Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ebay's most majestic bike..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

You've obviously never ridden one, or you have a new definition of 'fun' that I've not previously come across.

Nope - never ridden one. Just a pure (optimistic) guess.

Can you describe how it might be different from a 1970s CB350 though? I'd be interested to know.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Shaft wrote:

You've obviously never ridden one, or you have a new definition of 'fun' that I've not previously come across.

Can you describe how it might be different from a 1970s CB350 though? I'd be interested to know.

What I can tell you is that I think it was the bike that coined the phrase, "handles like it has a hinge in the middle" Laughing
Gutless, bland, zero character. Although I suppose you could say that when the two halves of the bike want to go in different directions in a bend, that's a kind of character. But so is a smack addict Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero character? That's a shame. Makes sense what you're saying about handling though. Just looking at that frame and the rake I can imagine what the flex must be like.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/mAsAAOSw4qxeto6Z/$_86.JPG

Worse than a pushbike...

I have a real soft spot for the late 80s CB350SG, and the 70s CB350 and CL350 are obviously iconic handsome bikes, and reliable too, but a bike has to have nice handling at either 60mph or 80mph, and if it has neither then it's hateful. At least I know what to avoid for a future project!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:46 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the later CB350 looked nice in red and white, but I think it's about the same engine? So I was never really interested in it after the SD.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It's an ugly duckling but I bet it's a lot of fun.

Here's another:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403454221231

Colour scheme makes up for a lot.

Cannot unsee this now

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/t-IAAOSwxbhiAAJX/s-l1600.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNmYwZmExYzEtMjkzNS00ZDY3LWE4MGYtNjk5MThkMDczMmM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzgxNDk0NTI@._V1_.jpg

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Not very.

From memory, the 350 sits somewhere between the 250 and 400 SD in terms of performance, maybe 10 bhp more than the 250, 10 bhp less than the 400.

The SD motor has twin balance shafts, 3 valve heads and a 6 speed box, so it revs better and smoother, plus it's a bit easier to keep on the boil.

The bottom line is though, the SD was introduced in the 70s and it shows, they may have made it's various iterations look a bit sharper over the years, but the basic machine didn't really change; it started out as an everyman commuter and never got beyond that.

I get the impression you like to follow the path less travelled and what I'm going to say next might seem hackneyed and cliched to you, but if I was going to buy a 70s middleweight Honda today, I would look no further than a 400 Four, surely one of their greatest jewels.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 02 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Majestic' might be overstating the case but I rather like this..

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Zv4AAOSwmUxiGnDx/s-l1600.jpg

I have soft-spot for a Bros and something like this must surely be what a contemporary cafe racer should look like.. i.e. not another fuckin' CG125 with chequered tape and ace bars

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165357535259?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Zv4AAOSwmUxiGnDx/s-l1600.jpg

I have soft-spot for a Bros and something like this must surely be what a contemporary cafe racer should look like.. i.e. not another fuckin' CG125 with chequered tape and ace bars

I think you need to look at the other side though

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jC4AAOSwgEViGnEg/s-l1600.jpg

What the fuck is going on with that expansion bottle Shocked

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I do really like the look of this generally (apart from the crappy paint and the expansion bottle). The fireblade(?) front end and the NC30(?) rear seem era/brand appropriate. I do wonder how badly the geometry has been screwed and just how uncomfortable it'll be with no seat padding and those clipons though. There's no denying, for me, it's cool, but then 90's Honda styling is definitely my jam.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about saying which bikes you like, on this thread.

This forum has a LOT of readers and very few contributors.

An old guy said the CB400/4 was an underrated gem representing the best of 70s Japanese bikes. Couple of days later, a kid in America who's trying to be a pro Youtuber bought himself a CB 500/4, with no real enthusiasm nor any reason, to help his channel.

I watched a few of his videos, and you get a lot of BCF stuff and talking points being regurgitated. He's about 20 years old and only has experience of one bike (an old Triumph). This is how content here on BCF gets exploited. He is going at it with a view to making his channel an easy way to get passive income. He isn't the only one, but this is very much a real trend.

There was a process whereby a lot of really, really good old bikes (e.g. 70s BMW boxers) were snapped up for no reason by the hipster lot, when the trend was in full swing, and made rarer by hapless bodgery, the end result of which was that the asking price of these bikes (unmodified) went through the roof.

Just be aware of how your opinions and content here are being used and capitalised, that's all I'm saying.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my opinions were being copied and capitalised I'd fucking piss myself.....

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Be careful about saying which bikes you like, on this thread.

This forum has a LOT of readers and very few contributors.

An old guy said the CB400/4 was an underrated gem representing the best of 70s Japanese bikes. Couple of days later, a kid in America who's trying to be a pro Youtuber bought himself a CB 500/4, with no real enthusiasm nor any reason, to help his channel.

I watched a few of his videos, and you get a lot of BCF stuff and talking points being regurgitated. He's about 20 years old and only has experience of one bike (an old Triumph). This is how content here on BCF gets exploited. He is going at it with a view to making his channel an easy way to get passive income. He isn't the only one, but this is very much a real trend.

There was a process whereby a lot of really, really good old bikes (e.g. 70s BMW boxers) were snapped up for no reason by the hipster lot, when the trend was in full swing, and made rarer by hapless bodgery, the end result of which was that the asking price of these bikes (unmodified) went through the roof.

Just be aware of how your opinions and content here are being used and capitalised, that's all I'm saying.

Send us a link to matey's youtube and I'll try and pick out any of my gems!

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/c/bartmotorcycle/videos

Interesting case study I think, because this is how it always starts. This is textbook. Just 9K subscribers, most of which have been bought and paid for. Opinion pieces, stock footage from shutterstock, lists of 10, etc. Just now being picked up by the Youtube algorithm, so he'll be the next glorious infallible a la Fortnine, etc. Commenters take him at face value. Hints of some kind of deal with electric bike makers, and sponsorship by a couple of companies - very professionally, he ducks all direct questions about this. Just as he expects, most of the time, most of the people take him and his declared interest at face value. However, as is often the case, I see just another estate agent type, in his face. Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him (and that isn't far).

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Even seeing the other side of it Im not really put off. A real expansion bottle and a rear shock thats 10-15mm longer would make that into a semi respectable play toy that doesnt look like a complete bag of smashed assholes.

Still overpriced mind.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
A100man wrote:

Interesting case study I think, because this is how it always starts. This is textbook. Just 9K subscribers, most of which have been bought and paid for. Opinion pieces, stock footage from shutterstock, lists of 10, etc. Just now being picked up by the Youtube algorithm, so he'll be the next glorious infallible a la Fortnine, etc. Commenters take him at face value. Hints of some kind of deal with electric bike makers, and sponsorship by a couple of companies - very professionally, he ducks all direct questions about this. Just as he expects, most of the time, most of the people take him and his declared interest at face value. However, as is often the case, I see just another estate agent type, in his face. Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him (and that isn't far).

Ah yes --seen one or two of that guy. He's putting in some time and he's on the make obvs but it doesn't offend me too much. Not really that interested in his view so, meh, be happy. At least he's not from the hipster mould -perhaps that's over now !

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Ah yes --seen one or two of that guy. He's putting in some time and he's on the make obvs but it doesn't offend me too much. Not really that interested in his view so, meh, be happy. At least he's not from the hipster mould -perhaps that's over now !

Fair enough mate.

He's got the measure of us and of what conservative, tasteful attitudes are in respect of bikes, and he's going to monetise that. Fine.

However, if you were to ask yourself what you would advise yourself to do, in the current climate, if you were his age, would it be that? Just about anything you do will make you money, as long as you do something in earnest. If I were to advise myself at that age, then I would say something like: stay the length of the party, until the early morning. Take home that one that's on E you've been ogling. Because you'll get an experience that in later years you'll only get at £big per hour. Meanwhile, motorcycles belong to that same class: something you do for yourself, for fun, for your private and personal entertainment. However, you're right, to each their own. "Sigma grindset" although just about any activity you throw yourself into would yield the same or greater profit than becoming a Youtube fake.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

How much revenue would a channel w/ half a million subscribers generate? Could you be making $30k a year? Quite possibly - lots of variables, but still - that'd be quite an achievement. To walk away from it would be brave? Foolhardy? Weird? Regardless, it's apparently what that bart person did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0I_f6uGCoY

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

How much revenue would a channel w/ half a million subscribers generate? Could you be making $30k a year? Quite possibly - lots of variables, but still - that'd be quite an achievement. To walk away from it would be brave? Foolhardy? Weird? Regardless, it's apparently what that bart person did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0I_f6uGCoY

I've no idea whether he actually did that or whether that's just something he claims he did. He obviously isn't doing this stuff for a hobby, but to build an even bigger channel. He does it with great confidence, which suggests he has experience in turning Youtube into a revenue stream. But that doesn't mean I have to swallow the bollocks. Regardless of the revenue someone might be getting, I have no ideological basis of support for them. I don't care if they're Bill Gates or a beggar. If I ask on here, should I buy a Z900 or an MT-09, the answers and information are worth something to me. They have value because I benefit. I don't give a shit about his slow-pan camera angles and his being tuned into the switched-off-brain "you're so right" mode of his viewers, who either just want positive reinforcement or to be acknowledged. To me, it's clear that his channel has zero value. To Youtube, it's clear that they can stick adverts on his videos and monetise attention.

I hear that nowadays, the most desired career path of a Gen Z is "Twitch streamer". I'm not for or against, but I'm just looking for where the value is, for me.

In matey matey "bart"'s case, I see a potential for a net loss for me, you and everyone normal. Because if you say what's a cool underrated bike on here, there's a chance he'll buy one and use it for just one video for his channel content, as he did with that CB500/4. This will raise the market value of that particular bike. Don't care about his channel and his lies about what he likes or finds genuinely cool - he's just another Yank faking it until he makes it, pretending he's the top of the food chain and the ultimate arbiter of what's cool. I care only about profit and loss, just like him.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:43 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what effect a yank buying the odd bike to ruin would have on the British secondhand bike market but there you go.

The reason why every brat bike is a cg125 is 1)its learner legal 2)there are millions of them and 3)no loss if ruined because they're hateful fucking things when brand new.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
pretending he's ... the ultimate arbiter of what's cool.

Tsk, especially when everyone knows that's me. Rolling Eyes

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Because if you say what's a cool underrated bike on here, there's a chance he'll buy one and use it for just one video for his channel content, as he did with that CB500/4. This will raise the market value of that particular bike...[snip]...I care only about profit and loss, just like him.

Suppose you owned a 500/4 and were looking to sell it - you might benefit from that shtick. So, presumably, caring about profit, you'd praise the tosser?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I think social media creates a lot of problems and Youtube is a part of it because it incentivises fake and useless content. It's not so much a moral issue ("that guy is doing wrong, and profiting from it!") as much as a generalised contempt I have for that whole business. It's just too flakey for my taste, plus there's a strong element of exploitation (of the naive/lonely viewer) in that formula for passive income.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may or may not personally incentivise fake and useless content - but as far as bcf goes, i'm certainly responsible for a fair amount of it.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta dah!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/y4wAAOSwcB1iKIBs/s-l600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325053719987

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:39 - 23 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

/\ wrong thread shirley?

Anyway, relive your teenage years if you're of a certain age !!

https://i.postimg.cc/Kv7dX7h0/274524356-4817805721607789-6610137277786057115-n.png

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1160647694708553
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10