BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gilera DNA wont start

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

TomH05
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:02 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will take a look at connections tomorrow.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 31 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmeh made some interesting points regarding the fuel lines in this thread from 2013.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=187045

It sounds like you managed to prime part of the system enough to get a few minutes of running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 15 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom

There are a few known problems with these. The crank seals often die which will necessitate a bottom end rebuild and one symptom of this would be the previous owner setting the idle really high to keep it running.

I'm hoping it isn't this as although the parts are cheap it isn't cheap labour wise. Considering the age of the bike the seals may well have hardened, this is likely if the bike was left unused for a few months of more but I would keep this as the last place to look.

Check for a spark first with the plug on the head as already said and get back to us. Good luck Thumbs Up

TomH05 wrote:
just put a new spark plug in and jump started the bike and it was running for a minute or two then cut out.

That is a symptom of either a fuel problem or Crank seals.

TomH05 wrote:
now when i pull the brake in to press the starter button the dashboard turns off. the petrol light and oil light flash on and off but it has fuel and oil.

That suggests a low battery. DNA 50's had a tiny battery that was easy to run flat.

I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) it doesn't have a vacuum tap, the tap should be free flowing if you remove the fuel hose. Can't remember seeing a 2 stroke with a vacuum tap.

Does the cold start module/Auto choke in the carb still work? these often fail on many scooters and will make it almost impossible to start and again a symptom of this would be an idle set too high.

TomH05
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:58 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn’t realise that I had another response. Sadly, it looks as though you’re right, sickpup ☹️ I had it collected by a local bike mechanic and he said, “It’s the crank shaft, main bearing, etc” and has quoted £300-£500 to sort. Does that sound about right?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2