Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommendations for frame paint

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:26 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Recommendations for frame paint Reply with quote

I need to touch up quite a few areas on the frame and swingarm of my GPZ. Ideally something that doesn't come off after a year of use. It's not worth a full blasting and powder coating (the bike won't last long enough to justify the cost or effort).

In the past i've used black halfords primer and then the hammerite black gloss, no lacquer or clear layer. That hasn't worked out well, i think because the hammerite is shit.

Grateful for any brands/combinations that have worked for you?

Cheers

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:32 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammerite is shit?

Probably more a case you didn't prepare the surface in the first place. You can't just paint over rust.

if you've removed or treated the rust and got rid of all loose paint you won't need a primer or undercoat with hammerite.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:36 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No all the rust was gone but it might have been the combo of primer + hammerite 'direct to rust' if the latter isn't designed to work with a primer?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for frame paint Reply with quote

dn38416 wrote:
i've used black halfords primer and then the hammerite black gloss, no lacquer or clear layer. That hasn't worked out well

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
if you've removed or treated the rust and got rid of all loose paint you won't need a primer or undercoat with hammerite.

Isn't it more a case of if you use the wrong primer/undercoat for Hammerite (as opposed to using nothing at all) it won't work properly (I'm looking at you, Black Halfords Primer)?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:18 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammerite takes weeks to go off properly.

Try an alkyd resin machine enamel. It's what they paint old machine tools like lathes and old farm machinery with. It's also what they used to paint the frames of those old 1950's Brit bikes you see going about looking totally hanging but still with the original paint on the frame.

I did the frame of my Trials bike with it.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWeOc_Hv7WtkxbFL-3L-gBpF5miAn5rrTSNmlqnsJy2H7Cs82XohqPArmcnaGs1o7lXMQvh2FUFna7Dn9j6I1M_H7UofHIYfKjZXSsO9mnNUfOwFdorMrKTcZkZWyi6ge8I4QK_mGDR5aSR7ZS_gAYV=w1292-h969-no

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I touched up half* the rust on my XSR swing arm. Scrubbed off the loose rust, treated the rest with some Bilt Hamber and then Hammerite over that. Held up for a year so far.

*There's a spot I'll get to when I next take the back wheel off.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus..

Hammerite ain't what it used to be.. more like ordinary exterior gloss paint these days.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Try an alkyd resin machine enamel.

+1 Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:18 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Try an alkyd resin machine enamel. It's what they paint old machine tools like lathes and old farm machinery with. It's also what they used to paint the frames of those old 1950's Brit bikes you see going about looking totally hanging but still with the original paint on the frame.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWeOc_Hv7WtkxbFL-3L-gBpF5miAn5rrTSNmlqnsJy2H7Cs82XohqPArmcnaGs1o7lXMQvh2FUFna7Dn9j6I1M_H7UofHIYfKjZXSsO9mnNUfOwFdorMrKTcZkZWyi6ge8I4QK_mGDR5aSR7ZS_gAYV=w1292-h969-no

For reference, I used paintmaster "skip paint" (yeah, well what takes more of a hammering than a skip does?). Went on nicely with a spray gun, needs thinning a fair bit to brush on if you want to avoid brush marks. But I did do the tank with a brush. You can see it's brush painted but it's not too shonky. Would probably have been better if I had more patience with sanding between coats.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLVLfbJIbqIAkD-0WXFRY91Womm7hEJ2BAp5r0ZVwmM6XcUOVhhgc6jAc6MffZ-1jtA6OMZ__Qodqjfx-A2rjQ1xmYmvPBCqLbKArUtGO8lWWRT_x6AwTQpem0zBgb-GCtbOkX8C-XeDkp0NQARlTIAV=w499-h886-no

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for frame paint Reply with quote

dn38416 wrote:
I need to touch up quite a few areas on the frame and swingarm of my GPZ. Ideally something that doesn't come off after a year of use. It's not worth a full blasting and powder coating (the bike won't last long enough to justify the cost or effort).

In the past i've used black halfords primer and then the hammerite black gloss, no lacquer or clear layer. That hasn't worked out well, i think because the hammerite is shit.

Grateful for any brands/combinations that have worked for you?

Cheers

Don't do it - it will look touched up even if you get a good paint.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:20 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just fart black underseal over the whole thing. Shifty

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 29 Dec 2021    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for frame paint Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
dn38416 wrote:
i've used black halfords primer and then the hammerite black gloss, no lacquer or clear layer. That hasn't worked out well

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Isn't it more a case of if you use the wrong primer/undercoat for Hammerite (as opposed to using nothing at all) it won't work properly (I'm looking at you, Black Halfords Primer)?

This.

One of my first threads on here was a log of a refurb I did on a Superdream, where I put a finish on various rusty bits using Smoothrite, all I did was scuff up the surface with 80 grit paper and then paint straight over it; I think it spent a couple of years sitting outside before I moved it on, still looked the same as when I first did it.

That was over 10 years ago and the chemical makeup of Hammerite may have changed, but that was/is always it's USP, remove any loose paint and rust and then slap it on, no primer or lacquer necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
plus..

Hammerite ain't what it used to be.. more like ordinary exterior gloss paint these days.

For sure...

It used to be rubbery.

Now it's like plastic. Not only that but this modern stuff is an irritant if it gets on your skin. The old stuff never used to bother me. I had to wear gloves last time I used hammerite otherwise the stuff'd itch my temper.

Avoid the hell out of the roll-on hammerite, that stuff's like water.

It's not total crap. It does work. But I'm not sure it's my go-to paint anymore.

I've been thinking of a zinc oxide look lately. Maybe making my bike look like a derelict tractor. (Also another way to prevent theft)

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:50 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thanks guys much appreciated. I think it'll have to be underseal for the swingarm.

The bilt hamber electrox looks good so i might use that on other bits of the frame and a basic top coat over that.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

is that donnie darko dvd blue ray?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

dn38416 wrote:
Brilliant, thanks guys much appreciated. I think it'll have to be underseal for the swingarm.

The bilt hamber electrox looks good so i might use that on other bits of the frame and a basic top coat over that.

Been using electrox on my car and it's really good stuff. I'm painting the frame on my CCM in a few months and I'll probably use that unless I get it powder coated instead.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:38 - 30 Dec 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

is that donnie darko dvd blue ray?

Nope. Step-up dvd player.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1