Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Plugs stop sparking at the tip?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:20 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Plugs stop sparking at the tip? Reply with quote

Got an old atv, when I put a new plug in it it started and ran well, however after 5 minutes it stopped running and wouldn’t start again!

I checked to see if it had spark by putting the plug next to the head and it sparked but only in the centre of the plug not at the tip, tried to clean it but it wouldn’t change!

I found an old plug cleaned that up and it sparked at the tip as it should, put tgat in the bike and it fired up straight away, however 5 minutes later the same thing happened again?

I haven’t got another plug as yet as need to order one but is there anything that could be causing this to happen?

The plug isn’t wet when it comes out!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:23 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coil is breaking down and fails when it gets hot. Once it cools it starts working again.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:35 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s still the same when it’s cooled, I wouldn’t say it’s bearly warm, I can touch the exhaust without burning hand!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:24 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said changing the plug (which takes time so the coil will cool a bit) fixed the problem temporarily.

Therefore it's not the plug. The coil may have now gone terminal.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:05 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried another brand new plug I had, wouldn’t fit as it was too thick but sparked perfectly when trying that, even checking now completely cold the plugs that were in both have bad spark but the new one is perfectly fine with no arcing!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:17 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the coil.

Either believe me or don't believe me. A new spark plug of the right size will cost about £3.

If it still has the same symptom with a new plug you will realise that I'm right.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the coil is hotter than simply warm, then that is a big identier to the coil breaking down... How warm is it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:55 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure you understand what I wrote, so I’ll try and explain again and dumb it down as best I can!

1, I have ordered a new plug but have to wait as not in stock!

2, both plugs I used don’t spark properly when held next to the cylinder head (using the traditional plug test method)

3, when trying a brand new plug within seconds of trying the other 2, it sparks fine! This BRAND NEW plug, THAT SPARKS FINE, has threads to big to fit in the barrel, hence can’t use it!!!

4, again I have ordered a new plug that will fit!

5, again when using the new plug it sparks fine, UNLIKE the other two that don’t spark fine!

6, new plug spark fine, old plugs not spark fine!

7, if your telling me that the coil is faulty even though the new plug sparks fine but the old plugs don’t then it doesn’t make any sense at all!

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:56 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha who said the coil is warm??

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:44 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't get away from your symptoms of it stopping after 5 minutes but once it's given 5 minutes it starts again with the same plug and you have tried 2 plugs which both showed the same symptoms.

How about I suggest that it's fucking aliens causing it rather than the obvious solution that the coil is getting hot and failing which is a known thing?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a very rich mixture especially if it's coupled with low compression where oil is getting past the rings and washed up into the plug. The engine will start when it's cold because it needs the extra fuel but after that it's just flooding the engine. Lawn mowers are prone for it.

Try a hotter grade of plug.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:15 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby

Don’t know if your just being awkward or daft!

I’ve obviously explained, the coil isn’t getting hot? I don’t know where you got that from?

I obviously explained I’ve tried different plugs instantly, the new one works old one doesn’t?

Are you only reading things you want to read or just a keyboard warrior??? Can you read what I am posting??

Pete.

It does start fine from cold with a decent plug in it but I will order a hotter plug like you suggest, it’s a 200cc Honda ATV 4 stroke, I’ve checked valve lash etc has a DR8ES-L in It, they don’t do a DR9ES-L any suggestions?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmingstock wrote:
Nobby

Don’t know if your just being awkward or daft!

I’ve obviously explained, the coil isn’t getting hot? I don’t know where you got that from?

I obviously explained I’ve tried different plugs instantly, the new one works old one doesn’t?

Are you only reading things you want to read or just a keyboard warrior??? Can you read what I am posting??

Pete.

It does start fine from cold with a decent plug in it but I will order a hotter plug like you suggest, it’s a 200cc Honda ATV 4 stroke, I’ve checked valve lash etc has a DR8ES-L in It, they don’t do a DR9ES-L any suggestions?

Yeah, fit a DR7 because a DR9 is colder than a DR8.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:34 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how fitting a hotter plug would fix rich mixture, low compression and oil getting into the cylinder but if you must...

It wouldn't fix a.knackered.coil either.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Not sure how fitting a hotter plug would fix rich mixture, low compression and oil getting into the cylinder but if you must...

It won't but it might help stop it fouling up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:02 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. No mention on the colour of the plug though.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:31 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand new plug that had been in 2 minutes!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:50 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmingstock wrote:
Brand new plug that had been in 2 minutes!

Erm, lol.

That is not healthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:12 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not mention that the plugs were getting completely fouled up in the first place?

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:16 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Why not mention that the plugs were getting completely fouled up in the first place?

Because the bike didn’t run long enough, I was constantly cleaning, changing, this one is brand new and I rode it down the road and back then took it out straight away!

The bike has been stood for years, the back box is rusted through, it’s had an oil change and a new air filter!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:29 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give allnthe symptoms, get a wrong diagnosis.
Its not like it's a minor symptom either. That that is so far beyond the normal definition of fouled up its scarcely believable that an engine even did this.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:42 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Don't give allnthe symptoms, get a wrong diagnosis.
Its not like it's a minor symptom either. That that is so far beyond the normal definition of fouled up its scarcely believable that an engine even did this.

I explained what had happened, I’d not been able to run for long as I’d been removing plug constantly as explained, bought a new plug as suggested, this is the colour!

Don’t understand where you think I got the plug from ha ha, it was brand new and I rode it about a mile, it was running fine then started to run poorly so I rode back and took the plug out straight away!

What would cause this to happen?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massive over-fuelling. Either the choke is stuck on or a jet has fallen out in the carb or the needle is not being held in place by the clip.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:19 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Massive over-fuelling. Either the choke is stuck on or a jet has fallen out in the carb or the needle is not being held in place by the clip.

Stripped the carb again and this part looks like a snake, could this be the cause?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 09 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the emulsion tube, it should have the main jet scewed in the hex end and the needle pokes into the other.

Never seen one bent but if you say so...

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2