Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1st Bike (Honda CBF 600)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:55 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: 1st Bike (Honda CBF 600) Reply with quote

I finally pulled the trigger, after getting my A licence in November I didnt want to leave it too long to get a bike so I finally got a Honda CBF600 Fuel injection with ABS.

The 40 mile ride to take her home was scary but also exciting (even a frikking car overtook me at one point Embarassed I shall return the favor soon Smile )

question:

other than changing oil and oil filter, what else do I need to sort to begin with? Is there "how to" tutorials section for this bike in the forum?

Thanks

Last edited by Abaaba on 23:25 - 03 Jan 2022; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:37 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

get yourself a Haynes manual for your model of bike.
it will give you clear instructions on what items to service/check and at which intervals.

plus its always handy to have a reference to check before doing any work.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: 1st Bike (Honda CBF 600) Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
I finally pulled the trigger, after getting my A licence in November I didnt want to leave it too long to get a bike so I finally got a Honda CBF600 Fuel injection with ABS.

The 40 mile ride to take her home was scary but also exciting (even a frikking car overtook me at one point Embarassed I shall return the favor soon Smile )

question:

other than changing oil and oil filter, what else do I need to sort to begin with? Is there "how to" tutorials section for this bike in the forum?

Thanks

clean, tension and oil chain (easy to go too tight esp. if you're not feeling the movement with someone sat on it cos that increases wheel base length slightly, therefore takes a bit of slack out of chain), check tyres (wear and PSI). Got any paperwork? What's bike's mileage? Does it need and has it had first valve check?

Other than that, not a lot. It's a modern Japanese bike, after all.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take a look in the owners manual as it'll have the scheduling for each bit of servicing. I'd do oil/brake fluid/coolant regardless cos I like knowing everything is done (and it's a good way to get to know the new bike and give it a good look over at the same time for any potential issues). Other than that there's not a lot you need to do other than the stuff already mentioned.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:37 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years of experience has taught me to do, or at least inspect everything involved in a major service when I buy a second hand bike because there is absolutely no garauntee it has been done by the previous owner. Regardless of what they say has been done. Even if they are a motorcycle dealer and it has a fully stampoed up service log.

At a minuimum, I'd change all the fluids and filters, inspect all the moving parts (in detail) and lube/replace as necessary, check all the electrics are working. have a good look at the battery, how it's connected, how old it is. Check the tyres, look at the date code, check the brake pad and sprocket wear.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or (and at risk of loosing man-points), have a look at its service history, and if it is due one, take it in and have it done. That will leave you with thousands of miles to learn how to look after it yourself.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:13 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Years of experience has taught me to do, or at least inspect everything involved in a major service when I buy a second hand bike because there is absolutely no garauntee it has been done by the previous owner. Regardless of what they say has been done. Even if they are a motorcycle dealer and it has a fully stampoed up service log.

At a minuimum, I'd change all the fluids and filters, inspect all the moving parts (in detail) and lube/replace as necessary, check all the electrics are working. have a good look at the battery, how it's connected, how old it is. Check the tyres, look at the date code, check the brake pad and sprocket wear.

Very true, my CB125F came with a fully stamped Honda dealer service book, the chain and sprockets were shot, headlight beam too low, fork yokes misaligned and the valve clearances were the wrong way round

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new bike mate. Do you have any photos?

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:17 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and good pick for a first bike!

Ontop of what others have said, some ACF50 to keep it shiny Thumbs Up

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:26 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Congratulations on your new bike mate. Do you have any photos?

I have but somehow it is not letting me upload it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:42 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

At a minimum, I'd change all the fluids and filters, inspect all the moving parts (in detail) and lube/replace as necessary, check all the electrics are working. have a good look at the battery, how it's connected, how old it is. Check the tyres, look at the date code, check the brake pad and sprocket wear.

I can probably manage changing the fluids but for the rest, I will get the Haynes manual before I touch them

I am comfortable fixing (DIY) cars but never touched a bike, but this being my first baby, I don't want to wreck it whilst tinkering with it - priority is to ride the thing this spring/summer and put some miles on it - I might even get a nonrunner bike just to practice taking it apart and put it together Smile

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:45 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
...or (and at risk of loosing man-points), have a look at its service history, and if it is due one, take it in and have it done. That will leave you with thousands of miles to learn how to look after it yourself.

This is something I also considered - The bike wont be used much till spring so not in a rush at the moment.

would you recommend taking to Honda dealers or any motorbike/mot garage?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I am too lazy and inadequate to spend time fiddling with bikes, just like to ride them. Find a trusted confident mechanic. Getting your hands dirty just messes up your grips.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:

I can probably manage changing the fluids but for the rest, I will get the Haynes manual before I touch them

I am comfortable fixing (DIY) cars but never touched a bike, but this being my first baby, I don't want to wreck it whilst tinkering with it - priority is to ride the thing this spring/summer and put some miles on it - I might even get a nonrunner bike just to practice taking it apart and put it together Smile

Bikes are far easier to work on than cars. Everything is generally more accessible and for the most part relatively simple. You might find the service manual online for free with a bit of googling; I found the one for my old ER5 when I had it for free and it covered pretty much everything you could ever need to do, plus useful info like torque values for the bolts etc..

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would you recommend taking to Honda dealers or any motorbike/mot garage?

I'd ask around to see where local people go. Main Dealer servicing is usually very expensive and the preserve of those wanting to maintain a fully stamped service book. I'd find a local bike shop that comes recommended, and ask that they detail all work done on your receipt. That way you know where you stand...

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:49 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a haynes manual and start slow. Read the parts for adjust the chain tension, tyre pressures etc. From there you can gradually progress to doing more and more of the servicing yourself and learn how it all works.

Jay1000RR
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:39 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great choice of first bike, now go and enjoy it.

ride in all conditions as this will make you understand your bike more and make you a better rider.
But be safe.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be said, that is a great choice of first bike. Better than starting off with a GSXR you keep in the garage all the time, and thinking you're Valentino Rossi, in the hope of impressing neighbourhood kids. The choice of first bike says a lot about someone. That's the sort of bike you choose with your brain.

Just to add, if you're going to be servicing your bike, get all the information and tools you need first, before touching it. Torque specs especially. The last thing you want to do is try to change your oil and then strip the threads in an oil drainage hole because you overtightened the bolt. Service jobs are very simple but you still have to be careful.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:18 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a reasonable quality torque wrench and a haynes manual before attempting any DIY - especially an oil change. Check the Facebook group for that model as well as IIRC they have some of the service manual uploaded there.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch how to videos on youtube. things are a lot easier after youve seen someone else do it. you can often pick up some good tips too.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:24 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Gotta be said, that is a great choice of first bike. Better than starting off with a GSXR you keep in the garage all the time, and thinking you're Valentino Rossi, in the hope of impressing neighbourhood kids. The choice of first bike says a lot about someone. That's the sort of bike you choose with your brain.

I know some people say it is boring/dull but that is exactly why I chose it lol - I wanted something that is forgiving for newcomer so I can learn my roadcraft, something that doesn't scare the living day out of me, easy to ride and comfy...........This bike ticked all of that boxes.

There will be plenty of time to own and try every motorbike possible but it is not now, remember the saying"pick your battles" Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1