
Unproven rumours say I've cruised at a ton plus at times when conditions allowed
but I maintain I never, ever, exceeded 69.999 mph
Evah!
Nobody saw me do it you cant prove nuthin

In my experience you don't clock watch
You shouldn't ride to a speed, you should ride according to conditions.
your own, the weather, the bikes and road/traffic.
It takes as long as it takes.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a few miles on a variety of bikes on motorways in my biking life.

I’ve always found that going really fast makes any long trip hard work.
Maybe that’s just me?
Personally I find just taking it easy at a speed that feels comfortable is the way to go.
I find that the journey will pass quicker than you think.

+1 for the use of ear-plugs.

I use my heated private jet for long journeys Laughing Laughing Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorway riding is one of the occasions when I like to be in a small group or even just one other. As for speed I'm with Forte whatever's comfortable and won't get you nicked. Only stop for fuel - 3 stops is every 75 miles!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:46 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go at night when all the fuckwits are off the road.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Yep long time user of earplugs, even at urban speeds. Thumbs Up I am on the lookout for some with built in speakers, i.e.. earphones with good sound protection, as my helmet speakers have to be on quite loud to be heard clearly through the earplugs! Laughing

IsoTunes Bluetooth earbuds fit the standard cheap eBay silicone plugs. You chop the very top off to create a hole for the sound. Works a treat for satnav.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

IsoTunes Bluetooth earbuds fit the standard cheap eBay silicone plugs. You chop the very top off to create a hole for the sound. Works a treat for satnav.

Sound quite good (no pun!), but I really want 3.5mm wired so I can connect them to my bluetooth intercom rather than wireless.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Sound quite good (no pun!), but I really want 3.5mm wired so I can connect them to my bluetooth intercom rather than wireless.

Earbuds with the black "3 tier tip" ends in the middle are what you need....

https://cdn.thewirecutter.com/wp-content/media/2020/10/thirdparty-earbud-2048px-3094.jpg?auto=webp&quality=60&crop=1.91:1&width=1200

If you want really decent sound quality, I can recommend these....

https://www.etymotic.com/product/er3se-earphones/

They do have cheaper and higher end counterparts too but these I've actually owned these so can't speak for the others.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go as fast as I can get away with on long slogs. Even on my almost naked (fly screen) bike I'd rather racing tuck and blast along than pootle along at 60.

I'll happily sit at 3 figures for miles on end if conditions allow. My Aprilia settles really nicely at 108 for some reason, that's its happy speed.

We're talking km/h, right? Shifty Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handful of trips a year in iffy weather?

Hire a nice car.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Hire a nice car.

Yeah, last trip to Cornwall it pissed down so hard I thought I overtook Noah at one point! Thoroughly miserable Sad The leg back made up for it though. I might go down again this month but I'll take the car this time Smile

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Hire a nice car.

Shitty weather = hire a nice (warm) car.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 06 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow for me. fast riding is for when im just out for fun.
on a long journey id find it far too tiring mentally, as you really have to concentrate in heavy, fast traffic.
id just go with the flow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3