Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sign Govt petition: end new Brexit tax on transporting bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Sign Govt petition: end new Brexit tax on transporting bikes Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been posted before but whatever...

Before Brexit, it was a very realistic and cost-effective option to have your bike transported by road by companies like EuroBikeTrans and BikeShuttle to a remote EU destination and then fly out to join it for a tour locally, thereby potentially avoiding using up many days holiday on motorway slogging. Never done it myself but had plans to do so, eg to Oslo. But since the UK left the EU this method is no longer cost-effective as your bike would be classed as freight and import duty would be payable. It's basically something that got left out of the Brexit negotiations because, well, bigger fish to fry and all that. But it's a loophole that needs sorting. Please consider signing:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/598889

Petition website wrote:
Seek to end taxation on transporting privately owned motorcycles to/from the EU

The Government must make an agreement with the EU to allow third parties to transport motorcycles, used for tourism, to and from the EU duty & tax free and agree with the EU that only a letter of authority from the motorcycle owners will be needed to transport motorcycles through the EU border.

The Brexit Trade and Cooperation Agreement does not make provision for the temporary transportation of road registered motorcycles into the EU by third parties for tourism purposes, without attracting tax and duty. Road registered motorcycles that are being transported in this way should not fall into the same generic category as 'freight' and should not be subject to the same regulations as applies to trade movements of exports and imports when passing through UK & EU Customs.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:57 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what people voted for. It's not a tax implemented by the UK, it's a tax implemented by the EU, so what are we going to do about it? Ask them nicely? Leaving the EU was always going to have many and varied downsides, and this is just one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:07 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no chance of that happening until the EU stops being vindictive and spiteful.

That's not going to happen any time soon. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:39 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
There's no chance of that happening until the EU stops being vindictive and spiteful.

That's not going to happen any time soon. Laughing

Exactly. I'm not sure if the same "rules" apply for transporting an unaccompanied road vehicle into the UK from Europe? Anyone know?

There are many issues where the EU is not dealing from the same deck as they are playing. Pet travel is another one. We are accepting EU pet passports but the EU is not accepting UK ones.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed. Its one of these details that needs to be ironed out, and not what anyone voted for. For most other products you can get temporary export papers like a Carnet.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:15 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I signed. Its one of these details that needs to be ironed out, and not what anyone voted for. For most other products you can get temporary export papers like a Carnet.

Err... that's the tax, you need to pay for the Carnet fee. Also, what people voted for was an imaginary pie in the sky have your cake and eat it thing... The reality of Brexit is exactly this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The reality of Brexit is exactly this.

Aren't we seeing the reality of exactly what the EU is like?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:15 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe brexit was a bad idea in the first place as everyone seems to be complaining that we no longer have freedom of movement and trade is fucked up.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
A100man wrote:

Err... that's the tax, you need to pay for the Carnet fee. Also, what people voted for was an imaginary pie in the sky have your cake and eat it thing... The reality of Brexit is exactly this.

There was always going to be a price to pay I don't think that was ever hidden - even Farage admitted there would be some difficult transitions if I recall . Johnson's cake and eat it statement was never helpful and came after the vote. too early to say if that price is worth it in my view. There will be winners and losers as usual.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:03 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are realities of being outside the EU and there is being deliberately obstructive out of chagrinance.

This is the latter.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are taxing bikes as saleable products. This will lead to less UK citizens visiting the EU for tourism and converting their pounds to euros.

Cutting your nose off to spite your face?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:14 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
So they are taxing bikes as saleable products. This will lead to less UK citizens visiting the EU for tourism and converting their pounds to euros.

Cutting your nose off to spite your face?

Exactly, people would have their bikes shipped out to the Alps or the South of France then fly out to meet it, spend two weeks on holiday touring then fly home. Now they do not do this because they would be taxed as if their bike was an import. The type of tourist who does this is also the type who stays in hotels and eats out.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:33 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's an issue if the bike has a reg document as I recall, it's only if it's a 'race bike' if I remember rightly?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:49 - 07 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I don't think it's an issue if the bike has a reg document as I recall, it's only if it's a 'race bike' if I remember rightly?

No. The problem is if it's being transported rather than being driven. Either by you or by a third party on your behalf.

There is a system in place for transporting race bikes. What racers need to watch is they don't get stung for import duty (either way) on their tools, spares and equipment. I'm not entirely clear but I think you lodge a bond which is returned when you bring it back.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:05 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

There is a system in place for transporting race bikes. What racers need to watch is they don't get stung for import duty (either way) on their tools, spares and equipment. I'm not entirely clear but I think you lodge a bond which is returned when you bring it back.

That way around is surely easier, because you can take off the reg plate and move it as a 'race bike' then put the reg plate on at the other end? *shrug* Bit ropey I guess.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:24 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
...That way around is surely easier, because you can take off the reg plate and move it as a 'race bike' then put the reg plate on at the other end? *shrug* Bit ropey I guess.

Ha ha ha I like that, now that's initiative. So who is gonna test it.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I think there are realities of being outside the EU and there is being deliberately obstructive out of chagrinance.

This is the latter.

Remember when everyone was comparing the separation of the UK from EU to a divorce?
Well, this is the stage where she fucks you over and takes all your shit, give it a decade and you might be able to do coffee at hers but she probably won't be asking you to stop overnight any time soon... Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:26 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Remember when everyone was comparing the separation of the UK from EU to a divorce?
Well, this is the stage where she fucks you over and takes all your shit, give it a decade and you might be able to do coffee at hers but she probably won't be asking you to stop overnight any time soon... Laughing

Nah, this is the bit where you offer to split everything amicably in half but she insists on getting lawyers involved. You have to move out into a bedsit and she spends the next five years living in the house until the court decides to split everything in half. Only now there is no house because it's been spent on lawyers.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Nah, this is the bit where you offer to split everything amicably in half but she insists on getting lawyers involved. You have to move out into a bedsit and she spends the next five years living in the house until the court decides to split everything in half. Only now there is no house because it's been spent on lawyers.

Laughing

ah fuck yep that's how that one plays out

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the 70 million in the UK how many export their bike to europe and ride back? Probably far less than those who ride into europe and ride back again, but then how many actually do this every week/month/year? Again what is the actual fine, sorry tax for doing so? Thousand or just a few hundred? Lets face it, if you can afford to tour europe, you can afford to pay the extra.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:16 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Again what is the actual fine, sorry tax for doing so? Thousand or just a few hundred? Lets face it, if you can afford to tour europe, you can afford to pay the extra.

I've found stuff that explains it better than the text in the petition does:

"An ATA carnet allows you to temporarily import goods for up to 12 months without incurring any duty. Costs for the carnet vary between £200-£350.

On top of the carnet itself, you must either hand over 40% of the value of the items on the carnet as collateral or buy insurance to cover the 40% figure. The idea being if you return home without the items on the carnet, you forfeit the deposit."

"Anecdotal evidence, however, suggests that confusion at the ports means that some customs officers are asking to see carnets for road-legal vehicles. If you turn up at the port without a carnet and the customs officers think you should have one and you can’t convince them otherwise, they have the right to turn you away, which could end your trip on the spot.

GBCC are recommending that before you take a trip to Europe, you should give them a call (0121 725 8996) and they will advise if you need a carnet.

But what about bike transports? Kevin Healy runs Focused Events, who transport hundreds of bikes to Almeria, Spain, each year for sun-baked trackday action.

"As soon as you hand over your bike to someone else to transport, even if it’s road-legal, it becomes goods and requires a carnet," says Healy. "But it also becomes much simpler. We only need one carnet for all the bikes we transport, which means the cost to the individual could be as little as £40 and there’s no paperwork for you to fill out. We can also obtain vouchers for people who want to leave their bikes with us at the circuit."

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/biking-after-brexit/

"If you like to take a biking holiday in Europe and you prefer to ship the bike out and back rather than riding it all the way then you may be affected by an unanticipated consequence of Brexit. Riding your own bike in and out of the EU remains straightforward and there is government guidance to refer to here. But if it’s in a van or on a trailer the situation on the borders is different.

But there is some emerging good news in this area if owners all accompany their bikes. Going by the feedback from various countries so far, you should be all right if you and your mate put your bikes in your mate’s van and travel together in the van to where you want to ride, though the exact border procedure may vary from country to country. The important thing here is that all the bike owners will be travelling with their bikes. There might be a greater possibility this year that you may get stopped away from the port – not uncommon in France – but if you have all the paperwork then you should be ok. But – and this is important – you must have originals of all your documents, particularly the V5. If you air-freight your bike via a ‘bonded’ freight forwarder into the EU, that will work similarly to doing this to other international destinations, with local customs rules applying.

Now that the requirements for each EU member state on ‘owner accompanied’ transportation are becoming clearer, the NMC have called for the Government to issue a guidance note for motorcyclists travelling with their own bikes in vans or on trailers, setting out what people can expect and what they need to do to prepare. If, however, you prefer to get your bike transported by a third party by road then a serious issue remains. Your bike is now freight carried by a third party and now that the UK is no longer in the EU it is subject to Customs regulations.

Yes, there are recognised procedures to temporarily export goods for show purposes and for racing – if your motorcycle is not road registered. In this case an ATA carnet is required – this can be dealt with by your shipper; costs a bit but that’s how it’s done. You’ll also need this carnet if you are taking your own unregistered motorcycle into the EU for a sports event or show. (You also have to demonstrate that everything you took into the EU you take back out again. For musicians it may be back to the days when a touring band had to keep all the broken violin strings, broken drumsticks and used saxophone reeds etc. until they were back in the UK). However an ATA carnet is definitely not intended to be used for a road-registered vehicle and anyway you really don’t want to have to pay for one. There is another sort of carnet, the Carnet de Passage en Douane, but that is even more expensive and in any case, most EU countries don’t recognise them.

So, what to do? The UK Customs and Excise department give you different answers depending on who you asked and the day of the week – i.e. they didn’t know. The NMC was approached by a few companies for whom transporting bikes has been their main business. Of course 2020 was a really bad year for them as no-one was going anywhere very much but at the beginning of this year the transitional period ended and then the border crossing problem was identified. In 2021 it is actually easier to ship a bike by sea or air to America or the Far East than to Europe – there are clearly recognised procedures for wider international destinations."

https://www.britishmotorcyclists.co.uk/motorcycle-freighting-into-the-eu/

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I will be touring the British Isles then. No problem there.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
So I will be touring the British Isles then. No problem there.

Which includes Ireland.. I wonder therefore what would happen if you travelled to EU 'mainland' via Cork? Not that it would be worth the hassle unless you're an NI resident.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1