Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Zealand to ban cigarettes for future generations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
There is an argument for banning people

No people: no problem. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Well that's a bollox argument as the tax revenue is commensurate with the usage so it hasn't changed (except got bigger as the gov increase it) per smoker at all.

Apart from the decrease in uptake of smoking...

Yes the diehard (no pun intended but still Laughing ) smokers still exist but they're a declining customer base and revenue resources.

Then what's the problem, they are dieing out (no pun intended Laughing ) and while they are still smoking they are certainly paying their way with the tax. Whats a packet of fags nowadays? a tenner? When I was at sea 200 was £3.60.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real issue is why people are smoking or taking drugs. It's a result of another problem in their life which should be addressed in most cases e.g stress, marriage problems. It is very similar to the case of guns, guns are not a problem they just take the blame for societies failures in other areas around mental health, and the root causes crime. Ultimately much of this comes down to an unwillingness to ask difficult questions. If we handled crime properly offences like burglary, robbery etc would be near zero.

doggone wrote:
Islander wrote:

Step away from the tinfoil hat. Laughing

You like saying this but she is one of the WEF young leaders you can look it up on their site. here Oh and just look at who else is there it's like a list of villains.
And one of their aims is to be able to control what you will be allowed to buy because they know better.
Progressing quite well isn't it.

You may also want to read up on common purpose. They are upto the same sorts of activities in the shadows. They realised the public wouldn't vote for woke so they just bypassed democracy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Not really, I think that if you are known to do things that increase your risk over a certain number of standard deviations from the mean of the population you should pay for private health insurance. I am also Utilitarian in some ways.

That's fair enough if NZ said "you can carry on smoking but don't think you'll be getting public health care!" But that would come across as cruel. This is more "We're doing this for your own good because we care!" which is easier to sell.

To be clear (and I admit I CBA to wade through NZ government bills, just studying our own government's is taxing enough) I have read they will be banning sale of tobacco and tobacco-based products for future generations.

Cigarettes (in the cellophane wrapped, condensed evil variety) are a specific product artificially created to exploit and impoverish. Yes, banning them is correct IMHO. But what about everything else? How about heat not burn, snus, snuff, ecigs, pipe tobacco, rolling tobacco? Granted none of these are without health risks but AFAIK they are not of identical risk as with cigarettes.

Then there's patches, sprays and gum. Oh they'll be okay because Big Pharma make them. And if they're ineffectual we can just do some victim blaming.

tl;dr let's not conflate cigarettes, tobacco, tobacco-based and ultimately nicotine as all one and the same thing. It's the lie that the ideologs have been peddling for years Sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The real issue is why people are smoking or taking drugs.

Probably better to ask why most people aren't taking drugs. Life is a rollercoaster as the song goes Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we all gonna eventually have to live forever?! Not be allowed to die from anything? Crying or Very sad

Fuck it - if they ban smoking here, I'm taking up heroin Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Are we all gonna eventually have to live forever?! Not be allowed to die from anything? Crying or Very sad

That's the duality of man: 50% animal, 50% immortal god. Life is just about feeding one and denying the other.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

That's the duality of man: 50% animal, 50% immortal god. Life is just about feeding one and denying the other.

Not being funny or dismissing your comment or anything like that, but you do talk some bollocks sometimes Easy Laughing

I should know... Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Whats a packet of fags nowadays? a tenner? When I was at sea 200 was £3.60.

Wink

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/mcs/media/images/52317000/jpg/_52317205_000304602-1.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Whats a packet of fags nowadays? a tenner? When I was at sea 200 was £3.60.

Wink

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/mcs/media/images/52317000/jpg/_52317205_000304602-1.jpg

Not far off me, I'm just much more grumpy.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 17:23 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada banned menthol cigarettes a few years ago and the black market has flourished. Mostly due to some Indian reserves manufacturing them along with regular cigarettes for reserve use only which they are allowed to do (different rules for Canada`s professional victims) but of course they illegally sell them tax free to anyone.

Black market prices are now half as much as legal taxed cigarettes and easy to get anywhere Laughing
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Not being funny or dismissing your comment or anything like that, but you do talk some bollocks sometimes Easy Laughing

I should know... Smile

You've only just noticed or you were too polite to say before? Laughing Laughing Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
Canada banned menthol cigarettes a few years ago

so did the UK - not aware of any black market tho

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Again? I thought you couldn't afford it. Razz

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Not far off me, I'm just much more grumpy.

How many ships have sunk with you on them then? Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
tatters wrote:
Canada banned menthol cigarettes a few years ago

so did the UK - not aware of any black market tho

that's because they found a workaround. You CAN buy menthol filter tips and roll your own or a menthol inpregnated card that you slip into your packet of fags.

Vaping seems to be a much bigger thing in the UK than it is in Europe. I wonder how other countries like Canada or NZ have picked up on it?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Again? I thought you couldn't afford it. Razz

You can turn to crime to fund a heroin habit Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Vaping seems to be a much bigger thing in the UK than it is in Europe. I wonder how other countries like Canada or NZ have picked up on it?

I know Oz is openly hostile to ecigs, NZ is not far behind (don't know about Canada.) The UK seems to be an anomaly.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I know Oz is openly hostile to ecigs, NZ is not far behind (don't know about Canada.) The UK seems to be an anomaly.

Really? That does surprise me.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:23 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Sold everywhere cigarettes would normally be sold along with specialty vaping shops, doesn't seem to be popular.

Cannabis which once they legalized a few years ago and started selling from shops didn't really increase use, though a lot of that was due to taxes making it still cheaper to buy from private sellers...

I worked on the construction of one of the largest grow sites in Canada by Edmonton airport. They have the capacity to grow up to 100-500 tons a year but the bubble burst on cannabis due to lack of demand and the place shutdown.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 09 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, NZ going nazi, trying to outdo Oz?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It's unexpected how NZ have turned into such control freaks,

Not at all.
They have always been secretly conservative (with a small c), occasionally to the point of narrowmindedness and can be inclined to being extremely provincial.

Not what the world normally thinks of NZ, but in fact it is very true.
Under that quirky outspoken appearance, many Kiwis are frighteningly straight.

I'm sure Jacinda is very lovely IRL but that wokeness - which causes her to appear as though she is constipated, straining to achieve it - is doing the nation no favours at all.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both NZ and Aus had those disgustingly graphic pictures of gangrenous mouth and scabby knobs on their fag packets at least ten years before the UK took up the practice.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:54 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Both NZ and Aus had those disgustingly graphic pictures of gangrenous mouth and scabby knobs on their fag packets at least ten years before the UK took up the practice.

One of the UK ones has a picture of an eye on it that I'm 95% certain is actually a dogs eye.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
One of the UK ones has a picture of an eye on it that I'm 95% certain is actually a dogs eye.

If you told people that smoking will make their dog blind it would probably be a more effective deterrent to be honest.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3