Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Model Railways

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:31 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Model Railways Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about serious model railways?

My eldest grandson and I have played with Tomy railways since he was knee high to a grasshopper but he's now old enough to not destroy things for the sake of it and loves railway sets and I'd like to keep the bond we have going. The one thing that seems a given. They aren't cheap.

Any pointers would be appreciated

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:40 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know fk-all about model railways.

But I know there’s a program on the Yesterday channel about model trains.
Might be worth a look??

Models and possibly train-sets are something I have considered as a hobby for when I’m old and can’t get out and about much.
Hopefully that won’t be for a while yet.

Also considered restoring Dinky/Corgi/Matchbox cars as a hobby for when I become less mobile.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad's into them, only advise I think I can offer from him though is go small. I believe he uses N (smaller than your average Hornby), it allows you to have more railway in the same space.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Model Railways Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Does anyone know anything about serious model railways?

My eldest grandson and I have played with Tomy railways since he was knee high to a grasshopper but he's now old enough to not destroy things for the sake of it and loves railway sets and I'd like to keep the bond we have going. The one thing that seems a given. They aren't cheap.

Any pointers would be appreciated
I had a look around youtube and it seems now that people don't just turn a knob and watch from above. They watch from inside the cab as the engine drives via small cameras.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SKdYFhr230

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newer stuff is very expensive. The program Pepparami refers to is Hornby: A model world. It’s on Yesterday at 8pm on a Thursday. If you watch that you will see why it is so costly.

Going N gauge does get you more kit in the available space but it is very fiddly, if I’m honest I don’t think it’s ideal for playing with, great if you are a rivet man (detail obsessed) and want to recreate stations etc. but less so for the 6 to 14 age group.

Be wary of controllers/transformers as there is (apparently) newer stuff that is chip controlled, no idea personally as it’s over 30 years since my layout was used and I don’t know what works with what. We have a bloke in the local market who deals, if you can find similar they may be able to advise.

Lots of gear on eBay too. For engines I’d go older, see if it is upgradable (rolling stock will be fine).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
The program Pepparami refers to is Hornby: A model world. It’s on Yesterday at 8pm on a Thursday. If you watch that you will see why it is so costly.

Excellent, I'll give that a look.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:21 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip controlled has been around since the 80s (I have one in the loft along with fuckloads of track and some engines) and are usually retrofittable to older stock.

The are 3 wires. The positive is removed from the motor and attached to chip and the chip is attached to the motor. Finally the third wire goes to the earth on the engine so the chip is permenantly energised and allows power to the motor when instructed.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Chip controlled has been around since the 80s (I have one in the loft along with fuckloads of track and some engines) and are usually retrofittable to older stock.

The are 3 wires. The positive is removed from the motor and attached to chip and the chip is attached to the motor. Finally the third wire goes to the earth on the engine so the chip is permenantly energised and allows power to the motor when instructed.

So what does the chip do? I'm guessing it means youcan have more thsn one engine on a piece of track?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:22 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The one I have can do 16 at the same time. but you need a fuck load of track space to do that. The rails stay energised permanantly and signals to the chip control the motors.

It's actually 4 wires, power in and out and two to the motor so it can do both directions. Forgot about that.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:39 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say whatever the system you go for, check the price of track. Or see if you can get cheap pattern stuff for it because you'll want plenty of track. I know very little about model railways but I do know my Dad was given a set of 0-gauge rolling stock, controllers etc. Then we tried to get track for it and even enough to make a circle to watch it go round and round would have made your eyes water!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:45 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is quite expensive these days.

I've probably got about £1500 worth in the loft if not more.

It is supposed to be basically permanantly installed.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to love them as a kid.. Also a passover of my father's hobby when he was young.. The Tri-Ang stuff was very experimental with making the hobby more 'fun' and interactive (re mail carriages picking up and dropping mail bags off etc).

Hornby Tri-Ang 'Battlespace' was the most fun for me. Oh the possibilities! Even got the 'Turbo car'. The motor powers the fan at the back and not the wheels. So- no brakes... The speed that thing can turn! Not surprised they are difficult to get considering how much they probably got belted into walls coming off the tracks.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/360/0212/19/triang-battle-space-turbo-car-r752_360_b0e75377473a649ecd048120b0d736c9.jpg

Had a lot of the magazines that my father bought as a kid too. Lots of work went into those paintings/drawings. Later on we started buying American stuff. Still worked on the 00 gauge stuff we had. Good stuff. Would like to go back there again, and yes whilst I have all the trains and tracks etc still, I don't have the time or space.
But I've not messed with the model trains for about 15 years probably.

I also don't have the money Rod Stewart has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin at N gauge it seems a little small for an 8 year old to appreciate. It's also even more expensive than 00 Shocked

I suppose the easiest way is to buy a train set and then expand it rather than individual bits and bobs. Maybe this Harry Potter engine but even reduced is still a lot of money for something that goes round and round. Laughing

https://uk.hornby.com/products/scuffed-packaging-hogwarts-express-train-set-bunhhp13

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:06 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toured their factory in Margate back in about 1982...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 15 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Of all the things I would have put Nobster down as ... a model railway geekazoid would not have been on the list.

Cool

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:40 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course if he's into that kind of thing, you'll need to get yourself your grandson one of those working model traction engines.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:13 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Of course if he's into that kind of thing, you'll need to get yourself your grandson one of those working model traction engines.

I had a Mamod one when I was a kid. Great fun. I might have to get another now you've reminded me.

I've also got a steam engine in my garage to fit in a 14ft ish launch when I get round to it. Probably never knowing me. I love real steam and no need to use the grandkid excuse to buy the stuff!!

My single cylender double acting steam reciprocating engine. Wub

https://i.postimg.cc/fypJTXP2/IMG-1362.jpg

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:04 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ll never fit that into a motorcycle frame Shocked Confused .

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Nah jump straight into stationary engines - a nice Lister or something similar. Thumbs Up

Although a Mamod...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:57 - 16 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mate who makes miniature engines (both steam and otto-cycle) that run a small dynamo via a belt drive which in turn powers up a USB socket. He uses them to charge his mobile phone at bike rallies (and presumably at home).

He could leave the phone on silent because the increased power demand when a call or text was incoming makes the engine rev itself up as the governor takes up the extra load.

If that isn't the kind of thing that would inspire kiddies to get into engineering, I don't know what would.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 18 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned this thread to the senior consort, to see his reaction.
He sounded interested but reckons his thing is more Scalectrix.
So I got a half an hour lecture on that instead.
Terribly interesting though! Cool Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:09 - 18 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

suffice to say there's an absolute sh!tload of youtube content dedicated to this stuff - and it HAS to be better than the stuff you could watch on telly

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
MilfHunter This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chiron is very excellent but where's your Liebherr and where's your big red?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

At 8 N gauge will be a bit small and fiddly. If you want really fiddling try T scale (~1/6th the size of OO!)

OO is easier. Plenty around, and priced roughly the same.

A lot of modern stuff is DCC (ie, chip controlled), rather than plain DC. With DCC the track has something like AC power all the time, but a digital signal is overlayed over this power. The chip picks up the signal and decides if the signal is for it, and if so responds, passing power to the motor - if not it just ignores it. Hence you can independently control multiple locos on the same track. Hornby had Zero 1 around 1980 which was similar in concept, but not compatible, but now plenty of DCC systems that are compatible with each other.

You can retrofit DCC chips to a lot of older locos. Some are very easy, some difficult (eg, the old Mainline / Bachmann split chassis locos, where in effect the 2 halves of the chassis are connected to the track on each side, and sandwich the motor making an electrical connection directly).

In theory DCC can control DC locomotives

Worth building a baseboard to lay the track on. Saves getting dust and much in the motors from running on carpet.

All the best

Katy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2