Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sir Tony Blair? No thanks!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
He was a hateful cunt and I'm bewildered that anyone is upset he was deposed.

I don't think anyone's proposing Saddam be awarded a knighthood Nobby Laughing

What gave us the right to remove him though? It was a stable country, as was Assad in Syeia. Their countries were way better before we got involved and tried to 'improve' them. Even Lybia was better under Gaddafi but hey, Tony was the envoy during the Arab spring, I'm sure he loved that utter fuck up.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddam was an oppressor, according to Iraq's Shias. They're probably right. However, how did this make him Britain's problem? And did Blair honestly think that a bit of naive interventionism would solve a tribal conflict that had alternately simmered and flared over the past several hundred years? Probably not. I don't think he ever had good intentions. I think he had a clear, self-serving plan.

It made him a lot of friends in Iran. But, not to put a fine point on it, with friends like those, who needs enemies. Iran was the net beneficiary here, as it gained proxy control over southern Iraq. Blair got his millions and, now, an "honour".

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgy cunt, should be sliced alive into little pieces and left for slugs to feed on.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:14 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Dodgy cunt, should be sliced alive into little pieces and left for slugs to feed on.

Blair or saddam?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
hellkat wrote:

Blair or saddam?

Let's not waste time choosing between them. One down...
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

One gets hanged, the other improves his millioaires portfolio

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
One gets hanged murdered, the other improves his millionaires portfolio

Fixed

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shed no tears over Saddam's death. However, Blair took us into an illegal war with false justification, lest we forget.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:37 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I shed no tears over Saddam's death. However, Blair took us into an illegal war with false justification, lest we forget.

Like I said, shouldn't have.stopped at the Kuwaiti Iraq border.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:40 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

And 5 years before he had wmds. It was a failure of intelligence that he had disposed 9f.them

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Like I said, shouldn't have.stopped at the Kuwaiti Iraq border.

Perhaps, but that still doesn't justify what Blair did. He most certainly does not deserve a knighthood. A prison term perhaps...
But I wouldn't even bother doing that. He should just be banished from public life. He'll still make his millions.

It wasn't a FAILURE of intelligence that took us into that war. It was manufactured "intelligence".

Nobby, you won't sidetrack me. This thread is about Blair's knighthood.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 04 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And 5 years before he had wmds. It was a failure of intelligence that he had disposed 9f.them

He was after a war. He thought he could do a Margaret Thatcher's Falklands war. The biggest joke of the century.

And no, I'm not a Thatcher fan but on the Falklands Thumbs Up

Last edited by Polarbear on 17:07 - 06 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:59 - 05 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
....It wasn't a FAILURE of intelligence that took us into that war. It was manufactured "intelligence"...

OMG Shocked another nutty conspiracy theorist.....

Sorry, couldn't let that go to waste. Laughing Although of course, you ARE actually right.

I agree with Hellkats offering.

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:03 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang the nasty cunt Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty I miss New Labour under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.

I am very much centrist and the Blair government was centrist. I voted Labour in every election (General and Scottish) until Brown stepped aside. I despise the party now after it shifted to the far left under Jeremy Corbyn. I am left with nobody good to vote for, but I did vote Conservative at the last election. I think Boris is a complete cock but while the Conservatives are right-of-centre and I am anti-Brexit: they at least brought in a lot of centrist and popularist policies so they get my vote over hard-left Labour. The Scottish Naz.. I mean Nationalist Party will never receive my vote.

I am upset that we were taken into a war that was completely pointless though and I don't think that he should have received a Knighthood.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:48 - 06 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
In all honesty I miss New Labour under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown....

Well, we all have Blair to thank for the Stakeholders Society, in theory it sounded good, but in reality only businesses get any say in decision making, and the bigger the business the more say they get...which is where we are today.
Even councils now have to bend over backwards to appease industry moguls, whereas joe bloggs, well he just doesn't matter any more.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
whereas joe bloggs, well he just doesn't matter any more.

When did Joe Bloggs ever matter? 2,600 years ago the Romans were all about Vox Populi but in practice the elites filled their pockets. To my eyes nothing has changed since then, the majority of people are insignificant to the small number of elites. It has always been the way.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another devious divisive cnut...when will we learn.

See the current PM and his scoundrels are eroding protest and [insert Braveheart slogan here]

Plenty must be thinking 'great...those BLM and Extinction Rebellion lot were getting on my nellies'. Shame that when something they would be bothered to protest about occurs ...and it will, they'll find themselves as criminals.

...but yeah Blair can go shrivel away for all I care.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Plenty must be thinking 'great...those BLM and Extinction Rebellion lot were getting on my nellies'. Shame that when something they would be bothered to protest about occurs ...and it will, they'll find themselves as criminals.

Protesting is one thing. Criminal damage is quite another. You could equally look at it that what you want to protect might be vandalised and the vandals get away with it. Do we want laws in this country? Then we should enforce them, the same for everyone.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smash summat up and rightfully expect to be collared.
Rightfully protest and expect likewise. Therein lies the rub.

The wedge is being driven home Nick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the public love to be controlled and told what they can and can't do these days, so it won't be a problem Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of Friday night, almost 1,019,000 people had so far signed the online petition. How many more will sign?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's enough ppl to be significant. Are we going to get Tony to hand it back? Are we going to get a statement from the Queen saying "tough titty, I think he's due it" Nope, we'll just get the mushroom treatment Sad

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:09 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
As of Friday night, almost 1,019,000 people had so far signed the online petition. How many more will sign?

TBH, although that's a lot of people (and if they were stood outside your house you'd be concerned), compared to the the UK population it's not a very high percentage.

What is the UK pop' ... getting on for 70 Million 'ish take off 50% for being under/over age/ too ill/decrepid/don't give a shit/etc.

So ~35 mill' so then if you got around the 17 million signatures that would be significant? that would be roughly 50% of the 'do care' population (not that they give a toss anyway).

What would your guestimates be?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

TBH, although that's a lot of people (and if they were stood outside your house you'd be concerned), compared to the the UK population it's not a very high percentage.

What is the UK pop' ... getting on for 70 Million 'ish take off 50% for being under/over age/ too ill/decrepid/don't give a shit/etc.

So ~35 mill' so then if you got around the 17 million signatures that would be significant? that would be roughly 50% of the 'do care' population (not that they give a toss anyway).

What would your guestimates be?

For that many people to actually give a fuck in an online petition is pretty damning in my eyes. I can only think of one other person/politician who would elicit that amount of animosity and that would of course be Thatcher, The difference between them would be that I doubt Thatcher would have had an 'across the board' dislike from people of all walks of life. Thatcher dislike was much more politically polarised.

One point about the amount of people who have put their signature to this, it's one tenth the total amount of people who voted Labour in 2019 and pretty much the same number who voted for the SNP. It's certainly not insignificant.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3