Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Identify the bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:40 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Identify the bike Reply with quote

My brither in law does house clearence as part of his job in an auction house and he's come across a couple of bikes as part of this.

On of them is a CBF125, which I side could be worth £1-2 grand depending on condition/if it works.

The other one is this.

What is it and what sort of value does it have?

https://i.imgur.com/ozGyavb.jpg

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:10 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Idea on value but could be a KZ400?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:12 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Well spotted.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Z400, maybe a 440. Ally wheels makes it 1980 I think. Looks like it's fitted with a Motad exhaust.

Look here:https://www.kz400.com/ModelhistoryFrameset-9.htm

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Looks like a Z400, maybe a 440. Ally wheels makes it 1980 I think. Looks like it's fitted with a Motad exhaust.

Look here:https://www.kz400.com/ModelhistoryFrameset-9.htm

or maybe Z250? Value as a runner about a grand maybe 1500 if you get lucky since not a original paint afaict.

Edit: looks pretty clean so add a couple of hundred to those prices. If it were a 2T from the era - double the money.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frame number on the headstock will idntify it properly. Kawasaki put the model as a prefix on the VIN for most of the models of that era.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:46 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be worth more if you remove the side panels, airbox and front mudguard...

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z400

Looks identical to a Z440C at first glance, until you notice the kickstarter.

The frame number will tell you, as will the cc figure stamped into the engine. I'm not sure if white was an original colour - I'd have to check. The side panels look debadged - the badges are normally attached through holes in those panels. Don't know if these bikes came with that brake master cylinder, either, or just the 70s style massive one which doesn't activate the brake light.

Looks nice. No idea what it's worth. What's the mileage, and does it work?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:35 - 10 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea.h3 just wanted to knownwhether they were special enough to make an offer on then or not.

They aren't so he won't. Like I say he's an auctioneer mainly dealing in fine art and the like so not of sufficient value for him to go massively outside his core business.

If the go as a job lot with the rest of the property he'll probably just stick them on ebay.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:38 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just turned up a vellocete, a modern triumph twin and a motoguzzi.

https://i.imgur.com/HrlziN5.jpg

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
He's just turned up a vellocete, a modern triumph twin and a motoguzzi.

https://i.imgur.com/HrlziN5.jpg

Loving the period indicators.. one of these maybe..?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocette_Valiant

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:22 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clearly not fully original which will affect the value.

Turns out they will all be sold by him next year.

The guzzi is a bit shiny. May turn out to be the best of the bunch.

https://i.imgur.com/EDkMTPp.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that strap is for decoration and not really holding the tank on.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:33 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I hope that strap is for decoration and not really holding the tank on.

That's how race tanks were held on back in the day.

My trials tank is held on with a big rubber band.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Identify the bike Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The other one is this.
What is it and what sort of value does it have?

https://i.imgur.com/ozGyavb.jpg

The white paint, alloy wheels, aluminum fender and rear fender should be good clues as to the model year. But I checked out Pete's link and cannot find a bike that matches all the criteria.
Closest looks like a 1981 G3 Custom, but according to the web page, did not come in white.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white paint is clearly not original.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Z400G (confirmed by Haynes).

It's been debadged and resprayed, yes.
The brake master cylinder is the original one.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:50 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by the appearance of other two bikes in the garage, if you were in the market for a zed, it would probably be a good-un. I've never seen that model of velo in the flesh before.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bikes are absolutely lovely to ride. They have a lot of character.

The engine spins counterclockwise, pistons go up and down as one. The balancing system is unique: there's a chain that drives 2 (!) shafts, afore and aft of the crank.

The figures you find online in a Google search as to hp are completely wrong. It's all a bit of a mess because there was a deliberately underpowered version of both the 400 and 440 for certain markets. The 440 in standard form is a light bike and the UK version in standard form pushes out over 40hp. It's also quite light.

The front brake on the Z400 pictured (which is a bit of a parts bin special and not all that special, to tell the truth) is the good one, if you're in the market for old Kwaks. Note the unevenly spaced drilled pattern on the rotor. This is one of the few parts that isn't interchangeable between all the models - the offset for this rotor is different from the solid disc rotor used in earlier models.

Just to mention all of this because the dimensions of the front wheel and front disc on the 400 pictured are important for all the classic 80s Kwak (the same is used on the 650 and many other models), and the drilled ones can use interchangeable rotors. Different wheel and tyre sizes are dependent on the presence or absence of that disc.

Going by what I've been told by a very serious classic Kwak enthusiast, that unique drilled pattern on the front disc is never found on the "C" models of any 80s Kawasaki, and "C" was a reserved product code for the ones that were 100% made in Japan. The Z guys, according to him, value the C models (of all capacities) most highly.

I wouldn't discount that that Z400G would be of serious interest to an enthusiast. However, it would probably be worth more when cafe'd, sadly.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:04 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guzzi is not as special as it looks, it's a fairly recent V7 racer. The shiny tank is standard. Possibly the leather strap as well, or such a popular aftermarket thing that most of them have it.

The velo gave me a rise.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:10 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
The Guzzi is not as special as it looks, it's a fairly recent V7 racer. The shiny tank is standard. Possibly the leather strap as well, or such a popular aftermarket thing that most of them have it.

The velo gave me a rise.

If you like I'll let you know when it's being auctioned.

Basically he'll be auctioning off a deseaseds estate on behalf of the beneficiaries. The auction house will take its cut, obviously.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:22 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

If you like I'll let you know when it's being auctioned.

Yes. Don't let my wife know.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

V7 racer, guzzi fans love them, good £6k in a dealer age irrelevant

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:27 - 26 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info.

I'm going to see if I can start all the bikes Saturday after next so that he can say in the auction whether they've been started recently or not.

In addition to the 20 outboards and a couple of boats there#'s a couple of tractors and a drive on lawn mower that looks like it's never been started.

There are two Snapon tool chests that, judging by everthing else and who the guy was,| is probably full of snapon tools. Fisty is already jizzing repeatedly.

And just as a bonus, he's an a bronze coloured supercub that looked imaculate from the photo he showed me....

Link to the obit below, house has been valued at 5mil....

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/19689236.obituary-barry-sims-well-liked-greatly-respected-member-box-community/

No 32 bikes,so unfortunately he's still alive.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 27 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Those bikes are absolutely lovely to ride. They have a lot of character.

The engine spins counterclockwise, pistons go up and down as one. The balancing system is unique: there's a chain that drives 2 (!) shafts, afore and aft of the crank.

My old 400 twin was definitely one of my favourite ever bikes. Easy to work on, plodded along at 80 quite happily and I couldn't give a toss about Le Mans starts at the lights - they might get off the line quicker than me but I could rest easy in knowing that if there was ever a tractor that needed pulling out of a ditch that the Zed was the bike for the job. Laughing
Those balance chains were a PITA, the counter weights were designed so that they ate the pulley on the crankshaft. I was one of the few owners who took mine out and had some welding wizard rebuild the pulley, most owners, unfortunately, would take the simpler option and throw away the chain and balance weights. The result being an already vibey twin turning into rattling mess that eventually shook the engine apart.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2