Micro cars

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:41 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Micro cars Reply with quote

Anyone had or know about them?

Mate of mine picked one up last week (Aixiam??)

They seem weird and a complete death trap to me.

Someone that hasn't driven a car since being in the army in the 80's. Can you buy one and go for a drive.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:18 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Micro cars Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Anyone had or know about them?

Mate of mine picked one up last week (Aixiam??)

They seem weird and a complete death trap to me.

Someone that hasn't driven a car since being in the army in the 80's. Can you buy one and go for a drive.

What do you want to know?

Aixam is a French car made for the French licencing system, which allows for anyone over the age of 14 to drive a low powered vehicle with no more than 2 seats, without the need to pass a test; basically an 8hp quad bike with a roof.

They were briefly sold in the UK in the early 2000s (my radio show was sponsored by an Aixam dealer, c2001) and they are absolute piles of shit.

They have the performance characteristics of a moped and the crash protection of a damp cornflake packet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 04:25 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they are small and light enough to count as a category B1 car? Which you'd be able to drive on a full motorcycle licence. If you fancy being overtaken by spotty youths on twist and go mopeds and cyclists.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In France aren't they the ones that piss-heads use when they've lost their licence?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Citroen Ami is coming to the UK!
You asked, we answered! ​

Due to unprecedented customer demand, Citroën is pleased to announce that Ami and Ami Cargo are coming to the UK…

https://www.citroen.co.uk/models/future-models/ami.html

https://www.citroen.co.uk/content/dam/citroen/uk/b2c/models/future-models/ami/ami-showroom.jpg?imwidth=991
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:27 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effectively a bubble car. I think they have their place in urban transport. It's still a very long way from the wackiest bubble car design ever made

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Quote:
The Citroen Ami is coming to the UK!
You asked, we answered! ​

Due to unprecedented customer demand, Citroën is pleased to announce that Ami and Ami Cargo are coming to the UK…

https://www.citroen.co.uk/models/future-models/ami.html

https://www.citroen.co.uk/content/dam/citroen/uk/b2c/models/future-models/ami/ami-showroom.jpg?imwidth=991

So you have to pay £250 to register your interest even though there is no price, no delivery dates and it doesn't guarantee you jack shit? If a Nigerian did that it would be called scamming. Laughing

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:42 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid at all costs. I briefly had an electric Aixam, it couldn't even hit 30mph, and this was before all the electrical faults kicked in. There was no proper dealer network, so no spares, just beardy chancers importing these plastic deathtraps and some equally useless electric scooters (Vectrix). Can't remember the name now but their Ltd Co was would up within 2 years of launch.

The conventionally fuelled ones are equally wank - both were powered by stationary (i.e. generator) engines that aren't designed to be revved (diesel =Kubota, petrol = Lombardini). I've driven a diesel one and the acceleration is glacial even when compared to a push iron. You'd be better off buying a Chinese 125 or, better still, repeatedly slamming your head in a door until you pass out.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Quads with a roof or a Quad is a car without a roof. Anyway I hate Quads.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:52 - 08 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably get a classic Izetta or Bond Bug for less money.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
So you have to pay £250 to register your interest even though there is no price, no delivery dates and it doesn't guarantee you jack shit? If a Nigerian did that it would be called scamming. Laughing

A Nigerian? or a putative wet-weather motorcycle accessory manufacturer?

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 20:32 - 09 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:18 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bloke was an uber 'early adopter' - he was driving an electric micro car in the UK back in 1977!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfHx0FsZXKQ

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy too:

https://www.lrukforums.com/threads/electric-vehicle-conversions-nothing-new.261260/

https://www.lrukforums.com/attachments/unnamed-2020-06-14t123641-238-jpg.151937/

https://www.aircraftrestorationcompany.com/blenheim

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/55f810a5e4b0e5bde7f7a7d4/1550682310735-ZDXQ4CLDP2KYLUUNVH28/ARCo-Bristol-Blenheim-Flying-Feature.jpg?format=1500w

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these battery cars deliver milk to your door in the morning too?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:53 - 09 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we really could do with in the UK are more kei cars. There are a few in the UK but they make loads of them in Japan.

A lot of them are really very cool but they are also small, light anf fuel efficient. It's a market a bit like the 250cc Japanese sportsbikes of the early 90's, if they qualify as a kei car, they are cheap to tax, exempt from the most rigorous inspections and (I think) you don't need a full licence. As such all the kids buy them and they want something cool so it's a competative market. To qualify as a kei, they have to have an engine no bigger than 660cc and must fit inside an imaginary (small) box.

Mrs stinkwheel really wanted a Honda S200 but the cost of importing one was getting silly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kei "bike" ?

https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto/navi

https://www.motorcycle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/jonnum_honda_navi-484_web-1.jpg

Shocked

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:59 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
What we really could do with in the UK are more kei cars. There are a few in the UK but they make loads of them in Japan.

A lot of them are really very cool but they are also small, light anf fuel efficient. It's a market a bit like the 250cc Japanese sportsbikes of the early 90's, if they qualify as a kei car, they are cheap to tax, exempt from the most rigorous inspections and (I think) you don't need a full licence. As such all the kids buy them and they want something cool so it's a competative market. To qualify as a kei, they have to have an engine no bigger than 660cc and must fit inside an imaginary (small) box.

Mrs stinkwheel really wanted a Honda S200 but the cost of importing one was getting silly.

Safety could be an issue, not much room for crumple zones. Also cost - they weren't that cheap, just cheaper on the road in Japan because of the taxation system. I'm also not sure about their fuel economy. They were good in the 90s, using fairly advanced 660cc turbo engines. Nowadays a diesel focus will return 50mpg, a same size hybrid will do more than 60 and electric is a thing.

All that said, it would be a lot nicer if cars in London trended towards Kei rather than 4x4. The roads aren't getting any wider.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:54 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

All that said, it would be a lot nicer if cars in London trended towards Kei rather than 4x4. The roads aren't getting any wider.

People would also drive more considerately. You can't be angry driving a Kei car, they're just too much fun.

I can't imagine anyone shaking their fist out of the window of an AZ1.

https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/media/magefan_blog/Screenshot-2020-01-16-at-14.08.55.jpg

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/hScjggOSAUU

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 16 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove the bloody thing last night.

What a death trap. Used to driving things that weigh 300x that. But was frigging scared. Over 40mph it seemed like it was driving on sheet ice and just drifting over the road.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 16 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

S660 @Stinkwheel?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one, where windows were an optioinal extra, and it was already silly money, Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I saw one, where windows were an optioinal extra, and it was already silly money, Laughing

Renault Twizy?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine it being a big success in this country. Not safe, not cool, too expensive. People already get on a bus to get to Asda or Lidl, all the way across town, or jump in a big 4x4 to go to Sainsburys a couple of hundred metres away and across the road. Too much of an ask, culturally. Not much sense, practically.
In Spain and France, maybe.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Can't imagine it being a big success in this country. Not safe, not cool, too expensive. People already get on a bus to get to Asda or Lidl, all the way across town, or jump in a big 4x4 to go to Sainsburys a couple of hundred metres away and across the road. Too much of an ask, culturally. Not much sense, practically.
In Spain and France, maybe.

I have never understood why 125cc bikes and scoots haven't taken off as huge things over here. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to fuel, etc. Overall much cheaper way of getting to most works than even public transport. Downside is rain exposure but since it doesn't rain as much as people believe it does in the UK it shouldn't be the definitive put-off factor:

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/climate/rain-much-london-well-not-much-really/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2