Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"It's all about the science"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: "It's all about the science" Reply with quote

An interesting Twitter chat between Fraser Nelson (editor of The Spectator) and Graham Medley (the chair of the Sage modelling committee) which shows Sage making models to fit what they are asked to model!

Clicky

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:50 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. You heard it here first. 12th of the month.
stinkwheel wrote:

The cynic in me thinks they've come up with the predicted deaths figure by using the omicron infection rate and multiplying it by the beta death rate.

Omicron has been in Africa for over a month now.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

His comments confirm the dastardy, dodgy doings.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on the 9th.
I wrote:
I think government decision-making in all areas has become driven by an official opposition which deliberately will not take a constant stance on any matter themselves, and a hostile news media which sees itself, wrongly, as the voice of the people. Consequently the government is risk-averse and every decision has to be moderated by a fear of being wrong or having to U-turn in response to events. If I had to conduct my own job in those circumstances it would be impossible.

The “news” media has lapped up the disaster scenarios and only now decided to ask the questions they should have asked months ago. Gotta find new twists to the story though, especially if it harms the elected government.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t read well, does it? It’s not so much modelling as confirmation bias.

However one angle not mentioned but of possible concern is that regardless of how virulent or deadly omicron is, the more people that are infected by it, the higher the chance of the next mutation - the next variant could be the end game.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:11 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
It doesn’t read well, does it? It’s not so much modelling as confirmation bias.

However one angle not mentioned but of possible concern is that regardless of how virulent or deadly omicron is, the more people that are infected by it, the higher the chance of the next mutation - the next variant could be the end game.

Probably will, but not in the way you are meaning. It'll most likely mutate into just another cold virus (many of which are coronaviruses) as it becomes human adapted. Highly infectious with a low virulence. Omicron might actually be it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year about now there 21,000 covid patients in hospital this year about 7000 how this is being portrayed as hospital overwhelming disaster is ridiculous.
It would help if they weren't antagonising staff into quitting by threatening with vaccine mandates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, can someone remind me what happened to all those emergency COVID hospitals that were set up at great expense to the taxpayer last year? We don't seem to hear anything about them any more.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:27 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Out of curiosity, can someone remind me what happened to all those emergency COVID hospitals that were set up at great expense to the taxpayer last year? We don't seem to hear anything about them any more.

Then one in bristol was used for normal outpatients for a while to assist with distancing.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
the next variant could be the end game.

Sometimes, I hope it bloody is. Maybe everyone will be happy then Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Mothballed. Definitely the right decision to set them up. If covid turned out like the plague and the government did nothing Boris would be burning at the stake right now.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
If covid turned out like the plague and the government did nothing Boris would be burning at the stake right now.

Like I said, sometimes I hope the next one is the bad one - every cloud has a silver lining Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Diggs wrote:
Mothballed. Definitely the right decision to set them up.

But who was ever going to staff them? 'Bed capacity' isn't simply about mattresses and sheets, it's more about medical personnel needed to cover them; and we have nothing like enough of those to man the beds already normally available.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

But who was ever going to staff them? 'Bed capacity' isn't simply about mattresses and sheets, it's more about medical personnel needed to cover them; and we have nothing like enough of those to man the beds already normally available.

I think they were going to bring in military medical staff, weren't they? Whether they would still have had enough depends on how bad things would have got I suppose.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once there is a protocal established, you could quickly train covid techs for treatment of cases in a nightingale hospital who could work under supervision of clinical staff. There are a limited number of things they do with a covid case and a defined limit for when you take each step. If limits are exceeded, you pass it onto clinical staff.

Admit, complete risk assessment. Certain indicators for certain interventions. A lot of routine monitoring. You wound not necessarily need trained clinical staff to do these things. In fact, sometimes technicians are better because they won't fudge results and miss steps.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was supposed to be the military but the lockdowns worked sufficiently well that they weren't mobilised.

All the financial recording systems were put in place to record all the costs of mobilising them but as far as I know, hardly used. Had people volunteer for the task force but they transfered to the relevant department rather than remaining on my books.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Once there is a protocal established, you could quickly train covid techs for treatment of cases in a nightingale hospital who could work under supervision of clinical staff. There are a limited number of things they do with a covid case and a defined limit for when you take each step. If limits are exceeded, you pass it onto clinical staff.

Admit, complete risk assessment. Certain indicators for certain interventions. A lot of routine monitoring. You wound not necessarily need trained clinical staff to do these things. In fact, sometimes technicians are better because they won't fudge results and miss steps.

Like a national draft. Issue call up notices, take people with worthwhile qualifications and give them a week of group training to treat and identify the illness, give the others 2 days and put them in support roles.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:43 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Like a national draft. Issue call up notices, take people with worthwhile qualifications and give them a week of group training to treat and identify the illness, give the others 2 days and put them in support roles.

Or offer them money. Or indeed, ask for volounteers.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:18 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Would you go? I wouldn't. I'm pretty certain they couldn't make me either. I'd sit in a cell before I was forced
into something I didn't want to do. A bit like how I feel about the state injectable. Booster? I'd have to have had
the first and second jabs first. I had covid back in late October/early November. I was pretty damn ill, full set of
common symptoms and a couple of less well known ones. At one point I was too weak to lift a cup of tea to my face
and couldn't even watch tv as I was too sensitive to light. Couldn't eat at all for the first 5 days and was sleeping 20
hours plus a day during the first week. Turns out all I needed were a couple of weeks off work (on full pay) to rest
and I'd estimate that over the fortnight I took about 20 paracetamol. We as a nation are already being led, coerced
and bullied into doing things we don't want to do thank you very much. Some more of that isn't the answer. "You vill
go and treat the sick until you become sick yourself... Or you vill be shot". Yeah, I'll give that a swerve ta.
Besides, I truly don't care that much about the fate of strangers. Not my problem. Nobody came to help me when I was
ill, I had to take care of myself and make my own arrangements to make sure I had groceries and whatnot.

Arguably the state injectable might have spared me a little suffering but let's be honest it wouldn't have
stopped me from catching the bug, nor likely passing it on to however many people I did. I never got my diagnosis and put
under house arrest until about a a week into my illness as I was off on leave that week anyway and was due to return to
work. I then had my first ever covid test then and got the "positive" result about 20 hours later which was enough
for work to refund me my holiday days and bung me on a 10 day isolation. I only got tested to rule it out so I could
figure out what was ailing me. so that I had something to tell them at work. To be absolutely honest, I couldn't wait to get
out of the test centre. The people in there made me sick to my stomach, swaggering around with their clipboards
and masks. I never felt like I was in the care of a medical professional at any point during the process. I asked a number
of health related questions as I went through the test and not a single one was answered with any kind of clarity. Remove
the "Global death panic" giving them an opportunity to cream in £20 an hour for telling you to stuff something up your nose
in a hastily imagined imperative crisis roles and you'd be more likely to see these folk working in a Mcdonalds.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:56 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Yes, in the end a waste of money but if everythinng had gone to ratshit and a few more thousand died.

Horribe nasry conservatives......................

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s going to be interesting to see how the public will react to climate change modelling now they’ve witnessed the same forecasting techniques applied to Covid. Climate change was being lined up as the media’s Next Big Thing until Covid shoved it back down. It’s already got it’s own banner on the BBC News website.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
It’s going to be interesting to see how the public will react to climate change modelling now they’ve witnessed the same forecasting techniques applied to Covid. Climate change was being lined up as the media’s Next Big Thing until Covid shoved it back down. It’s already got it’s own banner on the BBC News website.

Are you saying that the model presented will or won't worry the populace? Surely it all depends upon the result the person paying the statistician wants to portray? Sadly I don't think enough people appreciate this, and are happy therefore to believe the last graph presented to them.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m suggesting they won’t believe the disaster narrative they’re being asked to buy into, and they’ll now have some justification.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:55 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternative view is that it was a case of 'do this or this will happen' and so lockdown happened.

Deaths and infections were dramatically curtailed and this gave a breathing space for a long term solution to be found (vaccination.)

With Omicron variant, the modelling was worse case because, as the scientist said, they didn't know what was going to happen.

As it happens, deaths haven't followed infections this time which is why it doesn't look like there will be a lockdown. It's also why the view that the projections were wrong has been put forward by the same people who made the projections.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it cuts both ways. Demonstrably incorrect predictions that the icecaps or whatever would disappear by 2021 have been used to dismiss the whole thing, when in fact the forecast was probably a worst case scenario. The media won’t have told us that. I’d hope that the public will recognise this in future and want to know the full story.

I was hoping that Covid would bring an age of enlightenment for science in the public eye, but damage has been done in that respect too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4