Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike got hit while parked up

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Bike got hit while parked up Reply with quote

Some dirty scummy rat bastard hit my beloved Kwaky while she was sleeping in the parking bay across the road from my house. From the damage on the right fairing panel it was reversed into and took a heavy gouge out of it, it was then pushed backwards and toppled over hitting the left fairing panel and handlebar on the pavement. I think that it resting up on the kerb was a good thing as it meant the generator cover didn't touch the road and fuck me for a new stator/ rotor again!

She got knocked over and they fucked off without leaving a note or anything. No witnesses, no CCTV, nothing. Went to the Police and they told me without evidence they can't do anything about it but would "look into it".

I went into the Chemist that's just up the road a little and asked if anyone went in there with information or if their CCTV covered that area (it doesn't, we checked and it only covered the frontage and steps into the store). I also went to a house a few doors down in case their Ring doorbell caught anything (it didn't, the angle wasn't wide enough anyway).

Damages were:

1. Left-hand fairing panel is shattered and cracked at the upper part near the screen,
2. Right-hand fairing panel has a heavy gouge taken out of the panel,
3. Left-hand wing mirror sheared off,
4. Left-hand hand-guard buckled out of shape and plastic guard snapped at screwed connection.

https://i.imgur.com/1hpe8t6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/VVsSr0H.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/4rqg0LA.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/nshiCam.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/JY9Vb8n.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/fis2n2f.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/rtmNQ7W.jpeg

What really annoyed me is that the mirror was replaced at the same time the handlebar and sprockets were replaced and the handguards were only just put on her last weekend!

Well, I went onto eBay and got two used fairing panels in the same colour, two new wing mirrors with extenders, Barkbuster handguards and a new saddle since the one I have on it is a bit fucked on the inside for a job lot at £220.

Since I am going to have the fairings off, I think I will take the time to put a load of tape-backed foam on the frame to stop some of the fairing buzz which does my tits in.

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 10:53 - 17 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you have lever guards on a road bike?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
Why do you have lever guards on a road bike?

It was hand guards, to keep wind off my hands more than anything else, it only looks like a lever guard since the deflector bit was snapped off it. I rode my 125 all through last winter and I have mostly kept riding my 650 through this winter except a couple of days where I had to take the car (I am not taking my son as a pillion in the snow).

It did guard the lever too though so, at least I don't need a new clutch lever as well.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of arse.. Mad

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Bunch of arse.. Mad

As you have no doubt realised by now, if I didn't have bad luck: I would have no luck Crying or Very sad

I was spitting venom at the time, wanted blood (still do) but it's done now and I have to just eat the cost and move on. If it wasn't for the fact I found really good condition replacement fairings relatively cheap I would have just kept riding it with broken ones.

If anyone has experience on putting rubber/ foam on bikes to stop vibration/ buzzing and has tips let me know.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:25 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Bike got hit while parked up Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
She got knocked over and they fucked off without leaving a note or anything. No witnesses, no CCTV, nothing. Went to the Police and they told me without evidence they can't do anything about it but would "look into it".

Thinking

They could record it as a crime rather than doing nothing.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Bike got hit while parked up Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Thinking

They could record it as a crime rather than doing nothing.

I was handed a "Victim Care Card" with an incident number on it. I doubt anything other than that will actually be done about it.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:57 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain
Happened to me with a brand new Vespa a while back
Middle aged couple drive off after, I saw and chased them so the new they had done it.
Turned out to be false plates on their car , wtf

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
I feel your pain
Happened to me with a brand new Vespa a while back
Middle aged couple drive off after, I saw and chased them so the new they had done it.
Turned out to be false plates on their car , wtf

Gutted for you mate, know the pain of being fucked with nobody to fuck back Crying or Very sad I have to be completely honest though, I am not a paragon of virtue or a bastion of integrity myself and I couldn't say 100% that I wouldn't have fucked off to save my NCB myself in similar circumstances.

What was the damage to the Vespa?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:33 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason 1 why I don't have a bike if I don't have a garage.

Is shit, I feel for you. Someone definitely hit it and it wasn't just a nice gust catching that sail of a cover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunts. Sorry for you mate.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck dude. Crappy drivers and drunks are everywhere.

New security cameras (not that Ring pos) give you really good picture quality at a low price. They have person detection, night vision and everything. They can easily pick out a number plate at 20 metres or more. As the bike is directly across the street from your house, then if you set one up at your house aiming it at the street, you'd be able to easily trace the vehicle or person responsible, if this happened again. With a good SD card, you can just leave it to record constantly, for about a week before having to wipe it.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:48 - 10 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted for you chap, you and that poor bike are just one thing after another.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 11 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an utter shit when something you have worked hard for gets damaged through no fault of your own. Sadly it's the way of the world now, Quick, fuckoff before anyone sees us. Evil or Very Mad

The police just aren't interested until you give whoever a kicking. Then see them take an interest.... in you.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 11 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is rubbish. Note there's snow; maybe someone lost control and slid into it? I know the road looks snow-free in the picture, but presumably when it had first came down it might have been on the road too? Doesn't excuse it obviously though - they still should have left a note.

As mentioned above, maybe a good excuse to get an inexpensive WiFi CCTV camera and point it at where you bike is kept? Could be useful if anyone ever tries to pinch it too.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 11 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually some sage advice on setting up a camera from my side of the road opposite, can't believe I hadn't done it already. Going to look at buying one on lunch break.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 11 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear dude, this kind of stuff boils my piss. Someone dented my new car door a few months ago and I was fuming for weeks so I cant imagine what this is like.
Do you have crash protectors? It's one of the first things I put on my SV because I just know at some point I'll drop it or knock it over. They look quite cheap too compared to what I had to pay.
https://motorcyclepartswarehouse.co.uk/mpw-crash-bung-protectors-kawasaki-er-6n-f-06-11.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA8vSOBhCkARIsAGdp6RTr_7Go_AgxUPP1da9Icnu2mXOe8Svc9wnoJV-pd8QhNNBQrfvAk2IaAhSpEALw_wcB

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 11 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
Gutted for you chap, you and that poor bike are just one thing after another.

To be completely fair mate, the first big bill was totally my fault as I looped her trying to pull away from some lights like an arsehole. 100% on me that one, painful on the wallet and my wrist was slightly fucked for a month or so but it was all on me anyway and I don't have any right to complain.

The run-in with the garage was due to a miscommunication (on their part) where they thought I was going through insurance. It was resolved in the end amicably (credit to the cost of the parts erroneously scrapped). These things happen in life, I've been in many contractual disputes in business: it's just part of business and isn't personal.

Now this, my poor obnoxiously loud iron horse being accosted and left battered by a random cunt. Boils my blood and another hit to the wallet but it's done now and just have to move on.

I am very grateful to the forum though as I was going to go balls deep on a brand new MT-09 on finance and I was talked out of it on threads and in DMs by some of the older hats. I am so glad I listened because it would have been written off twice-over by now.

When I got into biking I knew it was going to be a money pit and I just accept that it's the price of entry for the thrill and enjoyment of biking. I fucking love it. Motorcycles are amazing.

Ayrton wrote:
Sorry to hear dude, this kind of stuff boils my piss. Someone dented my new car door a few months ago and I was fuming for weeks so I cant imagine what this is like.
Do you have crash protectors? It's one of the first things I put on my SV because I just know at some point I'll drop it or knock it over. They look quite cheap too compared to what I had to pay.
https://motorcyclepartswarehouse.co.uk/mpw-crash-bung-protectors-kawasaki-er-6n-f-06-11.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA8vSOBhCkARIsAGdp6RTr_7Go_AgxUPP1da9Icnu2mXOe8Svc9wnoJV-pd8QhNNBQrfvAk2IaAhSpEALw_wcB

I am absolutely going to get frame protectors and sliders, but from pics of that one in particular being installed I need to drill through the fairing panel, I think I will go with a more expensive R&G one that fits in the void between the upper and lower fairing panels instead just so it's a cleaner look but still offered protection.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 11 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see this. The same thing happened to my bike years ago but it was a naked bike and somehow it escaped relatively unscathed. Maddening though, pride and joy and all that.

Not excusing the careless or myopic sod but looking at the photos it strikes me there’s an impossible compromise between keeping the parked bike low-key so as not to attract unwanted attention, and yet not blending it into the background. That pavement looks quite wide, I’d be tempted to use it after this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 11 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
That pavement looks quite wide, I’d be tempted to use it after this.

Unfortunately that part of the pavement is part of the tactile surface for the pedestrian crossing just out of frame Crying or Very sad

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:04 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

christ you have some bad luck

is their anything you can put on the bike on a night to make it more visible ? though suppose then its a theft risk ?

with that cover on, with the snow etc, they probably couldnt see it, it does blend in very well with its surroundings, is their nowhere else you can park it ?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
christ you have some bad luck

is their anything you can put on the bike on a night to make it more visible ? though suppose then its a theft risk ?

with that cover on, with the snow etc, they probably couldnt see it, it does blend in very well with its surroundings, is their nowhere else you can park it ?

There is a small car park just around the corner that was made by the council for the council houses that were built, but the residents there are extremely militant about people who don't live there parking in "their" carpark. I know they don't actually own it but there's no point parking there if my car/ bike is guaranteed to get keyed and mirrors smashed, etc. They have form for it, I know of two guys who's motors got keyed parking in it overnight from my street.

So unfortunately it is the only reasonable place to park her overnight other than in another street away from mine or in the old folks home which has a massive and mostly unused car park but it has no security and the bike would probably eventually be stolen from there as nobody is around to stop it, etc.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:32 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant win really, hi-vis cover and you will get kids messing with it or potential theft, the cover you have now though makes it camouflaged to the surroundings that a sniper would be happy with

no lamp posts etc you could chain it to just off the road ?

i worry about parking mine anywhere, car turning into a space not looking properly, cars reversing and not seeing it through back window as its too low etc

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 12 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
you cant win really, hi-vis cover and you will get kids messing with it or potential theft, the cover you have now though makes it camouflaged to the surroundings that a sniper would be happy with

no lamp posts etc you could chain it to just off the road ?

i worry about parking mine anywhere, car turning into a space not looking properly, cars reversing and not seeing it through back window as its too low etc

I think I am going to go the hi-vis route. It's only temporary, I fully intend to have bought a house with a drive and a garage in the second half of this year Crying or Very sad

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:42 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. One of the reasons I do not park on the road. Even when going to the shops or town I am really careful where I park.

Heck, even when I parked my R1150 on my drive it still got hit.
But that was by my dad who reversed his transit van into it.
Funny thing is he did more damage to his transit door then to my beemer xD
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2