Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Struggling with contentment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to have a think about this, cos in general I am easily pleased and unambitious, so contentment per se has always seemed to come easily, and then something else eventually presents itself to entertain myself with.

OP does raise some interesting things that I never make the time to assess within myself, so I tend to operate on a fairly shallow level.

But ... contentment vs discontent Thinking ... that may be where a lot of my so-called problems arise Laughing

I shall return to this subject in due course.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I shall return to this subject in due course.

Trembling with anticipation, and perhaps a little trepidation! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:23 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4x main subconscious character traits. They are :

1. Dominant
2. Submissive
3. Friendly
4. Hostile

If you can imagine that your 'persona' is made up out of a percentage of each of these traits, then you might be able to recognise yourself & maybe how others perceive you.

Let me attempt to explain :

Someone who is mostly dominant & friendly is the leader of the gang that you're in. Being mostly dominant & friendly doesn't mean that persona cannot be hostile & submissive, it just means that they are mostly dominant & mostly friendly, otherwise they'd never make leader of the gang status.

Someone who is mostly hostile & submissive is best described as "Billy No Mates", basically 'cos no one in their right mind wants to be with them, not even other hostile submissive's . . . .

Then we have the mostly dominant & hostile. How does that work then? It works incredibly well, as people who are mostly dominant & hostile make up the majority of successful entrepreneurs . . .

If you get my drift so far then I have no doubt that you will most likely want to place yourself firmly in the submissive & friendly camp. Don't worry about it because this is what approx 80% of us think we are, when in reality the alternative reality that is BCF is mostly populated by hostile submissives . . . .

Look deep inside yourselve's folks. Peel back the layers of what you "think" is your reality. If your life is shit, it is because YOU are shit.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moth wrote:

Look deep inside yourselve's folks. Peel back the layers of what you "think" is your reality.

Uh-oh, I'm out! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:27 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moth wrote:
There are 4x main subconscious character traits. They are :

1. Dominant
2. Submissive
3. Friendly
4. Hostile

If you can imagine that your 'persona' is made up out of a percentage of each of these traits, then you might be able to recognise yourself & maybe how others perceive you.

Let me attempt to explain :

Someone who is mostly dominant & friendly is the leader of the gang that you're in. Being mostly dominant & friendly doesn't mean that persona cannot be hostile & submissive, it just means that they are mostly dominant & mostly friendly, otherwise they'd never make leader of the gang status.

Someone who is mostly hostile & submissive is best described as "Billy No Mates", basically 'cos no one in their right mind wants to be with them, not even other hostile submissive's . . . .

Then we have the mostly dominant & hostile. How does that work then? It works incredibly well, as people who are mostly dominant & hostile make up the majority of successful entrepreneurs . . .

If you get my drift so far then I have no doubt that you will most likely want to place yourself firmly in the submissive & friendly camp. Don't worry about it because this is what approx 80% of us think we are, when in reality the alternative reality that is BCF is mostly populated by hostile submissives . . . .

Look deep inside yourselve's folks. Peel back the layers of what you "think" is your reality. If your life is shit, it is because YOU are shit.

This is bollocks.

It's not that straightforward.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moth wrote:

Mumbo jumbo

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, what so-called self-help book did you steal that from?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, see ... I'd specify myself as dominant and friendly.
But I don't have a pack, so I don't see myself as a leader.
Just an overopinionated know-it-all.
Wink Thumbs Up

... and yes, those other two sides occasionally do crop up Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilfHunter wrote:
Make a TikTok
.... That's what the cool kids tedious boomers seem to be doing nowadays.

FTFY

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

To be happy, you need to be at peace and at ease with yourself and no one else. Once you get your head around that, the rest will follow.

I'm constantly mortified that there are so many people who haven't arrived at that stage.

Somehow or another, I managed to instil a MASSIVE amount of self-belief at a very early age, and its kept me on-course in terms of coping with life and staying reasonably cheerful.

I think the difficult thing to get your head round is that there is no "happy ever after", and try not to hate yourself for propagating that myth to other people before you realise it.

Once you learn to cope with that, happiness is wherever you find it. You have to work a bit at finding it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:26 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I developed a lot of contentment by taking loads of drugs and having a good time. There seems to be a lot in favour of halucinogenics and combating depression.

My life from about 12-21 was a bit shit, btw.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect quite a lot of people have a similar experience, Nobster.
I certainly did.
Got to box it up and put it away.
Using it for an excuse to not live "your best life" is for losers.

https://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvymm1mDeW1qjirrjo1_400.gif

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:17 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

This is bollocks.

It's not that straightforward.

No, it's not that straightforward. For one it doesn't cover introvert & extrovert. But I don't have time to write it all out even if you have the time to read it.

If you care to expand on what makes up a persona then please do. You could start with how most people can "sense" a persons whole character within minutes of meeting them, yet have no knowledge of, or training in just how to do that.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I developed a lot of contentment by taking loads of drugs and having a good time. There seems to be a lot in favour of halucinogenics and combating depression.

It's definitely a fun way to pass the time.
There really is little point in being miserable.

Accept that life is a bit more shit than you were led to believe
And start doing more of what makes you happy,

Not that I'm a hippy or anything Shifty

The reason that I am sitting here with incense and cats, wearing a plastic gold crown and black leather fingerless gloves*, eating sweetened yoghurt and listening to the Prodigy whilst stoned off my box is directly relevant to the fact that I currently appear to be extremely happy, despite the several recent difficulties my life has thrown at me.

It could be worse, we could all be living under a box in Finsbury Park tube station.

*emergency retail therapy, Clare's Accessories

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:26 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer to that is 'you can't.

People are too complicated to categorise.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moth wrote:

No, it's not that straightforward. For one it doesn't cover introvert & extrovert. But I don't have time to write it all out even if you have the time to read it.

If you care to expand on what makes up a persona then please do. You could start with how most people can "sense" a persons whole character within minutes of meeting them, yet have no knowledge of, or training in just how to do that.

Its funny how the Moth turns up quite a lot in modern culture.
There's Mothra, of which I was terrified as a teenager.
And Silence of the Lambs brought moths back into public approval too.
I read a book once, called The Behaviour of Moths, about two sisters who struggled in their relationship, it was terribly good - are you related to either of them?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The simple answer to that is 'you can't.

People are too complicated to categorise.

I disagree.
I think there are certain "types", possibly not more than 20 - but that their life experience is what makes them different.

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:50 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Its funny how the Moth turns up quite a lot in modern culture.
There's Mothra, of which I was terrified as a teenager.
And Silence of the Lambs brought moths back into public approval too.
I read a book once, called The Behaviour of Moths, about two sisters who struggled in their relationship, it was terribly good - are you related to either of them?

Moth is just one of the names I go by.

I move in wide & varied circles & it is important to me that my dope smokin' hippy friends down the folk club on Thurs nights don't confuse me with the ultra sharp mind that attends the gun club on Sunday morns.

The small circle that knows me as Moth includes a dope smokin' hippy down the gun club who is known only as "Spider".

I know why he's called Spider & he knows why I'm called Moth.

This is all that matters.

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:55 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

The reason that I am sitting here with incense and cats, wearing a plastic gold crown and black leather fingerless gloves*, eating sweetened yoghurt and listening to the Prodigy whilst stoned off my box is directly relevant to the fact that I currently appear to be extremely happ

Cats are awesome substitutes for human friends.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My human friends are giving me the gyp at present.
They crave my company, but I do not wish for life to become more complicated than it already is.
So its easier (for me) if I spend some me-time indoors being girlie.

I would actually like to be dancing to Play that Funky Music and drinking gin, but for the sake of standards, I will forego that pleasure until another time.

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:26 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I would actually like to be dancing to Play that Funky Music and drinking gin, but for the sake of standards, I will forego that pleasure until another time.

Forgive me for getting all personal, but are you the cause of the turmoil in their lives, or are they the cause of turmoil in yours?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
I am the cause of turmoil in my own life,
Of that, I have no doubt whatsoever.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moth wrote:
hellkat wrote:

Forgive me for getting all personal, but are you the cause of the turmoil in their lives, or are they the cause of turmoil in yours?

Interesting question from a creature that goes around and around a light bulb battering its own brains out and singeing its wings in a fruitless, interminable loop of fatuous,ignorant, self-deluded madness. Yet you dare to question our beloved Queen Hellkat.

Away with you rogue, for I have mothballs in my pocket and camphor in my veins..|.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Laughing Laughing
I am the cause of turmoil in my own life,
Of that, I have no doubt whatsoever.

And as said earlier, as long as you're the boss of that it's fine. Being your own drama llama is not a problem. It's the others you don't need or want wandering in and eating the flowers / shitting on the grass.

Have a bit of SlipNOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqcXgODTeOU

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only testable aspect of a person is IQ everything else can be talked about but is very hard to accurately quantify. AFAIK these are agreeableness, conscientiousness, extraversion, neuroticism and openness to experience. So one could be an extrovert, an introvert or somewhere in between but one wouldn't normally be both at once.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4