Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What a difference tyres make

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 19 Dec 2021    Post subject: What a difference tyres make Reply with quote

Finally had the last of the repairs done to the bike (handlebar replaced and both wing mirrors replaced). At the same time had the front and rear sprockets as well as the chain replaced. When doing it the garage said the front brake pads needed changed so it got new ones.

I was complaining in another thread how bad the brakes felt but now they feel so much better it’s incredible.

The biggest difference is in the tyres though. Wow. These Michelin Road 5’s are incredible, I’ve done just over 150 miles on them in the rain and wet now with temperatures hovering around 2 or 3 degrees. They feel so much better than the Bridgestones that were on the bike. I notice it most in cornering, they give me a lot more confidence and I’ve already noticed I lean into corners more now. Really, really happy I took the forums advice on tyres.

Anyway I’m going to wait till I’m done with work tomorrow and wash her down, dry her off and get ACF50 on her.

https://i.imgur.com/oqFq6tZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ljq2wpB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/s4Vb5Wd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/b6erv31.jpg

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 19 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mainly because they are new, the reduction in grip is so gradual as they age you don't notice until it gets really bad towards the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 19 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get a photo of you using the new tyres. Very Happy

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/yy224/struan80/238778545_4204859016246424_215229824177903892_n.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Mate just looking at that pic makes me hurt with anxiety Embarassed

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
struan80 wrote:

Mate just looking at that pic makes me hurt with anxiety Embarassed

If it helps, with 90% of these front end folds, Marquez picks up the bike with his knee, re-sticks the front, and carries on round the track... Shocked And all you need to be able to do it yourself is a reaction time measured in picoseconds.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road 5's are brilliant. Love them on my VFR. Great in the wet and dry. Wait until you get a warm summers day - they're mega sticky on the shoulders.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:33 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t remember what tyres were fitted to the wife’s bike a few years back but she hated them, she had no faith in them at all. I recommended Rosso 3’s to her which she got fitted and what a difference.

If you have no faith in tyres that’s it, if you don’t feel confident then it’s no fun at all. When you can trust the tyres then the fun you can have is superb. Most tyres these days are really good, I used to fit the Rosso 3’s to my bike regardless of what it is but I’ve now went with S22’s and I can’t fault either of them. I’ve done a few track days on both as well and they work well enough to enjoy the day. Absolutely no need for silly track focused tyres on the roads and you won’t ever worry about getting caught out in the rain.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with road 5's. Hot, cold, wet or dry they just work well.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My finger keeps hovering over the "Buy" button on Road 5's for my XSR... but I should be buying new tyres for the wife's car. Life's just not fair Sad

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
My finger keeps hovering over the "Buy" button on Road 5's for my XSR... but I should be buying new tyres for the wife's car. Life's just not fair Sad

Not gonna lie I definitely cheap out on tyres for my car. It’s more to do with the fact my car is only ever 1 expensive MOT away from being scrapped than anything else though.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Can't go wrong with road 5's. Hot, cold, wet or dry they just work well.

Hugely agree. I though PR4s were a major improvement over the Avon Storm 2s that were on the CBR, I only rode 100 yards and they immediately felt amazing. The improvement gained from Road5 over PR4 was not as big, but they're my go to tyre, especially on a commuter bike. For the sake of around £50 a pair extra you'd be daft not to, especially if you ride in the wet.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 23 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Not gonna lie I definitely cheap out on tyres for my car. It’s more to do with the fact my car is only ever 1 expensive MOT away from being scrapped than anything else though.

It's a difficult balance. I find, like with bike tyres, the difference in quality of car tyres becomes more apparent in the wet, especially braking performance. I don't drive that often, but when I do it is often fast country roads, so I try to put half decent rubber on. If I only ever bobbed about in town though I'd probably go with cheaper stuff.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 28 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
It's a difficult balance. I find, like with bike tyres, the difference in quality of car tyres becomes more apparent in the wet, especially braking performance. I don't drive that often, but when I do it is often fast country roads, so I try to put half decent rubber on. If I only ever bobbed about in town though I'd probably go with cheaper stuff.

My car is literally just for when the weather is too shit for the bike (more specifically too shit or dangerous for me to carry my son as pillion) or when I need to transport something that's too big for the top box or can't be lashed to the bike with bungees/ ratchet straps.

All this is going to change though when I get my company car, whenever that is. Since I am not paying for the running, maintenance or fuelling costs of the car then I will use it way more than I use my current car.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1