Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Impound Insurance for motorbikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

youngbiker101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:37 - 19 Dec 2021    Post subject: Impound Insurance for motorbikes Reply with quote

So I was stupid enough to carry a pillion passenger on a CBT - with a helmet...

I now need to pick up my bike from the impound in 14 days, less now, and must have insurance which covers the releases of vehicles from the impound, where can I find this?

Anything would help because if I do not pick it up by the 14th day I will loose my bike and it will be destroyed.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:45 - 19 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just third party insurance. You know, the insurance that you have to have to ride legally in the UK?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:00 - 19 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need your certificate of motor insurance. It's usually emailed to you when you take out the policy. You'll probably need the V5c, your licence and CBT certificate (if they still do those). It'll need L-plates on.

I can't think what legal basis they'd have for impounding it for carrying a pillion. It's an offence of driving outwith the terms of your licence but as soon as the passenger steps off, you're road legal to ride again. Pillion calls a taxi and there's nothing preventing you legally carrying on with your journey... Assuming you were also taxed and insured?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:21 - 19 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I can't think what legal basis they'd have for impounding it for carrying a pillion. It's an offence of driving outwith the terms of your licence but as soon as the passenger steps off, you're road legal to ride again. Pillion calls a taxi and there's nothing preventing you legally carrying on with your journey... Assuming you were also taxed and insured?

This is what I was thinking, pillion was the reason he got tugged, the bike seized due to no insurance. I don't think they'd do it for tax on the spot either.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I don't think they'd do it for tax on the spot either.

They'll sometimes seize them on behalf of the DVLA if they want to stick the knife in, and have the power to do-so.

No kick-backs from the recovery company though so they probably wouldn't bother.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 19 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you tried to run before you could walk.

If you can't afford insurance, you can't afford to ride a bike. Others have the basic right to expect you, as another road user, to have insurance. You're protected by their insurance, and they're protected by yours. That's how it's supposed to work. If you were riding without insurance, you need to sit down and have a rethink, because you're riding for a fall. You make choices in life and face the consequences.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Impound Insurance for motorbikes Reply with quote

youngbiker101 wrote:
I will loose my bike and it will be destroyed.

lose.

So are you saying you had no insurance? Tut tut, youth of today etc etc

Any insurance document that explicitly covers that bike should be good for release. Anything else and you'll probably have a hard time convincing plod that it's actually insured.

Are you the registered keeper of the bike? Is it taxed? If it's not SORN you could be expecting a nice "continuous insurance" letter and fine too ...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this one of those "your insurance doesn't cover pillion passengers therefore you have no insurance" tactics done by the police... the one where they fail to mention your third party insurance is valid regardless?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Is this one of those "your insurance doesn't cover pillion passengers therefore you have no insurance" tactics done by the police... the one where they fail to mention your third party insurance is valid regardless?

Otherwise in accordance with licence, so a red herring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:15 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Otherwise in accordance with licence, so a red herring.

So, althought caselaw says that even if you lied to get insurance and didn't have a licence thrid party still stands and the insurance company has to pay out, you say caselaw is wrong?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's saying that even if the police are wrong about the bike having been ridden uninsured, then (because OP admits they had a passenger when they were stopped) they're right about him driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence. As this is an offence, they were on solid footing when they confiscated the bike, suspecting him of having ridden otherwise than in accordance with a licence. Now that the bike has been impounded, they are also on solid footing when they require to be shown that the bike is insured, before they release it to him.

It would be better if OP gave us the details, as we can only fill in the gaps with likely explanations of what happened, i.e. guesswork. However, he's gone, so it doesn't matter any more.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:14 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as soon as the pillion gets off the reason for seizure ceases to exist.

exactly the same as if someone trolls up with the correct insurance.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, yes.

No doubt there's a lot more to this story than we've been told.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:29 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in about 1988 I got caught riding on the back of my mates moped. He got a fixed penalty of 2 points and 12 quid, I got 9ne of 6 quid and no points cause no helmet.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

So, althought caselaw says that even if you lied to get insurance and didn't have a licence thrid party still stands and the insurance company has to pay out, you say caselaw is wrong?

Yes, my word is the law. So there Rolling Eyes

No, Nobby. I'm saying that the whole 'insurance to cover pillion' part is probably a red herring, since the more important issue would be riding otherwise in accordance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pulled over riding on L plates with a passenger on the back when it was still allowed if they had a full bike licence. My mate was showing me the way to the court as I had jury service the week after. I did jury service the same week I turned 18.

Looking back, when questioned on where I was going, saying "We're going to Snaresbrook Court officer", was probably not the best first answer to give.

My mate had to produce his licence and I had to produce ALL my documents at a police station of our choice in the next 7 days, but they let us carry on to the court with him on the back. No mention was made about my lack of front L plate.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:44 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say, the instant the pilion gets off the bike their grounds to sieze disappear.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:15 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
As I say, the instant the pilion gets off the bike their grounds to sieze disappear.

Plod had seen them riding on a road otherwise in accordance with a licence so the vehicle can be seized.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

As does the riding otherwise in accordance. But if this particular story turns out to be true and there are more facts to come, I'd hazard a guess that's where they went for the seizure, rather than specifically the 'pillion cover' aspect of any insurance cover.

That's all I meant by it.

Aside from all that, this one smells bullshitty.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:06 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The fact he/she had to ask about insurance I'm inclined they didn't have any.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:09 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Plod had seen them riding on a road otherwise in accordance with a licence so the vehicle can be seized.

Unless someone with a license and insurance is there to drive it away. Once the pillion gets off (assuming he had insurance) both conditions are met by the rider.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Impound Insurance for motorbikes Reply with quote

youngbiker101 wrote:
So I was stupid .

sock account troll post is obvious .. Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:32 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Unless someone with a license and insurance is there to drive it away.

No.

https://www.gov.uk/stopped-by-police-while-driving-your-rights/when-the-police-can-seize-your-vehicle

Unlicensed or uninsured vehicle get seized.

"The police can seize a vehicle if they think it’s being used in a way that causes alarm, harassment or distress, for example careless or inconsiderate driving.

They can also seize a vehicle if they think it’s:

being driven by someone who does not have a proper licence or insurance
dangerously, illegally or obstructively parked
broken-down or abandoned"

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:45 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when he arrives at the impound with all the documents he needs and already has they have to hand it over immediately.

The result, the police have expended the time and resources for an outcome they know is pointless.

They wouldn't bother.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 22 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"The police can seize a vehicle if they think it’s being used in a way that causes alarm, harassment or distress, for example careless or inconsiderate driving.

Section 54? I'm certain they have to warn you on at least one instance before seizing the vehicle. There was a fairly public spat by someone with NWP when they got owned after not recording a first warning, then tried seizing a car.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2