Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HDCP Bypass (NOT for illegal copying)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: HDCP Bypass (NOT for illegal copying) Reply with quote

Hi guys, hoping someone in here can help?

I'm currently using OBS to capture some content off certain streaming services on the PC to make some videos with Shotcut (random short videos of some of my favourite scenes from TV shows and movies, montages, silly video memes to send to friends on WhatsApp, tutorials and random stuff to upload to YouTube etc.).

Works great in most cases.

However when it comes to trying to capture stuff off of certain streaming services it gets a bit quirky.

If I load Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video (basically anything web browser based) all I get is a black screen when using Chrome.

Although it will record the audio, I just get a black box where the video should be.

However using Firefox does allow me to capture the video as well, so that's what I've been doing when I need to capture from these sources.

So clearly there must be something in Firefox that is blocking the HDCP and allowing the content to be played while it's being captured that isn't the case in Chrome???

However some streaming services (like Now TV for example) use their own program to view the content through, rather than using a web browser. These programs block the video the same as Chrome so there's currently no way for me to capture the video from these sources.

I have been thinking of getting a capture card to bypass this however having viewed the following video I'm not sure this will solve my problem on its own:

https://youtu.be/-pBPb15ykCI

Looks like getting a capture card on its own would not be able to bypass the HDCP?

Looking at the following video, looks like I need an HDMI splitter in order to bypass the HDCP:

https://youtu.be/_SbaPvL4Wjc

However, shopping for a splitter I'm somewhat confused!

Some are active, some are not.

Some say they are switches, others say the are splitters.

Some say the are reversible, some are not.

Some are HDMI 2.1, some are 2.0, some are 1.4.

Some are HDCP 2.1, some are unspecified.

Some say they bypass HDCP, some say the do not, some do not specify.

Some are £5, others are over £100.

Can anyone help?

Am I on the right track to the simplest and most cost effective way to capture HDCP content?

If so, what exactly do I need to be looking for in a splitter.

Also, looking towards the capture card, I'm looking at getting an Elgato 4K60 Pro but not sure if this would be overkill for my usecase?

To be clear, I AM NOT LOOKING TO REPRODUCE COMPLETE MOVIES OR TV EPISODES or do anything illegal. I simply want to capture and record short bursts from streaming services to make very short videos of montages/highlights/memes etc.

Thanks in advance!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably can't record it as the video is going straight via the GPU. If you tell your browser not to use hardware acceleration maybe that would help?

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:04 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just like you, 20 years back. DVD TO VHS, DVD TO VCD OR SVCD OR DIVX.

Macrovision, OnDigital.

Can't be bothered, I'm totally legit.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: HDCP Bypass (NOT for illegal copying) Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
To be clear, I AM NOT LOOKING TO REPRODUCE COMPLETE MOVIES OR TV EPISODES or do anything illegal. I simply want to capture and record short bursts from streaming services to make very short videos of montages/highlights/memes etc.

To be clearer, what you are proposing is still copyright theft and is still illegal. Obviously it’s one of those “not really illegal” illegals, a “victimless crime”, “everybody does it” etc but you could still be pursued for it, should the copyright owner notice, care and act.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:09 - 01 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
I was just like you, 20 years back. DVD TO VHS, DVD TO VCD OR SVCD OR DIVX.

Doom9 used to be the answer the everything. Mr. Green

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:43 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: HDCP Bypass (NOT for illegal copying) Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:

To be clearer, what you are proposing is still copyright theft and is still illegal. Obviously it’s one of those “not really illegal” illegals, a “victimless crime”, “everybody does it” etc but you could still be pursued for it, should the copyright owner notice, care and act.

I could be wrong (I was once) but I don't think this would count. Recording the whole movie and reproducing it would clearly be in breach of copyright. But short clips? I don't think so. Could be in breach of the user agreement with Netflix/Amazon Prime or whatever but they'd never know the source of the footage. Begs the question how do any of the YouTube channels who do "top 10s" and stuff like that get hold of their footage? The channel 'Movie Clips' for example. They're clearly getting it from somewhere...

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBS isn't 100% bug free IMHO. You might be imagining the problem is related to encryption.

Have you tried VLC to capture the video?

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:36 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: HDCP Bypass (NOT for illegal copying) Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:

They aren't stealing anything,they are allowed to do this and those monitors were sold unwittingly to customers who didn't know about this tech. So these companies can Middle Finger Middle Finger especially with them revising and revoking episodes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1