BCF: Bike Chat Forums

WTAF..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: WTAF.. Reply with quote

or ebay's most curious bike.. I give you..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255271883336?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: WTAF.. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
or ebay's most curious bike.. I give you..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255271883336?

That is... errr... something Smile

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2ykAAOSw9lVhs9OX/s-l1600.jpg

Not sure how it's worth over a bag Thinking

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at how they used skinny tube and poundshop screws
for the suspension, I'd say its unfit for any motorcycling purposes.

Its not even a rat bike as most them are scruffy but usually fit for use
So it was used in a circus, so what?

Pile o shite

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circus bike indeed! Wink

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall of death bike I reckon, no front brake, possibly removed to save weight, I would wear asbestos underpants with that exhaust.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:52 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1200 FOR THAT?

The thing is worth £400. MAX.
Even paying £400 for that is a bit of piss take.

I really dont get these modern day prices. They are a complete joke.
Also hand made? It has wheels, a frame and an engine. The seat looks like it was torn off some shitty sofa with a tiny amount of foam and a bit of wood inside. The gas tank is probably buyable for like £5 on ebay. And the exhaust looks like they found the cheapest thing possible in their yard and thrown it on the bike.

Don't get me wrong, I like it. But I can not even fathom in what world that is considered rare or remotely worth £1200.

Maybe I should buy a bike paint it in my own shit and call it a rare YBR 125 worth £5000.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
I like it.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/889/337/4bf.jpg

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear shock is interesting. Why would you have it slung underneath? I thought it was extending the shock instead of compressing it when the swingarm moved at first, but now I'm not so sure. The gear lever looks like it operates forward/back rather than up/down too, but it might just be droopy.

I am genuinely curious to know what its original purpose was, assuming it wasn't "being a clown bike". Surely the only thing you'd need to do to a normal bike for clown purposes is maybe downgear it, remove a load of stuff?

Last edited by Zen Dog on 22:58 - 13 Dec 2021; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

I am genuinely curious to know what it's original purpose was, assuming it wasn't "being a clown bike". Surely the only thing you'd need to do to a normal bike for clown purposes is maybe downgear it, remove a load of stuff?

Yes, now you mention it..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circuses had elephants in those days. Elephants.

I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid seeing a clown hop on that and do a few tricks.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:36 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a real wall of death. They used old brits and didn't use a deathtrap.

The limiting factor was the g and how long they could withstand it safely.

(Bath and West ground, around 1990. Wouldnt go there for the show these days because run by hells angels. Didn't know any better then. I did get to pilot a hovercraft though....)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:47 - 13 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional:

If I can remember correctly they also had to takei into account the fact.the floats in the carb won't work correctly because, although the fuel will flow to the carb correctly because of the g,the floats wouldn't work properly because they don't work on their side so it was they had to come down before the engine floods.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:08 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely if it was a clown bike they'd have re-laced the wheels with the hub eccentric? And it would be fitted with a squeezy-bulb horn.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:16 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've seen a real wall of death. They used old brits and didn't use a deathtrap.

The limiting factor was the g and how long they could withstand it safely.

(Bath and West ground, around 1990. Wouldnt go there for the show these days because run by hells angels. Didn't know any better then. I did get to pilot a hovercraft though....)

I went to one at the BMAD festival in Paignton about ten years ago. They used Indians, bloody old ones at that, and if I recall correctly from their spiel Indians were the only bikes used for Wall of death riding on both sides of the Atlantic.

As for the heap in question I think Yamaha might be peeved at being listed as the manufacturer. Laughing
I wonder why it has a small sprocket on the opposite side of the rear sprocket? Convenient width for a spacer???

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bizarre contraption. It looks a bit like something a kid would make in tech at school from bits rescued from a junkyard. Someone with a limited understanding of physics too as presumably the rear suspension is operating in tension rather than compression?!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
The rear shock is interesting. Why would you have it slung underneath? I thought it was extending the shock instead of compressing it when the swingarm moved at first, but now I'm not so sure. The gear lever looks like it operates forward/back rather than up/down too, but it might just be droopy.

I am genuinely curious to know what its original purpose was, assuming it wasn't "being a clown bike". Surely the only thing you'd need to do to a normal bike for clown purposes is maybe downgear it, remove a load of stuff?

I agree, it's the wrong way round.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:43 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

I went to one at the BMAD festival in Paignton about ten years ago. They used Indians, bloody old ones at that, and if I recall correctly from their spiel Indians were the only bikes used for Wall of death riding on both sides of the Atlantic.

Two words, Guy Martin.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:

I agree, it's the wrong way round.

That shock doen't even look to be connected to anything at the front/top

I suspect whatever it was connected to has snapped off, and it's just been slung underneath for the photo

bugzsprinter
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:45 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely this actual clown must've meant £1.20 and a pack of marlboro reds to cover up the stink from the oil burning from that leaking monstrosity of an exhaust. seen better chinese honda win's

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 14 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/LsxnYQp.png

Been having a think about this rear shock. I think it isn't actually a conventional shock at all, and basically consists of a spring, a "damper rod", and a casing. And I think what happens is that when the suspension operates, the damper rod (which is free floating at the front end) is drawn through the casing, but the spring is held captive by the casing (and hence compresses). The casing itself is prevented from moving by the bolt that the footrest is hanging from.

So it basically works like a ball point pen, but the other way around, so the tip of the "pen" is pulled out by the swing arm, rather than pushed.

It's incredibly crude obviously, but I think it provides functional (undamped) suspension, probably for a "comedy bouncing effect".

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Two words, Guy Martin.

You and I are about as likely to see Guy Martin on a Wall of death as we are seeing him plough a field - just because he holds speed world records using machinery does not make him the norm, not by a long shot.
I reckon my money would be fairly safe if I were to bet that he could build a better machine, than our featured article, from bits in his garage given a couple of hours and wearing a blindfold. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:33 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Colin Furze used a step-through scooter on his wall of death.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:07 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forks and wheels look suspiciously like Puch Maxi/ mobylette or similar, the welded bottom yoke gives that away. Never a model of rigidity. The Spanny bit of the exhaust is a length of Flexible car exhaust. It looks like the sort of thing me and my school mates would have knocked up when we were 15 , if we had access to a welder. As it was we had to make do with hanging a Bantam engine in a Mobylette frame using nuts and bolts .

Just noticed, the forks have a bracket for an old style bicycle front lamp - handy for riding round the rec after dark

Seen the wall of death at the Dorset steamfair several times . They use CB200's and old 20's Indians.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Wall of Death carb thing, don't chainsaws have carbs that run in various orientations?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:08 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
On the Wall of Death carb thing, don't chainsaws have carbs that run in various orientations?

That can set bikes up like that but the limiting factor is usually G.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2