Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Superbikefactory

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:19 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Superbikefactory Reply with quote

https://cdn7.bigcommerce.com/s-zlq7avmioy/product_images/uploaded_images/superbike-factory-3025.png

What's your opinion of these guys now they basically are a huge player in the second hand motorcycle market?

I'm in the process of buying one from them. Their prices can be a bit hit or miss. Quite often they are priced competitively though.
Seems like it's a case of go in eyes wide open and you can get yourself a decent bike.

Although I am waiting on 'general wear and tear items' to be fitted to my bike before they can deliver it. What is odd though is they wont tell me what they are.
And if any work does need doing before they hand the bike over to you they will not give you details or paperwork of what work has been carried out.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of horror stories on the network.. know one
That ended up with a us import and clocks that reset with a total loss of power

Buyer beware...

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate bought a bike, set on fire. They don't appear to do much after a trade in, clean it and stack them up.

To be fair they did sort the issue out, bike was wrote off and they did him a deal on another bike. He was happy with the result.

They're not a bike retailer though, more a finance house.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:05 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Plenty of horror stories on the network.. know one
That ended up with a us import and clocks that reset with a total loss of power

Buyer beware...

Aye plenty of horror stories.
They also have 2k reviews on trustpilot with 75% being 5 star.
Compared to my local honda dealer who has like 30 reviews.
I think when your shifting so many bikes your gonna have a few bad ones

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they're basically like a supermarket for bikes ...

... except Tesco doesn't charge you a £99 admin fee every time you make a purchase.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is purely anecdotal, but i heard that a large proportion of their bikes are sourced from the likes of webuyanyoldshit.com and then literally wheeled straight onto the forecourt with little more than a wipe over with a damp rag

Too many horror stories for my liking, but as always with these tings, its the bad news/reviews that make waves, not the folk who were happy with their purchases

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:10 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard both good and bad, and I think the good does outweigh the bad, but as others have said you need to go in with your eyes open.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:14 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

their bikes are sourced from the webuyanybike sites, they own 90% of them, if a site looks similar to another webuyanybike site, its likely them

i sold my bike to one of those sites fairly recently, it ended up on their site the next day, and sold the day after that

they are the biggest player and their will be horror stories, but the wife bought her bike from there and its been fine, their all on display so you can go and look before you buy

their prices are all over the place, definite bargains to be had, and others over priced

you wont find anywhere else with as much stock to go and view in person

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

Exactly this. There's always going to be people who have a bad experience with any large business, and obviously its those people who always shout the loudest. And SBF are big - their daily sales are well into three figures, the vast majority online (I have an acquaintance who works for them). Personal experience: I bought one from them a few years back; was allowed a test ride; the purchase process went fine, the price was good, and the bike was flawless. (Clearly, the point where issues start is when all isn't as it seems with the bike, so I can't vouch for them under that scenario.

Point of interest: they make no allowance in the purchase price (or at least they certainly didn't) for what model level they are selling; so that's definitely worth considering when you're looking at the price - high specced models are likely to be better value than base models. My own bike was top-end, and I thought surprisingly keenly priced.

Then you have to remember that the actual purchase price is £100 more than the ticket price - totally stupid and irritating, but whatever. They won't negotiate on price, so I suppose at least you know where you stand before you decide you want to buy.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate post, sorry

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 12:53 - 08 Dec 2021; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Car Giant for bikes..

bought a Mini there once a good 15% lower than comparable. It was literally wiped over with a damp cloth though but because it was ex-lease mebbe 3 yr old it had a least had some oil changes..
.. the paint work has some scratches (which I mostly polished out) and some sun cream bloom (which I never completely got rid of).
Test drive was about 1/2 mile but I did at least get one.

The buying process was tortuous, having to sit through a lecture about all the extras (GAP insurance , paint treatmenst etc..) that they sell to make money - my mantra throughout was 'no I just want the car'. They then give you a collection appointment to pick up the car and there;'s dozens maybe 100s of folk there with you. The place is a selling machine. Interesting experience.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
adam277 wrote:

Exactly this. There's always going to be people who have a bad experience with any large business, and obviously its those people who always shout the loudest. And SBF are big - their daily sales are well into three figures, the vast majority online (I have an acquaintance who works for them). Personal experience: I bought one from them a few years back; was allowed a test ride; the purchase process went fine, the price was good, and the bike was flawless. (Clearly, the point where issues start is when all isn't as it seems with the bike, so I can't vouch for them under that scenario.

Point of interest: they make no allowance in the purchase price (or at least they certainly didn't) for what model level they are selling; so that's definitely worth considering when you're looking at the price - high specced models are likely to be better value than base models. My own bike was top-end, and I thought surprisingly keenly priced.

Then you have to remember that the actual purchase price is £100 more than the ticket price - totally stupid and irritating, but whatever. They won't negotiate on price, so I suppose at least you know where you stand before you decide you want to buy.

Yeah, I noticed that things like aftermarket accessories are not factored into their pricing. A Givi rack does still cost money and time to fit!

That being said their trade-in offers are derisory. I got almost a bag more going to my local Honda dealer.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:03 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I have been there the bikes looked a bit unloved and not prepped for sale. It seems they don't care whether they sell you a bike or not.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
Whenever I have been there the bikes looked a bit unloved and not prepped for sale. It seems they don't care whether they sell you a bike or not.

They'll tell you that when you buy a bike from them, it goes into the workshop for a once-over and safety check before it goes out - ie after you've agreed the sale

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
They'll tell you that when you buy a bike from them, it goes into the workshop for a once-over and safety check before it goes out - ie after you've agreed the sale

I'd imagine the reasoning for that is the price will drop the longer the bike is in stock and at a certain cut-off point it'll get punted back out at a trade auction.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:49 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

Have a look at the 9% who gave 'em one star.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/superbikefactory.co.uk?stars=1

If you can go there in person and manage to find a bike that doesn't need any parts or work doing then I suppose they might not be the worst place in the world to buy from.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:25 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
adam277 wrote:

Have a look at the 9% who gave 'em one star.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/superbikefactory.co.uk?stars=1

If you can go there in person and manage to find a bike that doesn't need any parts or work doing then I suppose they might not be the worst place in the world to buy from.

Yea, I've looked at them.
Few got a bad bikes alot seemed to give a 1 star without even getting a bike though lol.

Quote:
Visited today as I'm in the market to buy immediately, needed to seat height check a couple of the options I'm looking into buying as I'd obviously not buy if I can't reach the floor (5'7"). Asked politely and was fobbed off that were were not enough staff and that doing so for me would have meant others asking the same (bit obvious if people want to buy a bike then they do more than just look and cough up for one, saw plenty of staff in the place and it hadn't long opened so was hardly rammed with customers.

Complete waste of a journey and wont be getting my business, its not hard guys, its called customer service

This one seems a very harsh 1 star

Quote:
Enquired about a bike, sent all relevant information on my own for px and heard nothing.
Someone else remarked that if this is how poor their sales are just imagine the level of service.
I've owned over 50 bikes and, hand on heart, this lot have presented me with the worst service so far. I even chased them for a response and still heard nothing.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:47 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first bike off of Johnny Walker, Chris 'stalker' Walkers dad, simply because that was the bike shop I passed everyday as a kid & on the odd occasion that I couldn't prize my gaze away from that Katana in the window & make my way home, he would show me a small amount of kindness by allowing me inside & talking with me like an adult . . .

Ever since then. I have NEVER bought a bike off of a bike shop, off a dealership or out of any form of glossy brochure advert or even a page on t'internets. . . .

I only buy my bikes off people.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:57 - 08 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
I bought my first bike off of Johnny Walker, Chris 'stalker' Walkers dad, simply because that was the bike shop I passed everyday as a kid & on the odd occasion that I couldn't prize my gaze away from that Katana in the window & make my way home, he would show me a small amount of kindness by allowing me inside & talking with me like an adult . . .

Ever since then. I have NEVER bought a bike off of a bike shop, off a dealership or out of any form of glossy brochure advert or even a page on t'internets. . . .

You're just being shitty because they have more bikes than you.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:56 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not SBF but I recently bought my bike "Mail Order" from another big used bike dealer.

I'm in London, they're based up North and I bought the bike unseen. But I did my due diligence: There were lots of very clear photos, showing all the usual rust traps and commonly damaged areas, so I was able to judge the condition accurately.

The bike had FSH, I checked the MOT history online and paid for my own HPI check. It all came back clean, so I went ahead.

The bike came to me "Serviced" (or at least an oil and filter change) and with a fresh MOT.

I've had it month and I'm perfectly happy. It was even cheaper than most private sellers seem to want around here.

So these places aren't always out to "Do" you but as above, go in with your eyes open.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had two bikes from them without issue, new batteries put on both bikes and both came with a 12 month MOT. I'd use them again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
JackButler wrote:

You're just being shitty because they have more bikes than you.

Not sure what the moral of the story is supposed to be, bearing in mind Jack was treated well. Only buy off plebs because they’re easier to con than hard-nosed businessmen?

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet if you check on the company they are a credit broker rather than a bike dealer. Nowt wrong with that but the onus is on you to sniff out a good deal. It works both ways, they no naff all about bikes, some punters know naff all and pay over the odds on credit, some punters pay cash and can get a bargain if they know what to look for.

OGR

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Bet if you check on the company they are a credit broker rather than a bike dealer. Nowt wrong with that but the onus is on you to sniff out a good deal. It works both ways, they no naff all about bikes, some punters know naff all and pay over the odds on credit, some punters pay cash and can get a bargain if they know what to look for.

OGR

They have separate companies for that:

Superbike Factory Ltd handles the purchasing and sales of the bikes themselves along with maintenance and service activities. They turned over £28,097,650 last year which yielded a gross profit of £6,175,647.

Superbike Loans Ltd handles the financing activities. They turned over £908,338 last year which yielded a gross profit of £908,338 and a net profit of £241,280.

Interestingly there is a parent company Project Vincent Topco Ltd (changed name to Superbike Factory Holdings Ltd) and another company set up solely to pay their Directors: Project Vincent Bidco Ltd. This appears to have been the vehicle used to acquire Superbike Factory as part of a Management Buy-Out in 2017 by Livingbridge Enterprise 2 LLP.

Due to the losses, the Directors and Shareholders (same Directors by the information in the Annual Returns) they didn't receive any dividends but they did pay themselves £671,639.00 between the four of them (approx. £167,909 each). Not bad for making huge losses every year. Nice.

For comparison, their non-Director staff were paid in total £3,192,404 among 122 staff (removed 4 Directors from total staff number) which means the average salary there is around £26,167.

They reported a group loss of £5,024,969 for 2020 and a loss of £3,939,331 for 2019.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

They have separate companies for that:

Superbike Factory Ltd handles the purchasing and sales of the bikes themselves along with maintenance and service activities. They turned over £28,097,650 last year which yielded a gross profit of £6,175,647.

Superbike Loans Ltd handles the financing activities. They turned over £908,338 last year which yielded a gross profit of £908,338 and a net profit of £241,280.

Interestingly there is a parent company Project Vincent Topco Ltd (changed name to Superbike Factory Holdings Ltd) and another company set up solely to pay their Directors: Project Vincent Bidco Ltd. This appears to have been the vehicle used to acquire Superbike Factory as part of a Management Buy-Out in 2017 by Livingbridge Enterprise 2 LLP.

Due to the losses, the Directors and Shareholders (same Directors by the information in the Annual Returns) they didn't receive any dividends but they did pay themselves £671,639.00 between the four of them (approx. £167,909 each). Not bad for making huge losses every year. Nice.

For comparison, their non-Director staff were paid in total £3,192,404 among 122 staff (removed 4 Directors from total staff number) which means the average salary there is around £26,167.

They reported a group loss of £5,024,969 for 2020 and a loss of £3,939,331 for 2019.

As someone who thinks they are reasonably well informed I still have no understanding of business practices such as those above. How does a compnay that loses 9 million over two years stay in business? Huge assets? Beats me.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3