Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The end of Johnson's lies and the sleaze?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:57 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Although by the time you were ready to eject, the direction the ejector seat fired in relation to the plane was largely academic.

Unless it was a low altitude eject...

Assuming it is the right way up.

Apparently the worst ejection situation is from a low altitude harrier in hover mode. You parachute slowly down into the flaming wreckage of your own aircraft.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Islander wrote:

Unless it was a low altitude eject...

Assuming it is the right way up.

Apparently the worst ejection situation is from a low altitude harrier in hover mode. You parachute slowly down into the flaming wreckage of your own aircraft.

Ouch!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

It was but it was also heavily modified for other nations on their request. The German model was especially bad and was somewhat overburdened with modifications. IIRC the basic design had a dihedral instability that caused the plane to suddenly pitch up under certain climb conditions. That was quickly followed by uncontrolled yaw and roll which caused the plane to tumble and stall. To add to the problems, they rather humorously added a downward firing ejection seat...

That was a feature of very early F-104s, the Germans didn't spec it.

Lockheed did address the problem quite quickly and changed to an upward firing seat, but that was limited to a minimum airspeed in excess of 90 knots, so most of them ended up being retro fitted with Martin Baker zero zero seats.

All of which is very interesting for aviation enthusiasts, but WTF it has to do with Boris Johnson, I have no idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Islander wrote:

It was but it was also heavily modified for other nations on their request. The German model was especially bad and was somewhat overburdened with modifications. IIRC the basic design had a dihedral instability that caused the plane to suddenly pitch up under certain climb conditions. That was quickly followed by uncontrolled yaw and roll which caused the plane to tumble and stall. To add to the problems, they rather humorously added a downward firing ejection seat...

That was a feature of very early F-104s, the Germans didn't spec it.

Lockheed did address the problem quite quickly and changed to an upward firing seat, but that was limited to a minimum airspeed in excess of 90 knots, so most of them ended up being retro fitted with Martin Baker zero zero seats.

I should probably have phrased that better - I knew the downward firing seats were fitted as standard. Interesting that they ended up fitting Martin Baker seats though - I didn't know that Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I should probably have phrased that better - I knew the downward firing seats were fitted as standard. Interesting that they ended up fitting Martin Baker seats though - I didn't know that Thumbs Up

Oh, I see, you're a classic Walt. Explains a lot. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Islander wrote:

Oh, I see, you're a classic Walt. Explains a lot. Laughing

Eh?

More baseless assumptions? Deary me.

I've never claimed to have served in any branch of the military nor would I ever be likely to.

Anything else?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Eh?

I've never claimed to have served in any branch of the military nor would I ever be likely to.

Anything else?

How old are you?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Islander wrote:

Eh?

Anything else?

How old are you?

Well I'm not in my 70s or 80s as you seem to have assumed I am...

Other than that, I'm as old as my gums and a wee bit older than my teeth. Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:25 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Other than that, I'm as old as my gums and a wee bit older than my teeth. Thumbs Up

If you don't want me to assume things about you then how about answering direct questions?

Let me get this straight.

An old fart wants to appear to be a nice guy to his mates on the internet, after disrupting a political discussion and pretending to be an expert on risk management and epidemiology. He drops random names of viral diseases and Acts of Parliament into the discussion. He fucks up a nice conversation, starts talking about drugs and living in the real world (because he imagines, probably because of his avatar, that others think he's a tough old ton-up boy or rocker) then moves to another thread where he starts chatting nonsense about WW2 aircraft. Again, an expert on WW2 aircraft as well...

Whatever stupid cartoons you used to like, well they're probably your only link to the people you think you're impressing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Islander wrote:

If you don't want me to assume things about you then how about answering direct questions?

Let me get this straight.

An old fart wants to appear to be a nice guy to his mates on the internet, after disrupting a political discussion and pretending to be an expert on risk management and epidemiology. He drops random names of viral diseases and Acts of Parliament into the discussion. He fucks up a nice conversation, starts talking about drugs and living in the real world (because he imagines, probably because of his avatar, that others think he's a tough old ton-up boy or rocker) then moves to another thread where he starts chatting nonsense about WW2 aircraft. Again, an expert on WW2 aircraft as well...

Whatever stupid cartoons you used to like, well they're probably your only link to the people you think you're impressing

The Starfighter was a cold war plane...

Between my partner and myself we have: A 1200 bandit, a BMW R850R, a Honda NC23, A Ducati M900, a Ducati M750, a Kawasaji Zephyr 750 and a Honda Hornet. I've been riding bikes since I was 17.

My profession involves risk management and resilience in spades. I'm good at my job. Laughing

Oh and threads on here are open to anyone to comment. Petulant outbursts just make you look silly though. Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:08 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly anyone who says where they work on forums or social media is an idiot.

All it takes is one person at your place of work to be offended and you risk being dragged in and potentially being sacked for bringing your employer into disrepute.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads going off the rails is the finest of BCF traditions! TBH it doesn't matter really what the conversation is about as long as it is a conversation and not a shouting match.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads go off the rails when a forum isn't properly moderated. There is no call or use for personal abuse. Frankly, although Nobby is I'm sure quite nice although like many here not a neurotypical, he's guilty of that too, and it's become a norm here. Pisses me off quite a bit when I see it, because it's so circular. Someone's being a nob and gets personal with another member because the discussion goes above their head. Moderator does nothing. Other guy (in this case me) retaliated with annoyance. Random jump in on the side of the first offender, because it's seen as stronger to be on the attacking side (heavy ground). Then after that the only way to police it if it really gets out of hand is to get a gang together to harass the absolutely incensed party. It happened with that racist guy and others, didn't it. Fuck that BCF tradition where threads get ruined for no reason. How about let's get some moderation instead. Radical idea, I know.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:08 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, one of the moderators doesn't post on here any more because of 'that racist guy'.

Thats why he gets persecuted.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Between my partner and myself we have: A 1200 bandit, a BMW R850R, a Honda NC23, A Ducati M900, a Ducati M750, a Kawasaji Zephyr 750 and a Honda Hornet. I've been riding bikes since I was 17.

My profession involves risk management and resilience in spades. I'm good at my job. Laughing

Oh and threads on here are open to anyone to comment. Petulant outbursts just make you look silly though. Wink

You don't have to answer to others about your personal information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My profession involves risk management and resilience in spades."

Just sounds like a lame attempt to sound authoritative on something he doesn't understand. He doesn't know what risk management is. I hope you realise that. And yes, he's free to duck my questions.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Funnily enough, one of the moderators doesn't post on here any more because of 'that racist guy'.

Thats why he gets persecuted.

It would be better if it was just nipped in the bud by a moderator.
The end result i.e. getting him to piss off, took a very, very long thread, if I recall correctly. It was a huge coordinated effort involving the karma thing and everything else. It just wasted a lot of time. At the root of it, he wanted to look "resilient", everyone else wanted to look "resilient", and the moderator was so "resilient" he wanted to look completely unfazed. The forum's quality went downhill because the rules aren't enforced.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to imply there is some mythical book of rules on how forums are to be run Thinking

What's the problem really? That the forum is chaotic and we should have some order? Well that's one opinion but surely the guy who set up the forum and pays for its running has some input and if that's "let's see what happens with light-touch, low interference..." At the end of the day has anyone died?

Maybe read some Michael Malice just to get a different perspective.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You seem to imply there is some mythical book of rules on how forums are to be run Thinking

You don't get it.

Moderation isn't radical. It's used in all sorts of forums. You're just not used to seeing it here because you think it reflects one's bikeyness and general toughness to let assholery slide. Being an asshole has nothing to do with bikes. The forum already has a "mythical book" and it's called the forum rules. It's just got no teeth because there isn't actually anyone tough or resilient here. Like you, they just want to fit in somewhere. I don't share that desire, although I don't want to be an asshole, especially to some duddery old guy who just wants to be respected. But it's been a big ask, recently. And, for me, it really is a choice

Korn wrote:

Behaving like an idiot for the sake of it
This is not 4chan, it is a bike forum. There is much less moderation here than you might find on similar sites, but there are limits... If you go out of your way to find out where exactly the line is, chances are you'll find yourself on the other side of it signing up for a new username.

Nobody died, but I was repeatedly trolled by an idiot who kept saying stupid shit like "You're a 6th former Laughing " in the midst of a serious discussion. Given your background and your actual participation in that discussion, it amazes me you want to "fit in" with people like that. You know, there are guys in their 60s who live in a little room and dream about WW2 arms and armour. This forum is the only respect they think they've got. And you want to fit in with that?

Riding a bike doesn't make me or anyone else a tough guy matey. You don't have to play along with this shit.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

You don't get it.

Moderation isn't radical. It's used in all sorts of forums. You're just not used to seeing it here because you think it reflects one's bikeyness and general toughness to let assholery slide. Being an asshole has nothing to do with bikes. The forum already has a "mythical book" and it's called the forum rules. It's just got no teeth because there isn't actually anyone tough or resilient here. Like you, they just want to fit in somewhere. I don't share that desire, although I don't want to be an asshole, especially to some duddery old guy who just wants to be respected. But it's been a big ask, recently. And, for me, it really is a choice

You really are a childish, arrogant, egomaniacal twat aren't you? How about you grow up and act like a mature adult rather than a hormonal teenage brat. BCF manages quite well without heavy moderation and has done for years. If you don't like it then piss off to mumsnet or some other place where people will massage your over sensitive ego for you.

Now that's off my chest, normal polite service will be resumed. Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

You really are a childish, arrogant, egomaniacal twat aren't you? How about you grow up and act like a mature adult rather than a hormonal teenage brat. BCF manages quite well without heavy moderation and has done for years. If you don't like it then piss off to mumsnet or some other place where people will massage your over sensitive ego for you.

Ooooh, I really touched a nerve, didn't I? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Islander wrote:

You don't have to answer to others about your personal information.

Aye I know - hence no direct replies to questions about my job, age etc. The information I posted above was just to demonstrate that unfounded assumptions are just that Wink

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Islander wrote:

Ooooh, I really touched a nerve, didn't I? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nope, I just felt like calling it exactly as it is. Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Aye I know - hence no direct replies to questions about my job, age etc. The information I posted above was just to demonstrate that unfounded assumptions are just that Wink

Your own posts reveal you don't know what risk management is. You think it's something to do with crisis response (others are encouraged to look up my post history and his, to see who the fantasist is). But you wanted to be seen as an authority on epidemiology, disease and public policy. I've met a few deluded old nitwits like you. Not very impressed.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Nope, I just felt like calling it exactly as it is. Thumbs Up

Exactly like a petulant child... You never grew up, did you? Do you still smoke? Are you that cool?

Incidentally, I don't think you're very resilient at all... How about that
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17