Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone else see this as a bad idea???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Anyone else see this as a bad idea??? Reply with quote

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/highway-code-rule-change-giving-22507719

https://i2-prod.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/article22507651.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Screenshot-2021-12-18-at-170140.png

So now you're gonna have to wait for a clueless pedestrian to cross first (almost guaranteed they won't know the new rules and will be stood there waiting for you), and while you're now stopped in the main road there's a much higher likelyhood of you getting slammed by the car behind you.

Either that or (as I've seen a lot in North America), pedestrians will just assume right of way is an invisible shield and will just walk out into the road without looking and get creamed....

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madness, and now pedestrians will have even less motivation to walk the short distance to a pedestrian crossing.

(Kerb, not curb. Honestly the standards of journalism these days.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, forget the first one. Most peds cross the road without looking anyway.

The second is interesting however. as someone who spends more time on a push bike than a powered version.

On one 1/2 mile straight stretch of my commute where the 40mph limit is mostly ignored. Riding close to the nearside puts you in pot-hole and drain grid territory, plus you get the twats that overtake while parallel to a vehicle in the opposite direction which can be quite uncomfortable. Taking up the middle of the lane would be preferable, however it will likely get you subject to much abuse for the car fraternity, hmm..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBF this is mostly how it is in the City with the clueless tourists, both on foot and on Boris' Bikes.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought the first rule was already a thing? Maybe I've been swearing at cars erroneously all these years while in pedestrian-mode.

On the cycle thing, I do get that - I've been side-swiped because someone overtook and cut left on a junction like that. If I rode in "primary" position I'd have likely avoided that situation. More abuse yes, but you know the old saying: "words will never hurt me, but a 2 tonne SUV with squash my noggin" or something like that.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:51 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one has always been a thing. If there isn't anywhere to be safely overtaken I've always moved to the middle of the road to prevent temptation.

The first one seems soewhat pointless. The fact it's only whilst turning onto a minor road means there is less traffic trying to get in or ouit of it.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I actually thought the first rule was already a thing?

I think it sort of was, in the same way steam gives way to sail, but both parties exercised common sense. Now it’ll be like “FU, it’s specific in the Highway Code!”

“Dominate your road position for safety” was always a cycling thing, but I’d be making good progress with the traffic flow, not crawling.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace said grey car with
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqXU0mrrouLmiWXcqkdiHpUQewKJPetHIl-w&usqp=CAU
and they may be less inclined to lane hog.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine how impossible the Wolf Simpson types are going to be now!

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:12 - 20 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does also say:

Quote:
Be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It does also say:

Quote:
Be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so.

It does, but it's probably one of the most ignored parts of the HC; how often do you see caravans or tractors pulling over? In fairness, I can think of a few instances of the latter, but never the former.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

It does, but it's probably one of the most ignored parts of the HC; how often do you see caravans or tractors pulling over? In fairness, I can think of a few instances of the latter, but never the former.

Must be nice being a caravan driver.... You always have a nice quiet open road in front of you, just ignore the queue behind you.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:52 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Although by defining what is considerate it does now give a working legal-esque definition of what constitutes inconsiderate.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

Must be nice being a caravan driver.... You always have a nice quiet open road in front of you, just ignore the queue behind you.

Indeed. I once hitched a lift in a 44T artic with work - the view out of the cab in that thing was very impressive; that combined with the empty road ahead . . .

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:29 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I actually thought the first rule was already a thing? Maybe I've been swearing at cars erroneously all these years while in pedestrian-mode.

It is
“Turning into a junction
Ever seen a driver turning into a junction and beep at a pedestrian crossing the road? The Highway Code states that If someone has started crossing the road and you want to turn into the road, then the pedestrian has priority, so you should slow down and give way until they’ve crossed.”

I suspect the subtle difference is ‘started’, where previously if you were approaching a junction and a pedestrian actually checked if you were approaching they should stop and wait for you. Now they can leap into the road while their nose is in their ‘phone, causing you to jam on your brakes and get rear-ended and still claim right of way. ‘cos dey is vunnerable, innit?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is barking mad. We'll get pedestrians stepping out and getting squashed, and the driver/rider will get the blame.

The second one is what sensible push-bikers do nowadays, and rightly so. When I used to ride a push-bike, I'd sit further out than many drivers liked for the same reasons I used to tell people when I used to do CBT training:

1. If you are slow but far out, people will think about overtaking you rather than simply going past and forcing you into the gutter.

2. If you ride out, you aren't in the gutter and the carriageway is less pot-holed and covered in shite.

3. If you ride out, you have that extra split second to react if anything jumps into the road.

4. If you ride out, you can move laterally so people pulling out of junctions ahead of you can see you coming.

Own your road-space and live!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:58 - 21 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
The first one is barking mad. We'll get pedestrians stepping out and getting squashed, and the driver/rider will get the blame.

The second one is what sensible push-bikers do nowadays, and rightly so. When I used to ride a push-bike, I'd sit further out than many drivers liked for the same reasons I used to tell people when I used to do CBT training:

1. If you are slow but far out, people will think about overtaking you rather than simply going past and forcing you into the gutter.

2. If you ride out, you aren't in the gutter and the carriageway is less pot-holed and covered in shite.

3. If you ride out, you have that extra split second to react if anything jumps into the road.

4. If you ride out, you can move laterally so people pulling out of junctions ahead of you can see you coming.

Own your road-space and live!

Also drain covers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1