Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle handling difference's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

GfromLT
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:28 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Motorcycle handling difference's Reply with quote

Hello,
Im brand new rider (probably have around 20 hours of riding under my belt). Im located in eastern Eu and recently finished my courses and passed my riding exam second time (yay!) and it kinda does have something to do with my question:

Why would same model bike handle differently?

Basically both the driving school and exam center use the same model (not same bike) yamaha xj6n made from 2009 to 2015.

School bike was handling really well, last few practices I could goof around on it. Most importantly, if I was turning handlebars a bit and let it go, it would straightened it self out.

In contrast, exam center bike, although looked the same and was exact same model, was really different. A little turn would make it turn even more with comperatevily high force, as a result it pinched my thumb between handlebar and gastank. I was shocked, couldnt and cant understand why, where do the difference come from? Does majority of motorcycles handle like this?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:44 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre make, tyre wear, suspension setup, ride height.

What you describe with the steering sounds typical of what would happen if there was a discrepancy in the front to rear ride-height with the front of the bike lower than it should be relative to the rear causing a steeper rake-angle. Either due to the front end being lower or the back end being higher than the ones you are used to. This tends to make the steering feel faster and the front end has a tendancy to "tuck in" to corners.

Potential causes include different tyre profiles, different shock preload, the position of the forks in the clamps or potentially the use of lowering kits (more likely on the ones that were less responsive to steering input).

Low tyre pressure, especially on the front can also cause this kind of feeling.

Do you have to use the exam center bike or could you use one of the riding school bikes for your test?

GfromLT
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:14 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Do you have to use the exam center bike or could you use one of the riding school bikes for your test?

There are predecided dates you can choose from in advance for exam with center bike and separetly for coming with "your own" bike (no idea why). There was an open spot to take exam with exam center bike, so I took it. Suspiciously, all of dates to take exam with "your own" bike was taken months in advanc and there were alot of spots to take exam with center bike.

I am planning to buy a 500cc bike either gs500, er5 or cb500. They're pretty cheap where Im at (around 1000 euro). Its good to know now, that handling can be tunned and improved. I really liked school bike, turning was effortless.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:21 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you plan on insuring it without a full licence for the bike

GfromLT
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:28 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How do you plan on insuring it without a full licence for the bike

Im not catching what you're saying, sorry.

I did pass my test second time, I am 26, so I skipped A1 and A2 licensing and got A category which allows to drive any bike of any CC.
Just gotta buy the bike, have the paper work made and insure it with no problem.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:49 - 11 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I thought you were talking about using a different bike for your test.

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:05 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle handling difference's Reply with quote

GfromLT wrote:

Why would same model bike handle differently?

Basically both the driving school and exam center use the same model (not same bike) yamaha xj6n made from 2009 to 2015.

School bike was handling really well, last few practices I could goof around on it. Most importantly, if I was turning handlebars a bit and let it go, it would straightened it self out.

In contrast, exam center bike, although looked the same and was exact same model, was really different. A little turn would make it turn even more with comperatevily high force, as a result it pinched my thumb between handlebar and gastank. I was shocked, couldnt and cant understand why, where do the difference come from? Does majority of motorcycles handle like this?

Perhaps the school bike had a functioning steering damper. Exam bike didn't?

GfromLT
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:33 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle handling difference's Reply with quote

Mysteriass wrote:

Perhaps the school bike had a functioning steering damper. Exam bike didn't?

Didnt notice, to be fair.

Im no expert at this, but from my knowledge steering dampers are for preventing death wobble and unnecessary vibrations, shouldnt impact slow turning aspects.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a lot like the guns at the target shooting booth at the fair, slightly bent barrels Sad For some reason they all got upset when I pulled out my AK47 Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:26 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving school vehicles take a hammering too so perhaps the bike was broken somehow. I had a similar thing when I learned to drive. I was using the schools car and couldn't get on with it. The clutch was heavy and snatchy and the gearbox was vague with wobbly springs and worn gateing. It was like driving some sort of comedy clown-car.

I got fed up with it and took my own car to the next lesson, the instructor told me to put in for my test immediately, which I passed.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle handling difference's Reply with quote

GfromLT wrote:
A little turn would make it turn even more with comperatevily high force, as a result it pinched my thumb between handlebar and gastank.

That isn't normal. I wonder if that bike had been crashed

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 12 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle handling difference's Reply with quote

GfromLT wrote:
A little turn would make it turn even more with comperatevily high force, as a result it pinched my thumb between handlebar and gastank.

That sounds like low pressure in the front tyre to me, from the description at least. I've experienced something similar.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1