BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moderation?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:41 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Moderation? Reply with quote

I generally feel that if someone is putting forward views which are unpalateable or unpopular, or even downright looney but just the right side of legal and are being robustly met with counter-arguments from other members, they should be allowed to remain.

Mostly on the basis that this will hopefully cause them to question those views when they are met by opposition from their peer group. The alternative being they are banned then move onto other sites which will echo chamber those views.

I try not to let the fact that I personally find them fucking annoying influence moderating decisions.

However, it's getting boring and I feel a few members are polluting every thread they enter with the same old shit. Particularly rabid and way out there covid conspiracy theories and right-wing xenophobic rantings.

On a side note, I'm not going to get into refereeing arguments and bickering matches between members providing it remains the right side of civil but what I can do is split those bits off threads and dump them into Fights and Flamewars which will kick the shit out of the karma of the people concerned.

I'm sure the people concerned know who they are. I'm interested in how other members feel.

If they don't want to reply on the open forum, they can always PM me.

Also remember i work full time, and like to get out and ride motorcycles on occasion and am not spending my whole life refereeing on here.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:50 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the feeling that this is going to sting a little....

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you're busy but surely it's just click here click there and job's done?

Personally, I support moderation just because it's a necessary thing.

I've been told "everyone else" don't seem to have a problem with some of the behaviour on here (which is mostly petty name-calling) and that it's just me, when I've expressed some level of annoyance.

Obviously, this doesn't work unless you can publish a list of who's considered "everyone else" and who isn't, or what the criteria is for infallibility.

Regarding the Covid conspiracists, I think there's a public health interest there in taking more active interest in that.
Regarding the xenophobia (I think it's more anti-Islam?) again, that's unpleasant, but if you look at the efforts of the forum to suppress that stuff, it was just tedious and long-winded.

Regarding my arguments about AI, and my ideas on policy and public administrative reform and stuff, they may seem to be a bit unusual but surely I have a basic expectation to not be harassed, accused of not being sufficiently in-group, insulted with references to drugs and juvenility, etc.? Getting personal should be off-limits, because if not then it's inevitable pointless arguments will ensue.

At the end of the day, if there's going to be a BCF culture then I for one think it should be spelled out. Because you stick a subforum there called Politics and Current Affairs, and someone naively crosses some invisible line (e.g. racism, which is unacceptable) then it should be clear in advance. Likewise, you should, in my opinion, seek to reinforce that there is no privileged group on here that you can "join" or fall afoul of.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:13 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still got the butthurt because the nasty man upset you then?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the karma system do its thing and move the relevant threads to F&F.

Maybe negative ratings should have a steeper impact curve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Still got the butthurt because the nasty man upset you then?

I like the way you're super-confident that stinkwheel isn't going to do jack. I'm not saying you're mistaken. But you need to find a way to come to terms with the fact that people have opinions other than yours and can express them here.

I understand how you tried to regulate the forum in your own way, with your anarcho-libertarianism, but it didn't work properly. You had 3 or 4 participants in threads hundreds of pages long. This shit hasn't done you any favours either. So how about being open to a new approach this time? Why is it so sacrosanct that everything has to go on as before?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this mostly self-moderating forum works very well. There is a problem with people not engaging with counter-arguments and simply returning time and again with the same tiresome nonsense, but that’s not a moderation issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:50 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is under the wrong impression, I'm just a forum member who has been given some tools to moderate thread content. It's not my forum and I don't control how it's set up or how the karma system works.

Bhud wrote:

Regarding my arguments about AI, and my ideas on policy and public administrative reform and stuff, they may seem to be a bit unusual but surely I have a basic expectation to not be harassed, accused of not being sufficiently in-group, insulted with references to drugs and juvenility, etc.? Getting personal should be off-limits, because if not then it's inevitable pointless arguments will ensue.

Personally I don't think anyone went over the top there, although I didn't read all of it. My read is the pair of you engaged in a late night bickering match because you were both bored and awake. Maybe both had a bit to drink too? Neither of you would let it lie. You're an adult, you confronted the things you found insulting and told him so in a literate and verbose manner. Good. Or do you really want me to ban him?

I'm not convinced you should have a basic expectation not to be insulted (here, or in life). Any more than if you stood up on a soap box on a street corner and held forth then expected not to be heckled.

I personally would like to see a lot more about motorbikes and a lot less in the non motorcycle sections. I'd love to see it so you can't post in the offtopic sections unless you also post in the motorcycle sections, however that would just lead to shitposting in the bike forum.

Maybe all posts in the non bike related sections should have a negative effect on karma?

EDIT: I would also point out that there is an enemy function on the forum which people could stand using more. If you set someone to ememy, their posts do not appear. Just click on their profile and you can use a drop-down to set them to enemy.

I wish I could enemy a lot more people but I feel like I have to keep an eye on what some of them are posting.

I do find it funny that I'm called a anarcho-libertarianist here but have been called a far right extremist by people on facebook. Just goes to show it's all about the view from where you're standing.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Maybe all posts in the non bike related sections should have a negative effect on karma?

That would be a brilliant move.
At the end of the day, I'm just trying to help play my part in moving things forward. Humanity has already augmented and is now in full trot on its way to becoming something else. So my arguments and ideas there are more on the lines of: anything that invokes any technology-led sort of change is likely to be deficient, but it will at least help in moving on from the stagnant lake. Dragonflies live around stagnant waters. They're a very ancient and well-adapted sort of animal. The danger is, of course, if you've got that forum there, it gives the impression that this is what "bikers" are all about. Circular, old ideas going round and round. Then this in turn creates a new sort of hardman cult around it. It's like cafe racers. They're a newer generation's idea of what some kind of authenticity and sincerity and connection to a tradition looks like, but they're empty/imaginary, it's all wrong, and the persistence of failed systems and ways of thinking ends up harming everyone in its new expressions.

So, yeah, if we could all sort of help with drawing a line under the old world, that's probably the best legacy we could leave for the next gen. Neg karma for posting there would be a great idea. Just my opinion and I'm not saying I'm always right.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:02 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who don't know, giving bad karma comes at a price. I used to have 3 gold blobs as well.

I ended up green during the.original donkathon.

It's pain I'm prepared to take to keep racist fuckwits in their place.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:22 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to think that this is a case of butthurt.

There are many people on here that I disagree with (the statue thing for starters)

It wouldn't stop me sitting round a fire and having a beer with them. Normally you accept that people's opinions won't match with your own.

I couldn't be arsed to read all of the bollocms from last night but there's only one person who is having a hissyfit about their opinion being disparaged.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'm inclined to think that this is a case of butthurt.

There are many people on here that I disagree with (the statue thing for starters)

It wouldn't stop me sitting round a fire and having a beer with them. Normally you accept that people's opinions won't match with your own.

I couldn't be arsed to read all of the bollocms from last night but there's only one person who is having a hissyfit about their opinion being disparaged.

That. Definitely that. Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It wouldn't stop me sitting round a fire and having a beer with them.

I know. That's why I wouldn't join you when you karma-bombed that dick, a long time ago.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:47 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wouldn't be invited. Because Katie would be.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bhud ...dude you rated Islander's post as Abusive. Doh!

@Stinkwheel Bung 'em into F&FW...you ain't got time for micro-management.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
@Bhud ...dude you rated Islander's post as Abusive. Doh!

We've been rowing over the past couple of days. Yep, things went pear-shaped. Apparently I'm to blame but whatever - no harm done. It's only the internet. Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ought to lose karma for the angry, childish PM you sent late last night, Bhud.

Tut Tut

Maybe stinkwheel’s guess is right and you were drunk.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkers 4 Mod. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
For those who don't know, giving bad karma comes at a price. I used to have 3 gold blobs as well.

I ended up green during the.original donkathon.

It's pain I'm prepared to take to keep racist fuckwits in their place.

Underrated Rating given for correct use of Donkathon.
Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was indeed. Sorry about that. Embarassed

Nobby isn't completely right about my motives though. I think some moderation will be good because that subforum is a stubborn old horse. I wanted to try and change some perspectives and views that I believe aren't doing any good. There was some pretty obnoxious stuff under Politics and Current Affairs up until recently. It was very, very far out of step with the times. As there are much better things in the pipeline, I wanted to interject with some new ideas and a glimpse to how the future will look. It's all happening all around us and I'm sure we all signs of it. Anyway, I'm sure any onlookers and readers will be bored to death of hearing about it by now.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Just in case anyone is under the wrong impression, I'm just a forum member who has been given some tools to moderate thread content. It's not my forum and I don't control how it's set up or how the karma system works.

Bhud wrote:

Personally I don't think anyone went over the top there, although I didn't read all of it. My read is the pair of you engaged in a late night bickering match because you were both bored and awake. Maybe both had a bit to drink too? Neither of you would let it lie. You're an adult, you confronted the things you found insulting and told him so in a literate and verbose manner. Good. Or do you really want me to ban him?

I'm not convinced you should have a basic expectation not to be insulted (here, or in life). Any more than if you stood up on a soap box on a street corner and held forth then expected not to be heckled.

I personally would like to see a lot more about motorbikes and a lot less in the non motorcycle sections. I'd love to see it so you can't post in the offtopic sections unless you also post in the motorcycle sections, however that would just lead to shitposting in the bike forum.

EDIT: I would also point out that there is an enemy function on the forum which people could stand using more. If you set someone to ememy, their posts do not appear. Just click on their profile and you can use a drop-down to set them to enemy.

I wish I could enemy a lot more people but I feel like I have to keep an eye on what some of them are posting.

I do find it funny that I'm called a anarcho-libertarianist here but have been called a far right extremist by people on facebook. Just goes to show it's all about the view from where you're standing.

I've been on and off (shut it) the forum for many years.

There been many whankirz cum and gone. Good riddance to them.

Many more interesting characters don't post now which is probably just a change in their outlook more than not liking the forum.

I think moderation on this forum is tough for a mod.

But usually it's spot on and kinda democratic.

Those who don't agree obviously need to find a 'better' venue.
Visordown is maybe still taking members.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what's fucked up though is that I had some long and interesting and thoughtful discussions with people who were most definitely ordinary people, not thick-skinned hard men or anything, in P&CA recently. It was a normal discussion between human beings. This was interrupted by some abuse which got a little out of hand. The abuse and bickering (which was 2-way), made up a tiny percentage of that overall discussion. But, from what you're saying, that little episode is more important than all the rest when evaluating whether to use the forum.

That's strange, but OK. I get it. The forum just won't be moderated - for reasons that are hard to describe - and that's that then.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:53 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got drunk andhad a hissyfit. Get over it.

Nobody.really gives a shit.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:12 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people stopped replying to Donk then Marcus would go away.

Last edited by Ste on 22:38 - 22 Jan 2022; edited 1 time in total

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 22 Jan 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was drunk or maybe I'm playing the adult here. Anyway - who gives a shit?

I'm curious about something though.

Why are you so against Marcus? It isn't because he's a racist, is it. Something to do with someone called Katy, right?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4