Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moving domain registar

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Moving domain registar Reply with quote

If I have a domain registered with my current registrar until 2025 and I want to move it to another registrar will I retain the renewal date?

I know there is usually a few for moving domains about, just annoying that I've got domains with 5year subs that may require moving.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i recall ( been a while) the domain is yours for the duration of the time you paid for irrespective of registering company.

I'd ask your new Registrar and see what they say.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, if only Google weren't being such gits. (ending legacy G suite)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, same situation Sad I don't think the G-Suite's particularly good value for money. I have a few apps from Play that will get binned which is annoying, currently weighing up Office 365 instead. At least with that you get 1TB of cloud storage.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i have 365 Hosted Exchange, 2xO365 basic licenses and 2 domains with Namecheap who have been excellent to deal with.

Office 365 really is the deathknell for home MS Exchange and tbh thank god for that. It just takes all the aggro out of it.

It just works.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:04 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Will do, if only Google weren't being such gits. (ending legacy G suite)

All my stuff is too engrained to bother moving elsewhere. £4 a month, loads of space, will barely notice it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already pay for o365 for the OneDrive space, Google is simply forcing my hand to move, otherwise I’d pay.

Doesn’t help having multiple domains and users, cost sharp add up.

As long as my Google account stays which is what appears to be the case, stuff paying £5 a month per user for gmail, especially since I already pay for o365.

Not jumping in yet though, lots of talk of Google bringing out a family plan, can’t see it, but they are getting quite a bit of backlash for this.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:38 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried going to 365 Family, but they wanted to force me to use a GoDaddy domain... I wouldn't transfer to GoDaddy if they paid me. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 02 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I tried going to 365 Family, but they wanted to force me to use a GoDaddy domain... I wouldn't transfer to GoDaddy if they paid me. Laughing

Fair enough, I thought the same but apparently if you put in the correct DNS records with your preferred hosting service you can fake it to look like GoDaddy...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/ft15pk/use_personalized_domain_with_outlook_and_office/

Remember the wording "transferring with GoDaddy is the only supported solution" so once you get over that hurdle Micro$oft won't give a shit.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 03 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Yeah i have 365 Hosted Exchange, 2xO365 basic licenses and 2 domains with Namecheap who have been excellent to deal with.

Office 365 really is the deathknell for home MS Exchange and tbh thank god for that. It just takes all the aggro out of it.

It just works.

Except the spam filtering in Exchange Online is crap. Constantly lets through very obvious phishing attempts (even claiming to be from Microsoft with random Russian domain names). Never had that issue on gmail, even with stock settings. Logged multiple tickets with M$ over it, never got a straight answer.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 03 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mimecast at work, not worth it for my private domains. Not enough email to warrant the expense etc.

Most of what comes through is collected through Gmail/ Gmx. Very rarely use my domains for anything but outgoing and the expected ( and wanted) replies.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 03 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I wouldn't transfer to GoDaddy if they paid me. Laughing

Why?

I only used my domains for email and very basic port forwarding, surely any registrar should be able to cope with that?

Only time I've had to raise a support call with my current one was due to a billing problem, mind that does say a lot as to how good they might be (current is 123-reg).

I know I can avoid GoDaddy as suggested on Reddit, but I foresee it causing more problems down the line.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:33 - 03 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
I wouldn't transfer to GoDaddy if they paid me. Laughing

Why?

Because they are atrociously expensive and I run my own DNS stuff, so their portal is very meh. They also (back when I didn't have any domains and did some shopping around) had unchangeable TTLs, fuck that.

I basically like to control my own stuff, I hate other people controlling it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 03 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Fasthosts at the moment. Early on their DNS control was crap and I used Zoneedit instead but they've got a lot better over time and very little a dedicated DNS server can do over their settings.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking the whole problem is having an e-mail provider with some reputation otherwise I'd just run a Raspberry Pi hanging off my home fibre connection.

I'll probably end up with a personal Gmail account and just use email forwarding from Fasthosts and "Send As" Thinking Gmail's spam filtering is bloody good and (as I have it at work) Outlook is crap in comparison.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1