Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"It's all about the science"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the purpose of amplification?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:20 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
What was the purpose of amplification?

Quite possibly so that you can test the result reliably with a very small sample.

You know, like they do with petri dishes and bacteria? Or is that too difficult and 'magic' for you was well?

(Not you, Jimmy)

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

You are correct sir and it was never meant to be related, but just more info, and I didn't mention Dr Kary Mullis because by now it should be a household name. Anybody that doesn't know about Dr Kary Mullis doesn't really know jack about the subject.

More importantly he says it IS NOT suitable for testing ANYTHING, it is an amplifier of a sample, NOTHING MORE. He developed the AMPLIFYING method during his work in HIV/AIDS.

Read, digest and then step away from the confirmation bias reinforcing fake facts sites:

https://fullfact.org/health/Kary-B-Mullis-quote/

In short, PCR is a gold standard method for testing for the presence of genetic material from a given virus.

In fact, perhaps you should step away from the Internet for a while for the sake of your mental health.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:42 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

More importantly he says it IS NOT suitable for testing ANYTHING, it is an amplifier of a sample, NOTHING MORE. He developed the AMPLIFYING method during his work in HIV/AIDS.

The key point you are missing is that it amplifies only the specific thing you are looking for and can only do that if it is present. So it is a superb technique for finding out if something is there in even very minute quantities which would be otherwise undetectable (like the amount of viral RNA stuck to a nasal swab).

If something is not there, no matter how much you amplify it, it's still not there. No matter how loud I turn up Queens Greatest Hits my stereo, I'm never going to hear Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

I think the inventor pretty much understood how they worked.

It's all stacking up....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfr_8sKD7pc

Sounds like this guy is massively butt hurt and is pushing his own agenda

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/619734/

Quote:
Malone says he deserves credit for more than just sparking hope. He dropped out of graduate school in 1988, just short of his Ph.D., and went to work at a pharmaceutical company called Vical. Now he claims that both the Salk Institute and Vical profited from his work and essentially prevented him from further pursuing his research. (A Salk Institute spokesperson said that nothing in the institute’s records substantiates Malone’s allegations. The biotech company into which Vical was merged, Brickell, did not respond to requests for comment.) To say that Malone remains bitter over this perceived mistreatment doesn’t do justice to his sense of aggrievement. He calls what happened to him “intellectual rape.”

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

Quote:
Malone says he deserves credit for more than just sparking hope. He dropped out of graduate school in 1988, just short of his Ph.D., and went to work at a pharmaceutical company called Vical. Now he claims that both the Salk Institute and Vical profited from his work and essentially prevented him from further pursuing his research. (A Salk Institute spokesperson said that nothing in the institute’s records substantiates Malone’s allegations. The biotech company into which Vical was merged, Brickell, did not respond to requests for comment.) To say that Malone remains bitter over this perceived mistreatment doesn’t do justice to his sense of aggrievement. He calls what happened to him “intellectual rape.”

STEM PhD is basically an opportunity for a University to sell your ideas and 4 years of labour to a private sector company while paying you a little over minimum wage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing's for sure. This debate really isn't about science anymore, if it ever were. What it's about is what do we do with people who disagree with us? Thinking
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
YPVS This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

YPVS wrote:
Islander wrote:
n step away from the confirmation bias reinforcing fake facts sites:

Fullfact? You're new to the Internets aren't you?

https://thecritic.co.uk/how-neutral-is-full-fact/

70% of it's funding is from Google and Zuckerberg and it's mainly staffed by left wing former journos. Sounds like confirmation bias for lefties to me.

Ah, yes, Facebook and Twitter "fact checks" have been caught out pushing opinion as fact, many times lately.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/14/facebook-admits-the-truth-fact-checks-are-really-just-lefty-opinion/

Nonetheless the information is correct. Even if it doesn't fit your own world view/confirmation bias.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Nonetheless the information is correct. Even if it doesn't fit your own world view/confirmation bias.

But what should we DO about him?! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:20 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

YPVS wrote:
Islander wrote:
n step away from the confirmation bias reinforcing fake facts sites:

Fullfact? You're new to the Internets aren't you?

https://thecritic.co.uk/how-neutral-is-full-fact/

70% of it's funding is from Google and Zuckerberg and it's mainly staffed by left wing former journos. Sounds like confirmation bias for lefties to me.

Ah, yes, Facebook and Twitter "fact checks" have been caught out pushing opinion as fact, many times lately.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/14/facebook-admits-the-truth-fact-checks-are-really-just-lefty-opinion/

How many times do you need to be turned black, Donk?

At this rate you'll be more purple than purple aki.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:20 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
about him?! Laughing

Who do you think he's a sock of?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
about him?! Laughing

Who do you think he's a sock of?

I don't have any thoughts on the matter, sorry.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:24 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should sent him to huddersfield.

A bit like sending him to coventry but having a shit football team as well.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go Ste, Nobby can probably help you with the sock question. I've got space that urgently needs staring into Smile

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

How many times do you need to be turned black, Donk?

At this rate you'll be more purple than purple aki.

I did wonder. Time will tell of course...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:07 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time he fucked off for a year. The second time about a month.

I wonder if ste can talk Korn into giving the donk socks a custom title....

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The first time he fucked off for a year. The second time about a month.

I wonder if ste can talk Korn into giving the donk socks a custom title....

Donkerang?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:08 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I favour purple donk

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:10 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the only thing we've got to suggest that it might be Donk is that it called you short.

Seeing as all of your children call you short, I think we should wait for proof that's more conclusive.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:13 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case....

Does anyone have any news about shit flowing through Ashton?

Katie is my friend. I'll fuck over anyone that fucks with my friends, as you know.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
In that case....

Does anyone have any news about shit flowing through Ashton?

Katie is my friend. I'll fuck over anyone that fucks with my friends, as you know.

Bybrook might be closer...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:32 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus is going to get his Donkersley on shortly.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:40 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's busy with his blue micro willy system. Neutral

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:52 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best bit is that Marcus can't run to a mod about being doxed because he'd be admitting he's using a sock account.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 11:05 - 01 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4