PostPosted: 16:17 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a 2004 Focus 1.8 with 50,000 and a bit on the clock in generally good nick
just needs a battery and tyres sorting for MOT
BTW, you can get an 063 battery from £45 delivered if you cant find/scrounge up
a cheap SH one locally

There are always folk wanting a cheap motor
Scrap it for £150
Put a bit work in to it and get maybe £500 plus
Stick an MOT on it and maybe get a grand?
are there any serious advisories on the last MOT it had?

1.8/50K 'not worth anything' bollox
Mine's a 1.9 TDI deisel Galaxy @96K and I could easily get well over a grand for it

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:28 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

No, I don't generally watch the car market. I wonder why this is then? I mean, 1.8 petrol engine - it'll fall foul of every new green measure that's ever introduced, and it's not like it's some kind of classic. Pretty low mileage for the year, but even so...

Wrong, wrong and wrong. People are desperate for reasonable capacity petrols because Diesels are against the ULEZ and other emissions zones. You say 1.8 like that's a big deal... That's small capacity as far as I'm concerned. My last car was a 3.0 and my current car is a 3.8!

I think you'll be surprised. The second hand market has gone NUTS partially because of the chip shortage, partially because people saved up money during the pandemic to buy dream cars (me included, but I did have a plan to do it as far back as 2017... ) and partially because everything has gone up in price.

It is worth spending to raise on this one I think, a battery and tyres will cost you, what... £150 max for that car? You'll get more than that back for it I think with an MOT but I think you'll still be surprised at what you get for it as long as you're honest about what is wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:29 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

There are always folk wanting a cheap motor
Scrap it for £150
Put a bit work in to it and get maybe £500 plus
Stick an MOT on it and maybe get a grand?
are there any serious advisories on the last MOT it had?

I think those price estimates are still on the low side at the moment. In a few months when things calm down? Maybe not. Right now? I think they are low.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just guessing, I have no real idea of SH car prices
but I do hear they're pretty high.
Also when you see the asking price of utter shit box bikes and cars
I reckon he's got more potential value on his hands than he thinks

On a geographic /nearby customer base note
Cumbria can be anywhere from Kirkby Lonsdale to Carlisle
If he's near Kirkby for instance, he may well get people willing to nip up from the Manchester area to have look.
If he's in Whitehaven they may not be so keen.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
"I'm literally on a subsistence budget."

I think the primary issue mmentioned is a lack of funds to spend on it.

So anything he can get for it that doesn't involve spending money on it is preferred.

Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my old 130k Nissan 'Bastard' twin-cab on EBAY with little MOT left, 5 tyres on the limit, 2 years from its last service and holes in the chassis so big you could put your fist through (it was about to snap in half...) for £1,500 a few months back, and it had gone within 2 hours. I was completely honest about its condition too. People are desperate for cars at the moment because new ones aren't being delivered, so things that were worthless previously now have a value.

If it were me, I'd get the engine running then put it on the Bay with no MOT for £600 and see what happens. You may be presently surprised. If you don't want to shell out for a new battery until you know whether it still runs or not, borrow one from a mate to try it out...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up my old Skoda on eBay and the closest equivalent miles and age was 3 bags! So much for diesels going in the bin.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just scrap the thing

https://www.car.co.uk/scrap-my-car/locations/north-west/cumbria

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:11 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there some loaded sod on here who can loan CS a couple of quid to put the thing through it's MOT and realise its full potential?

As previously noted the second hand market is jumping as there is a shortage of new motors feeding the system.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah if only there were some wealthy americans reading this Mr. Green

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could start an adult version of cumbriacraic and take in lots of ponds .... there's a bolt for every nut etc etc

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Isn't there some loaded sod on here who can loan CS a couple of quid to put the thing through it's MOT and realise its full potential?

As previously noted the second hand market is jumping as there is a shortage of new motors feeding the system.

Profit share! Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Profit share! Smile

I'd lend him a battery, but I don't think he'd accept one from a racist paedo as it wouldn't look good to the neighbours Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:46 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

99p no reserve auction on eBay and let someone pay you far more than you ever thought it could be worth.

Once you've got lots of money for it you can thank me later. Wub

Last edited by Ste on 21:54 - 06 Feb 2022; edited 1 time in total

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you based these days, Chickenbobs?
edit: I mean, generally.
oop norf or dahn sarf

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Where you based these days, Chickenbobs?
edit: I mean, generally.
oop norf or dahn sarf

About as far oop norf as you can go and still be in England.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
99p no reserve auction on eBay and let someone pay you far more than you ever thought it could be worth.

Once you've got lots of money for it you can thank me later. Wub

Do you think if I sat on it a bit longer it'd be even more valuable? Why is there a chip shortage for new cars?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap is poor at the moment £120 max, MOT is £48 I think and a battery is about £60, If I was closer to you I would put a battery on it and put it through an MOT and see what was what. Minor stuff is usually a scrappy job or ebay parts. But if you are brassic it might as well be millions of pounds to sort.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:43 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any guide i picked up a 1.4 clio a couple of months ago as a run around whilst the daily driver came in for an overhaul, 06 plate with 120k and 4 legal but mismatched tyres (long mot tho), paid 600 quid plus 60 in coach ticket and fuel to get it from yorkshire and back, and in the current second hand market i was chuffed with the deal

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Why is there a chip shortage for new cars?

Dat is like well complicated, innit.

In short, Covid19. But it's not as simple as that and there's some differing opinions on what really caused the shortage - including Elon Musk saying it was because automobile manufacturers panic bought chips like toilet paper and crashed the supply chain.

The most likely explanation is pretty simple. Generally speaking, the world needs more chips than are being produced. When the pandemic hit car manufacturers looked to control costs; thinking nobody would be buying a new car, they canned down their orders for new chips. No point stockpiling things that'll be sat there on the budget sheet not being used.

Of course, what did people want in a pandemic? Games consoles. What do games consoles use? Chips.

Now, people like games console manufacturers are the ones with the standing orders for chips, whilst car manufacturers aren't first in the queue any more.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:06 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
If its any guide i picked up a 1.4 clio a couple of months ago as a run around whilst the daily driver came in for an overhaul, 06 plate with 120k and 4 legal but mismatched tyres (long mot tho), paid 600 quid plus 60 in coach ticket and fuel to get it from yorkshire and back, and in the current second hand market i was chuffed with the deal

A while back I had a 2004 Lexus IS300 sportcross which was in half decent nick, and I paid £800 for it back in 2018 ish.

Whilst looking at a ridiculously overpriced Mercedes I spotted one at the back of a dealer's yard - was older than the rest of their stock, so an obvious p/x - and was up for a cool £4495 Shocked It was in better nick than mine was, granted. But still.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Why is there a chip shortage for new cars?

Dat is like well complicated, innit.

In short, Covid19. But it's not as simple as that and there's some differing opinions on what really caused the shortage - including Elon Musk saying it was because automobile manufacturers panic bought chips like toilet paper and crashed the supply chain.

The most likely explanation is pretty simple. Generally speaking, the world needs more chips than are being produced. When the pandemic hit car manufacturers looked to control costs; thinking nobody would be buying a new car, they canned down their orders for new chips. No point stockpiling things that'll be sat there on the budget sheet not being used.

Of course, what did people want in a pandemic? Games consoles. What do games consoles use? Chips.

Now, people like games console manufacturers are the ones with the standing orders for chips, whilst car manufacturers aren't first in the queue any more.

Agree with your post: the shortage is simply a consequence of supply and demand. The world has a set silicon output capacity as there is a set number of lines and a set number of manufacturers. Global demand increase was steady before COVID but when everyone is locked away at home they need things to do and thus buy electronics. Games consoles, TVs, PCs, Laptops, phones: all require processors and microchips. Demand exploded and nobody is able to catch up with demand again. You can't magically open a new production line or factory overnight. Chip factories are literally multi-billion dollar investments:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/japan-allocate-52-bln-fund-chip-plants-by-tsmc-others-nikkei-2021-11-23/

They also worked on a block allocation basis and car manufacturers were complacent and late to put in their block orders:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/features/why-automotive-chip-shortage/

It also didn't help that there was a massive fire that shut down Renesas plant in Japan and the plant almost exclusively made semiconductors for automotive applications:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56486242

Then there has been staffing issues as different countries introduced bans on working at factories to reduce the spread of COVID. As factory work is done in the physical factory, they cannot work from home producing chips:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-23/chip-shortage-set-to-worsen-as-covid-rampages-through-malaysia

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:18 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fsrp=1&_from=R40&_nkw=ford+focus&_sacat=0&Model%2520Year=2004%7C2003%7C2002&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&Fuel=Petrol&rt=nc&Vehicle%2520Mileage=50%252C000%2520to%252074%252C999%2520miles%7C25%252C000%2520to%252049%252C999%2520miles&_dcat=9844

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fsrp=1&_from=R40&_nkw=ford+focus&_sacat=0&Model%2520Year=2004%7C2003%7C2002&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&Fuel=Petrol&rt=nc&Vehicle%2520Mileage=50%252C000%2520to%252074%252C999%2520miles%7C25%252C000%2520to%252049%252C999%2520miles&_dcat=9844

^^ there you go, some cunt spent £320 on an old focus with no MOT and listed as spares and repairs. Punt it on eBay £1 no reserve and just let it go and be done with it?

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:30 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cartakeback.com gave me £400 for a non running Peugeot Expert van that was hanging.
If you have no money to get it fixed up - this might be a good option.

Local scrappys have been giving like £40 or £50 - I think we have been being ripped off. The manufacturer pays for de-toxing and processing the vehicle, it seems . Money in the bank the next morning - certificate of destruction from DVLA by lunchtime. Lots of messages. All paperwork , log book etc done properly. You just need to have it where it can be driven or winched onto the recovery lorry.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3