BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Micro cars

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 17 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Not sure about that article. The rain in Miami is different from the rain in England. I like a certain amount of wind and rain in my face. However, the vibe is totally different in different places around the world. I love Miami - really enjoyed my visit there in the 90s - but you can get the sort of rain there that makes it unrideable, whereas here you don't. Not that it would matter, because you'd get some super positive energy, just because you're in Miami...

Don't know about the 125 thing. Many French and Spanish parents will recall when 2-stroke mopeds were everywhere, in the 80s. Over here you get overprotective parents, perhaps. Not sure.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 18 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda never cracked it with the 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda' series of ads. If they can't, no one will.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2P_U_xj9kQg/WbakR2JXuHI/AAAAAAACzzU/TKQqFNMtKdUTgx0SQ-PBPK50evdhQkq7wCLcBGAs/s1600/you-meet-the-nicest-people-on-a-honda-7.jpg

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:27 - 19 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price of the cbt and all the other odds and ends you could pass the car licence with some change for insurance.
Even when bike licences weren't made into a mess, people were still getting vehicles like the reliant robin.

Easy-X wrote:

You could buy china clones of these about 10 years ago.

https://classic-motorbikes.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Monkey-bike-1.jpg

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:15 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
For the price of the cbt and all the other odds and ends you could pass the car licence with some change for insurance.
Even when bike licences weren't made into a mess, people were still getting vehicles like the reliant robin.

Whatever your thoughts on the Robin, it was a properly designed motor vehicle that did the job it was intended for... even as the museum piece it is now it's still light years ahead of shite like the Aixam; itself essentially a bit of old bedstead frame with a genny engine and a washing machine gearbox bolted to it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 20 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
Jmoan wrote:

Whatever your thoughts on the Robin, it was a properly designed motor vehicle that did the job it was intended for... even as the museum piece it is now it's still light years ahead of shite like the Aixam; itself essentially a bit of old bedstead frame with a genny engine and a washing machine gearbox bolted to it.

The engine in the Robin was an alloy engine designed by Coventry Climax. No slouch for it's day.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got a Robin mk.2 sat on the drive. Had bikes all of my life and never got on with cars, didn't bother with a license until it became absolutely necessary a couple of years ago.

Had a couple of Rialto models before the Robin and I've loved all of them. Quirky, surprisingly capacious (spent a few summers working as a gardener for hire, you can fit a full ton bag of brash plus a decent range of tools in the boot) and if you know the vehicle they'll happily go a decent distance. While I've only done runs of a few hundred miles there are a couple of guys I know that have driven to Russia in a pair of Reliants, and another group I know of that did a charity run from Sheffield to Monte Carlo.

They're basic cars even for the time they first came out, but they are a hell of a lot of fun. Sadly they're getting pretty difficult to find now, there was a strange craze in the banger racing scene a few years back and most of them got trashed as they were cheap to buy.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
Sadly they're getting pretty difficult to find now, there was a strange craze in the banger racing scene a few years back and most of them got trashed as they were cheap to buy.

Was after a basic runaround, don't need a car etc, just local shit. Couldn't believe the prices of them. That said, I couldn't find anything that wasn't minter.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Was after a basic runaround, don't need a car etc, just local shit. Couldn't believe the prices of them. That said, I couldn't find anything that wasn't minter.

Most of the remaining examples are owned by what can only be described as neck bearded rivet counters, if it's not got the original stereo or has a part adjusted for some reason (air filter mod, for example) then they want you to burn in hell for desecrating The One True British Car.

Mine was a working car, she earned her keep. There used to be an OK scene around them with quite an active modding/tuning crowd (believe it or not). Main issue I have at the moment is the fact she needs new headlights, can't find Fiesta Mk2 headlights for love nor money, they appear to be made of hen's teeth and unicorn shit. Considering turning my hand to making a fibreglass infill for new lights, just can't be arsed Laughing

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:57 - 21 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Robby wrote:

All that said, it would be a lot nicer if cars in London trended towards Kei rather than 4x4. The roads aren't getting any wider.

People would also drive more considerately. You can't be angry driving a Kei car, they're just too much fun.

I can't imagine anyone shaking their fist out of the window of an AZ1.

https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/media/magefan_blog/Screenshot-2020-01-16-at-14.08.55.jpg

I drove the original Daihatsu Copen 658cc Kei car. It was an absolute hoot. 65 bhp at 6000 rpm and a weight of only 800 kg with a convertible hard top. It wasn't quick at accelerating but that didn't really matter, you just drove everywhere with your foot flat to the floor, and it cornered like a fly. On most quiet A or B roads you hardly ever had to touch the brakes for any corner or bend.

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Micro cars Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Anyone had or know about them?

They seem weird and a complete death trap to me.

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole:-
https://www.shropshirelive.com/news/2021/12/24/man-dies-following-collision-on-a5-at-montford-bridge/

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a mazda AZ1 no?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:

Most of the remaining examples are owned by what can only be described as neck bearded rivet counters, if it's not got the original stereo or has a part adjusted for some reason (air filter mod, for example) then they want you to burn in hell for desecrating The One True British Car.

This is why I'll likely end up building/buying a Trike with a lockbox. Nothing in the immediate future, but it'll happen at some point.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 24 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
This is why I'll likely end up building/buying a Trike with a lockbox. Nothing in the immediate future, but it'll happen at some point.

To be honest I've always disliked Reliant trikes, you get all of the downsides without the weather proofing. Also had a Mantis (VW based) for a while, way back when. Even that wasn't great. Look hard at a bike based three wheeler would be my advice.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

To be honest I've always disliked Reliant trikes, you get all of the downsides without the weather proofing. Also had a Mantis (VW based) for a while, way back when. Even that wasn't great. Look hard at a bike based three wheeler would be my advice.

I've had a few of both. My favourite to ride was a goldwing trike. My favourite for trying to kill me was a mini engined trike I built myself but it was so much fun. It weighed sod all, had no weight on the front wheel. Easy to wheely. Embarassed

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Drove the bloody thing last night.

What a death trap. Used to driving things that weigh 300x that. But was frigging scared. Over 40mph it seemed like it was driving on sheet ice and just drifting over the road.

Just goes to show the extra wheel gives you nothing. The robin could hit 80 and felt perfectly fine at that speed.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 25 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
To be honest I've always disliked Reliant trikes

It won't be Reliant based. Shifting alone kills that idea for me. If I have a workshop by then, I'd look at chucking a a VFR1200 lump in one. At the lower end, and already built, XJ900 divvy. Don't want a smaller engine really.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2