Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking at going Tesla

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Looking at going Tesla Reply with quote

Anyone got one?

More and more looking into them.
The price to finance a model 3, is still less than am paying in fuel a month.

For:
£400 finance,
£10p/w to charge.

It really is a no brainer.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate has got one. He's a real petrolhead got 3 vehicles with nitrous on them but he loves it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

More looking at the savings.

Little A3 is costing £110p/w on fuel.
Where as a Tesla wouod cost £20 to charge.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 05 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's your weekly mileage?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: Looking at going Tesla Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Anyone got one?

More and more looking into them.
The price to finance a model 3, is still less than am paying in fuel a month.

For:
£400 finance,
£10p/w to charge.

It really is a no brainer.

Unless you’re putting down £11,000 deposit on a Model 3 you’re not getting finance at £400 a month on the entry level Model 3 or are you financing a second hand one? Only reason I ask is because I would want to stay away from any that will be 10 years old or older while you’re still on the hook with finance as that’s the age the batteries are roughly going dead at.

Electric cars are way cheaper to run. I’m currently negotiating with our FD for an electric car I want a Tesla but it might not end up being a Tesla. At 1% BIK I’ll take any electric car in the price range.

Tesla definitely have a massive advantage with their supercharger network which is Tesla exclusive.

For me Tesla makes sense and is a no brainier if you’re doing it PCP and just swapping it back for a new Tesla every 3/4 years.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughly 600mile.

Driving like a granny I get 47mpg. But the missus driving it she gets 25.

380mile range would only need to charge it twice. Or not be lazy and use the charge points at work and walk a mile to the yard.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perwonally I think the only way electric cars will work are on swapping them every few years.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some article about a bloke who bought a second hand electric merc for some large sum only to be lumbered with a battery bill for 15 grand a short time later.

I would like an electric car for the running costs but I can't afford a new one and I'd never buy 2nd hand because of the risks.

Found the article....

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/01/26/mercedes-owner-horrified-new-battery-will-cost-him-15000-more-than-the-car-is-worth/

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I saw some article about a bloke who bought a second hand electric merc for some large sum only to be lumbered with a battery bill for 15 grand a short time later.

I would like an electric car for the running costs but I can't afford a new one and I'd never buy 2nd hand because of the risks.

Found the article....

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/01/26/mercedes-owner-horrified-new-battery-will-cost-him-15000-more-than-the-car-is-worth/

Same thing happened with a guy who bought an older Tesla: it needed a battery at $20,000 USD. The guy blew the car up instead on YouTube. The thing is, Tesla actually make a loss on that price. I watched a video by Louis Rossman about it (he hates Tesla as they are anti-right-to-repair so he is not a Tesla flag waiver or apologist).

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:06 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be delivering Bread as well as milk?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:50 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Roughly 600mile.

380mile range would only need to charge it twice. Or not be lazy and use the charge points at work and walk a mile to the yard.

A mate of mine has been delivering the electric Merc for a while now and his firm have just started delivering Teslas as well.
He has made some interesting observations over that time, the most pertinent being that the range is severely impacted by the heating and A/C systems. Not so funny are his stories this winter of turning off the heat to up the range, then switching it on 15 minutes later because of the danger caused by fogging and then flipping it off 15 minutes later because he needs to actually reach a charging point (Apparently north of Carlisle isn't great for charging stations) and then cycling through the on/off mode in order to get some balance between safety and reaching a station.

What are the vehicles like in extreme cold conditions? I was having issues the week before last with my Makita 23ga nail gun, no heat in the new build I was working on, temp was about -6C and no matter how freshly charged the battery the gun just wouldn't drive the pins home, after half a dozen shots it was operating so slowly that I could see the nail being pushed out of the gun (it has a nose point with a gap). Obviously I could have just quit, hopped in my trusty V8 and buggered off back home if I wanted, would today's leccy vehicle have been as reliable at sub-zero 5000' up?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Roughly 600mile.

whoah that's big miles - i see why you'd be interested in electric

and your mpg compared to the wife's is incredible - what's she doing that's so different?? lead boots is it??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
SpiritMr89 wrote:
Roughly 600mile.

whoah that's big miles - i see why you'd be interested in electric

and your mpg compared to the wife's is incredible - what's she doing that's so different?? lead boots is it??

If you ever rob a bank she'll be the get away driver.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
I was having issues the week before last with my Makita 23ga nail gun, no heat in the new build I was working on, temp was about -6C and no matter how freshly charged the battery the gun just wouldn't drive the pins home, after half a dozen shots it was operating so slowly that I could see the nail being pushed out of the gun (it has a nose point with a gap). Obviously I could have just quit, hopped in my trusty V8 and buggered off back home if I wanted, would today's leccy vehicle have been as reliable at sub-zero 5000' up?

There's a reason I still keep my old Paslode framer around. Mostly the Dewalt electric guns are fine, but get into the depths of winter and you start seeing issues on bigger jobs. Even the Paslode gets temperamental at anything below -5, you need to put the gas cylinder in a pocket for a few minutes to get iy back up and running Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Roughly 600mile.

You can buy my old Skoda Smile Even at >10 years old it still managed ~70mpg going down to Cornwall recently. And that's at 70mph motorway speeds most of the way.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This what bothers me about electric vehicles in general.
Your five year old trade in is potentially almost worthless because for most cars, changing the battery will not be economically viable.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/mercedes-owner-horrified-new-battery-6545540
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:39 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an electric hyundai ioniq, after having two of the hybrids. I wouldn't go back to petrol. If you can get a tesla for £400/month (possible through company car schemes and the like), do it.

I'm not sure where all the battery worries are coming from, unless it's a selective news feed looking for the negatives. Tesla batteries are lasting incredibly well. The only ones showing serious degradation at 10 years are early nissan leafs, which had a fairly shit battery from new.

The range will be reduce quite a bit in winter, using the heater knocks off about 10-20%. If you have a home charger, you get in the habit of charging up once the battery is down to 50%, rather than waiting until it's nearly empty as with a petrol car.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:05 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If you can get a tesla for £400/month (possible through company car schemes and the like), do it.

That is how I am aiming to do it, can get a long range Tesla for ~530pm or the RWD standard for ~440pm, which means I won't 'see' the payrise I am getting but I'll benefit from it, which seems a no brainer.

I could go non-Tesla and get various others, but I love tech.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to have to look at the govt stuff. See what benefits they give hen buying one.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the hybrid vehicles and they have merit, but full battery vehicles aren't appealing at all. As for 10 year battery life and the cost of a new one, it's ok saying that the new ones are better, but they aren't ten years old yet. In reality battery cars haven't moved forward much from the old milk floats, yes they have taken on the look of a proper car, but the basics of battery life and weight hasn't moved on. I would have expected a battery to be the same size as a normal car battery and motors not much bigger with power output being far greater.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going Tesla sounds to me like going ski-ing.

Eveyone tells me how great it is but I refuse to believe them.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Going Tesla sounds to me like going ski-ing.

Everyone tells me how great it is but I refuse to believe them.

They don't mention the real cost, braking your legs or that you can go full Schumacher while on the slopes or the fact that you can catch a dose from one of the local chalet girls.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont they just put electricity meters in them
so you can keep a tin of fifty pence coins in a tin in the car
and top it up when it's getting low?

when I were a lad we always kept a few two bob bits next to the meter
just in case

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:19 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
In reality battery cars haven't moved forward much from the old milk floats, yes they have taken on the look of a proper car, but the basics of battery life and weight hasn't moved on. I would have expected a battery to be the same size as a normal car battery and motors not much bigger with power output being far greater.

You're gonna have to explain you're reasoning for that statement becuase in real terms the technology has come on in leaps and bounds.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Skudd wrote:
In reality battery cars haven't moved forward much from the old milk floats, yes they have taken on the look of a proper car, but the basics of battery life and weight hasn't moved on. I would have expected a battery to be the same size as a normal car battery and motors not much bigger with power output being far greater.

You're gonna have to explain you're reasoning for that statement becuase in real terms the technology has come on in leaps and bounds.

Don't they all just use these, just in huge quantities? If so, how the f has it progressed?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqK3RTLAZ6wDLqajQS8730cQhISoilUqgxainHPMBXvBSvY6TEXIbAdevm4j_-jL0YSZs&usqp=CAU

FFS, my grandsons Mario cart uses them as well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6