Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do I make a claim against the council for road condition

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:22 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: How do I make a claim against the council for road condition Reply with quote

So I just got back home from my 150 mile trip... A couple of miles away from my place I hit an unavoidable patch of mud on the road. The bike instantly went out from under me. And I went down hard...

Im mostly ok. A little road rash and a rather brushed leg, As it twisted under the bike, could have been A LOT worse.

But I have damages I feel the council should pay for as I've been complaining about the roads in this area for years. From tons of loose gravel pot holes and compacted mud everywhere.

They never seem to do anything about it. And now that has caused me to come off...

My helmet is fucked needs replacing. My biker jacket and trousers are damaged (scuffs and rips) my fairing is VERY damaged, and indicators broken.

All in all if I'm to repair and replace the broken stuff I'm looking at several hundred quid, if I do everything on the cheap.

So whats the correct way to go after the council? I know they have a duty to keep the roads in a safe to use state. But theyve been neglecting it badly here for years. So I must do something.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:52 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor obs.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Country mud or city mud?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:58 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Country mud or city mud?

Country, but its not temporary mud. Ive been complaining about the council not cleaning up the roads here for years. Sometimes there's years worth of mud compacted in areas.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped that would prompt the type of road/area. Are we talking the middle of Bury St Edmunds, a small village like one of the Fornhams, a single track road leading to three farms?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 02 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most local councils have a ‘report a pothole’ web page. I’ve reported a gravel-strewn roundabout which took me down, I’ve reported potholes and low friction surfaces, they were all ‘closed’ almost immediately and no action was taken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:26 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to prove not worth the hassle.
And even if you do prove it. It's The countryside it's too be expected.

But if you do take it court some of the burden of proof will be on you to prove that the mud is very old. They will have inspection record of the road.
Then even if you do prove it a judge may well just side with the council as it's a xoiuhtr road and mud is too be excepted.

Maybe if there is a building site or a farm nearby you could prove it was them that causes it as they have a duty to clean their tyres before the go on the road.
It's just not worth the hassle.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:35 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tallied up all the costs to replace everything damaged.... It comes nearly to 1000 quid... Its worth it.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mud on the road won’t be the council’s or Highways’ fault.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:13 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

It is if they never clear it up after years of complaints about it.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:10 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Which takes us right back to post #2 by Ste.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:44 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you know the road is almost perpetually muddy yet didn’t ride to the conditions of the road? You’ve already torpedoed your own argument mate.

I’ve been to Sheriff Court for civil and criminal trials and I know you have County Courts instead of Sheriff Courts but I’m not making any observations that the Judge won’t themselves.

You’re going to have an extremely hard time convincing a Judge that on the balance of probabilities that the Councils inactions contributed more than your shite road craft.

EDIT: for the avoidance of doubt, I also suffer from chronically shite road craft.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:55 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've got yourself stuck in a circular argument " I knew the road surface was muddy, it's been like it for years" "I slipped off because of mud on the road that I knew was likely to be there" It's very difficult to get from there to " It's the councils fault." If you were aware of the hazard , you should really have ridden accordingly.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Did you keep records?
The council would say the ‘polluter’ failed to comply with regulations, and then you’d need to identify who or what had dropped the mud and go after them.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:47 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one has accidents, if one keeps looking at external causes perhaps one might benefit from a bit of introspection? Self reflection is the only way to improve as a rider...

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:32 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you actually reported the road condition to the council, like on their website or anything

do you have multiple reports over a span of time ?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:02 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
have you actually reported the road condition to the council, like on their website or anything

do you have multiple reports over a span of time ?

I have made several over the last few years, not that specific road but roads around where I live.

ive actually spoken to a resident who lives next to where i came off... They told me that roads been like that for years. They never cleaned it up.

And they are willing to do a written statement on that.

Admittedly its not a road i normally take. So i wasn't aware of its condition.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:13 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on a hiding to nothing mate.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:27 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Maybe but in the end. Its worth my time if I can get any money to replace the damaged stuff...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yep. Unless you sustained a severe injury the attitude will be the same as the police’s when you report the theft of a bike: that’s what insurance is for. It sucks but there it is. Also, Marjay’s point is a good one. When I crashed my bike on a gravel-strewn roundabout (the fine gravel having been swept from the new Shellgrip approach) I could think of all kinds of reasons why it wasn’t my fault but in the end the key lesson was that I had become cocky. I thought I was fully in control and fully aware. I was caught out by the unexpected. The council were at fault and should have had to recompense me but it was never going to happen. I let it go. You have to.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Maybe but in the end. Its worth my time if I can get any money to replace the damaged stuff...

I think the point everyone is making is that you WON'T get any money, and will just spend a lot of time and frustration getting precisely nowhere.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:01 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
I hit an unavoidable patch of mud on the road

NutsyUk wrote:
i wasn't aware of its condition.

Would you have been able to avoid it if you had been going slower?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:11 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was only going 10-20mph at the time.
As for avoiding it... It was invisible...

Pitch black. The headlights didnt show it, it looked like the road.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:29 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
i was only going 10-20mph at the time.
As for avoiding it... It was invisible...

Pitch black. The headlights didnt show it, it looked like the road.

If it was invisible then how are the council to know it needs cleaning up?

TBH the only thing that is invisible with decent correctly adjusted headlights is black ice and that's not really the council's fault.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 03 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mud is everywhere at this time of year - the weather's been crap for at least six weeks. Wetter and damper than for the past few years, at least in the north east. I've encountered all manner of sh!te and slurry, on A, B and particularly unclassified roads since the end of November.

Vehicles pull onto the verge when they meet another, at least on the narrower lanes, then spin out mud onto the carriageway when they steer off the grass. This has led to some treacherous lines - chuck in pronounced crown cambers, frost and the perpetual twilight and you've got a veritable handful to contend with. Personally, I just try and relax into it and adjust to the fact that winter riding is often a different ballgame altogether.

Cold tyres, filthy calipers, greasy/muddy surfaces - it's all as inevitable as death and taxes and the notion that someone, somewhere is culpable is pretty risible tbh.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2