Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice/inspiration needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:08 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Advice/inspiration needed Reply with quote

As can be seen/noticed on my posts, I have recently got into this hoppy and now realizing I need to spend more if I want to continue, so I have a few burning questions.

Q1- keeping it safe

The bike is normally parked (when not in use) secured back garden with 24 hours recording camera, heavy chain lock, and a bike cover BUT I am still not happy/confident with it and want to build a secure home (wooden or brick shed) anyone done something like that and would like to share few pointers please (pics would also be nice)

Q2-

I realized I cant carry around the heavy chain lock when I am about so need a recommendation please for a disc lock for the quick stops, something that isn't bulky but enough deterrent for the opportunistic thief.

Q3- the bike has engine sliders but was wondering if it is worth getting proper engine protectors (the metal cage thingy) and handlebar protectors, the kinda my training school had (when I was training which did come in handy when the bike was dropped multiple times (it wasn't ME Smile ) for the eventual bike drop Wink

Sorry for the long post - I am finding my way around this maze.

UPDATE---

Location - East Midlands - Leicester
Bike - 2009 Honda CBF600
Usage - Evening/weekends (NOT WINTER though)

Last edited by Abaaba on 14:35 - 13 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location? Bike? Commute?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly a secured back garden with cover and chain is pretty well secured, enough to stop the opportunistic teenagers coming for the average commuter or weekend bike - there will be less well secured bikes within your general area that are easier targets.

If you have some £40k special edition Ducati and they're coming directly and specifically for your bike, then a shed isn't going to stop them any more than your garden gate is.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and your other questions.

I have an ABUS 8008 and it feels very secure. I took the battery out of the alarm because it annoyed me, but the alarm is very very loud too.

I wouldn't bother fitting crash bars to my own bike, mostly because it's a tarty Aprilia and they'd ruin the looks.

I did actually have a bad crash on a bike with engine bars and they did save the engine on a bike that was known for cracking cases in small drops, but those bars came on the bike, and I fancy my odds well enough not to bother with the cost and effort of fitting them myself.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:39 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Location? Bike? Commute?

Updated the post - thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about your other questions but I don't think you should get engine protectors. The training school had them because their bikes get dropped a lot. I'm going to make a wild stab in the dark here and guess you're going to go a bit faster than you did on your test, over the next 12 months or so. Laughing

If you crash, the main issue is you, and your personal safety. So just don't crash. Reason I don't like engine guard is that if you're in a slide, you want to be away from the bike, and anything that risks entangling your foot is bad. Others may take a different view though. That's just my opinion.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I did actually have a bad crash on a bike with engine bars and they did save the engine

Same here. Bike was still written off anyway though so I kind of wondered why I'd bothered. They might be of use in very slow off, or dropped-it-on-the-floor scenario, I suppose

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has now had to repair his bike twice ... get sliders and crash protectors. They would have literally saved me close to £1000 by now.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:05 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Re: Advice/inspiration needed Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:

Q3- the bike has engine sliders but was wondering if it is worth getting proper engine protectors (the metal cage thingy) and handlebar protectors, the kinda my training school had (when I was training which did come in handy when the bike was dropped multiple times (it wasn't ME Smile ) for the eventual bike drop Wink

I had small low down engine bars on my old Fazer 600, were great at protecting the engine the sides. Certainly put them to good use several times and always had a bike I could ride home - even when sliding off a track at 70 odd in France...

Got crash bobbins on my current FZ6, certainly worn one of them down when I sent the bike spinning down the road after a rear wheel spin up. Minimal damage to rest of bike, again a ride away.

That said, my wife used to have a 2006 CBF500 (not a million miles away from your CBF600) with no crash protection. Never did more than a near stationary drop on it though (obviously a better rider than me!), but she was forever snapping/bending the clutch/brake levers. So, I just stashed a spare set ready under your seat, which by sods law gauranteed stopped any further levers from snapping... Otherwise, she bend the rear brake pedal, which was always more faff to swap and less readily available. Minimal other damage occurred other than scuffs to bar ends and top box.

Don't dismiss a big top box, great for carrying a big security chain around and for protecting the sides of your bike if you drop it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:24 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&G make re-enforced engine case covers for CBF600s if you don't fancy engine bars. They are made of the same stuff as your crash bungs (which do a pretty good job of protecting the tank, plastics etc).

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Honda/CBF600/2009/KEC0026BK/

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:09 - 13 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

If you have some £40k special edition Ducati and they're coming directly and specifically for your bike, then a shed isn't going to stop them any more than your garden gate is.

I wish it was worth 40k lol, mine cost just over 2k

c_dug wrote:
Oh, and your other questions.

I have an ABUS 8008 and it feels very secure. I took the battery out of the alarm because it annoyed me, but the alarm is very very loud too.

Nice one, I will look into this - The louder the better Very Happy

Bhud wrote:

If you crash, the main issue is you, and your personal safety. So just don't crash..

I know mate, I bought the full gear before even starting the process of getting the licence (I know some people will be surprised but my safety comes first)

stinkwheel wrote:
R&G make re-enforced engine case covers for CBF600s if you don't fancy engine bars. They are made of the same stuff as your crash bungs (which do a pretty good job of protecting the tank, plastics etc).

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Honda/CBF600/2009/KEC0026BK/

This looks interesting and easy to fit Thumbs Up

Arfa__ wrote:

but she was forever snapping/bending the clutch/brake levers. So, I just stashed a spare set ready under your seat,

more of a reason to get the handlebar protector, no?

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
As someone who has now had to repair his bike twice ... get sliders and crash protectors. They would have literally saved me close to £1000 by now.

that is the plan, downpayment for future protection lol

Thanks for the input guys..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1