Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What to do with my car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: What to do with my car? Reply with quote

It's a Ford Focus 1.8i Ghia, petrol, with a bit over 50k miles on the clock.
Up until about 2 years ago when lack of funds saw me declare it off road it was passing MOTs with no extra expense required. Generally clean and good condition inside and out, it now has one slow puncture and another tyre that lost its pressure pretty quickly recently, and a dead battery. Couple of small scrapes and a crack in the rear bumper plastic.

I think it needs to go before time starts to deteriorate it, since it sits on the drive in full view. But what options to get rid are there? It mustn't cost me anything to do, and of course if there were any monetary value in it, I'd prefer to take advantage, however small.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 18:30 - 04 Feb 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: What to do with my car? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It's a Ford Focus 1.8i Ghia, petrol, with a bit over 50k miles on the clock.
Up until about 2 years ago when lack of funds saw me declare it off road it was passing MOTs with no extra expense required. Generally clean and good condition inside and out, it now has one slow puncture and another tyre that lost its pressure pretty quickly recently, and a dead battery.

I think it needs to go before time starts to deteriorate it, since it sits on the drive in full view. But what options to get rid are there? It mustn't cost me anything to do, and of course if there were any monetary value in it, I'd prefer to take advantage, however small.

Try to move it so it isn't seized anymore. Try to punt it as spares/ repairs on Gumtree for over scrap amount but less than what an MOT one would get. If that fails scrap it and get them to come pick it up from your place (most breakers do this).

EDIT: forgot to say get a mate to come jump start it and see if it charges up it's own battery while sitting there that way it might not need a new battery.

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 18:32 - 04 Feb 2022; edited 1 time in total

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flog it spares/repair on Ebay Gumtree etc
Being able to start it and show its a runner would increase the dosh you get for it of course.
Even a £10 or scrounged up SH battery capable of doing this would help.
Otherwise it's scrap price.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing seized about it as far as I'm aware.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not inclined to strip it for sale of spares. Don't think I'd have all the tools required for one thing. I'd prefer to see it go as is. I might end up letting it go for scrap value, since it isn't of any use to me anymore but can't sit there forever out of use. Just wondered if there were other options to consider, so thanks for suggestions so far anyway.

Not sure where I might be able to get a FREE, even used battery just so I could demonstrate it still runs (if it does). If I tried the local dump for e.g., I'm not sure I could carry a car battery all the way to here from there. I'm literally on a subsistence budget.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm not inclined to strip it for sale of spares. Don't think I'd have all the tools required for one thing. I'd prefer to see it go as is. I might end up letting it go for scrap value, since it isn't of any use to me anymore but can't sit there forever out of use. Just wondered if there were other options to consider, so thanks for suggestions so far anyway.

Not sure where I might be able to get a FREE, even used battery just so I could demonstrate it still runs (if it does). If I tried the local dump for e.g., I'm not sure I could carry a car battery all the way to here from there. I'm literally on a subsistence budget.

Don't strip it: just sell it as "spares or repairs" as a total unit they come and take away. Breakers will come collect the car from you and hand you cash. Don't buy a battery, confirm it's actually dead first by jump starting it and seeing if it charges up costs nothing.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a bike battery charger. Tried charging it for a couple of days on that, no go.
Think I'll probably end up doing as you say anyway, flog to a breakers as spares and repairs for whatever they'll give for it.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:08 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother in law had a pug 207 which did it's cambelt. Listed on ebay with plenty of pictures and a decent description and it sold in a week and someone came to collect it.

Is there not someone on here local to you who would lend you a battery?

Bidding on a car that's been stood, I fully expect the odd fucked tyre and a battery that needs replaced, but it's nice to know it starts, charges and holds fluids, clutch engages and releases, gears can be selected and it rolls.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:16 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bike battery charger is the same as a car one. 12v dc is 12 v dc.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

Bidding on a car that's been stood, I fully expect the odd fucked tyre and a battery that needs replaced, but it's nice to know it starts, charges and holds fluids, clutch engages and releases, gears can be selected and it rolls.

I can pump up the slow puncture, see if the other will hold air (haven't tried since I noticed it flat), and then check if I can roll it, but not much else I can do. Haven't noticed any puddles or stains from fluids underneath.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yeah, I thought it should have done the job.
The car did a lot of very short trips in its last year or so, so not surprised it gave up after sitting for a long while too.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It's the current it's capable of delivering that's different, especially with a discharged battery.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It's the current it's capable of delivering that's different, especially with a discharged battery.

A couple of days on a bike charger ought to have made some difference though, oughtn't it? If it were recoverable?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - it will just take longer as long as the cells aren't shagged. I'd take the battery out and plonk it on a charger and also check the cells aren't down on De-ionised water etc. Do the free basics.

1. Can you get it running.
2. Once running can that process be repeated.
3. Once repeatable - does it have any other issues.

Even a 2nd hand battery and puncture repair aren't expensive, nor is an MOT if you know it will pass.

A car with 12 months ticket will always be worth more than one without.

Presuming you want to sell it in one piece. If you're skint then a car you can sell for more is good.

Scrap value will be £300 to £400 i'd guess - it must be worth more than that on eBay or whatever?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Scrap value will be £300 to £400 i'd guess - it must be worth more than that on eBay or whatever?

Hmm, not sure about that. I forgot to say, it's 2004 registered. 1.8 petrol engine makes it not particularly sought after too - high tax bracket.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap man will tow it onto the back of a wagon for £150 at best
Ebay on a sold as seen spares / repairs with a low start and no reserve and a couple of mates to prod the bidding along has to be worth a punt?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ford+focus+1.8+&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&Model%2520Year=2004&_dcat=9844&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, phone scrap man, $150 minimum and gone. Then give me a shout and I'll help you drink it and we'll put the world to rights.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Hmm, not sure about that. I forgot to say, it's 2004 registered. 1.8 petrol engine makes it not particularly sought after too - high tax bracket.

I'd check the used car market around you first, and try to find a decent running car under a grand. You'll struggle.

It's gone properly mental. I spent 2 months looking for a decent second hand car, and even with ten large in my sky rocket, it was no easy feat.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it to me.

Since being given a new (2012) car last March, my poor little '91 205 that i've had since 2010 doesn't do much these days itself out on the driveway, but then- i've always ridden to work so my cars barely get any use anyway.. even in the winter.

I have a 41 year old car in the garage which tends to only go through a few tanks of fuel a year. It doesn't do too badly being sat...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:31 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people are jumping to the conclusion that this car is somehow worthless. Have you not noticed that ALL cars have risen in price over the last two years? Putting a battery in it and getting a couple of tyres and an MOT on it would then net you probably £1500 to £2000 for a runner I reckon.

There are hardly any cars sub £1500 for sale at the moment, especially ones that run and have an MOT

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm literally on a subsistence budget."

I think the primary issue mmentioned is a lack of funds to spend on it.

So anything he can get for it that doesn't involve spending money on it is preferred.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:00 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
"I'm literally on a subsistence budget."

I think the primary issue mmentioned is a lack of funds to spend on it.

So anything he can get for it that doesn't involve spending money on it is preferred.

In which case put it on ebay for a price that the car would fetch in good condition, minus the cost of tyres and a battery and an MOT and a bit for the hassle. Start it on a Thursday and do a 10 day auction. Don't put a buy it now, but put a start price as the cost as calculated above. Say it's collection only and see what happens. Worst that happens is it doesn't sell.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a set of jump leads and start knocking on neighbour's doors (unless they all hate you.. Wink )
As above get the bugger running as a minimum..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I think a lot of people are jumping to the conclusion that this car is somehow worthless. Have you not noticed that ALL cars have risen in price over the last two years?...

There are hardly any cars sub £1500 for sale at the moment, especially ones that run and have an MOT

No, I don't generally watch the car market. I wonder why this is then? I mean, 1.8 petrol engine - it'll fall foul of every new green measure that's ever introduced, and it's not like it's some kind of classic. Pretty low mileage for the year, but even so...

Anything that I do net is profit, since the car was given to me originally.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:04 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
No, I don't generally watch the car market. I wonder why this is then?

The shortage of microchips means a shortage of new cars.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3