Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking at going Tesla

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

You need a dialling wand

https://youtu.be/npSVS9CJyPc?t=19

Mate fucking lol'd at that Laughing

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 05:40 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
A 40ft container used to cost us £1,200 to ship from Taiwan to the UK, now if we get offered one at £16,000 we throw the money at it there and then. Shipping costs have went up easily 10x what they were pre-COVID.

I work in shipping infact i'm a Tug and Toplift driver.
It is widely speculated that during a North Sea crossing 3 trailers will pay for the whole sailing.

Added smidge:
Most things now are in 45ft, very rarely see 40fts infact in our import stacks max of 96 are 40fts and over 700 are 45's.

Did hear when on P&O a few years back.
It costs $100p/m to have the engines on idle if we were late getting cargo on. And $1500p/h for them to try catch up again.

Sadly was also there when that Romanian lad jumped off the side in the middle of the night. And had to search the ship for him.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come shipping costs have increased so much??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

There was literally a shortage of containers because they couldn't be returned full or empty
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Initially it was a lack of containers being returned led to a shortage of containers, then COVID lockdowns affected the factories that produce containers so no containers were being made to suffice the container shortage, then global demand for containers escalated as everyone and their mum needed them to ship PPE to Governments. Governments who then left the containers pilled up in ports and used up all the port storage capacity.

In addition to this, many ports closed down either to lockdowns or staff being unwell. Then there were additional delays as ports now required new procedures for COVID control. There were also ships tasked solely with carrying empty containers and these empty sailings reduced capacity of actual goods being transited.

All of this was going on and causing delays then there was Ever Given which blocked the world's busiest shipping route for weeks. There was also two crashes at the worlds busiest export port in China (Shanghai) and Taiwan (Kaohsiung).

It has been a culmination of clusterfucks. The world has not caught up with all the delays. Ports are still congested. The problem isn't as simple as building new storage facilities at ports and building new ships. Nobody will pay for these additional, extremely expensive assets knowing they will be a wasted investment because when the current surplus was cleared capacity would then be greater than actual need.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 09 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:

Added smidge:
Most things now are in 45ft, very rarely see 40fts infact in our import stacks max of 96 are 40fts and over 700 are 45's.

Almost every container we import is 20ft or 40ft and we get them in through Felixstowe and Grangemouth. Once they are in the UK we then have delays getting them to our distribution centre due to an HGV driver shortage... Doh!

EDIT: Don't know if it makes a difference but our shipper is Kuehne and Nagel.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:08 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:

Added smidge:

Almost every container we import is 20ft or 40ft and we get them in through Felixstowe and Grangemouth. Once they are in the UK we then have delays getting them to our distribution centre due to an HGV driver shortage... Doh!

EDIT: Don't know if it makes a difference but our shipper is Kuehne and Nagel.

Most Uk ports are what we know as 'feeders' so the massive ships go to the likes of Rotterdam or zeebee, then get split down to smaller stuff and sent to the smaller ports like we have in UK.

Honestly am amazed you still get 20fts.
This time of night my maths is a bit naff,

12 x 4 x 3 x 3
8 x 2 x 2 + 8
6 x 4 x 2 + 12

That's our 'tanks' can only say out of thaf lot we have maybe pess than 10 boxes. I know for a fact they stopped producing them a few yewrs ago.

As for covid we worked right through.
Yes few more procedures like cleaning machines before and after use. But non of us stopped.

Not sure on rest of ports, but where I am, they hold 'stand by's until they have a full ship worth 'don't make money sending them' then will fill a ship and lob it on.
Most of our stuff goes out loaded stand by.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 10 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Most Uk ports are what we know as 'feeders' so the massive ships go to the likes of Rotterdam or zeebee, then get split down to smaller stuff and sent to the smaller ports like we have in UK.

Honestly am amazed you still get 20fts.
This time of night my maths is a bit naff,

12 x 4 x 3 x 3
8 x 2 x 2 + 8
6 x 4 x 2 + 12

That's our 'tanks' can only say out of thaf lot we have maybe pess than 10 boxes. I know for a fact they stopped producing them a few yewrs ago.

As for covid we worked right through.
Yes few more procedures like cleaning machines before and after use. But non of us stopped.

Not sure on rest of ports, but where I am, they hold 'stand by's until they have a full ship worth 'don't make money sending them' then will fill a ship and lob it on.
Most of our stuff goes out loaded stand by.

This might be a dumb question, but if we switched to only receive things in 45ft containers would that speed things up?

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:38 - 11 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends which way you mean?

As a said most stuff is 45ft now.

When you see things like 'This ship can hold 10,000 containers' what it means is TEU or 20ft Equivilant units. Since that was where it started.

20fts mean more moves, more pins, more men, hell more trucks.

Think of the simple way.
45ft is 2 20ft's plus a bit.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a new Tesla Model 3 Long Range on order. Will give my thoughts on it when it turns up.

Dan Norse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:55 - 15 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

What are the vehicles like in extreme cold conditions?

Well they are the car of choice where I live (Norway) and it gets plenty cold here. Of course it must impact the range, but not in a deal breaking kind of way. I know they had to have thicker charging cables to combat the cold when they first came out.

Literally it seems like every third car here is a Tesla...

Mostly because of the huge tax breaks, and the fact they can use the bus lanes to jump the morning queues...

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a new Tesla Model 3 Long Range on order. Will give my thoughts on it when it turns up.

Well fuck me it's scheduled for delivery in NOVEMBER Mad fuck me, I am on the hook now but these lead times are fucking insane.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:01 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which year?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 17 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Which year?

MotorbikerTom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:18 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a helpful insight:

I picked up a new Model 3 Dual Motor last December.

So far I'm 7,000 miles in and it's cost me just over £100 in 'fuel'. Thankfully I can charge at work for free, so the cost is public charging including the awesome supercharger network.

I've had a few decent cars in the past, but this is already the best car I've owned. Super smooth to drive, great level of infotainment & impressive sound system, as quick as C63/M3 as i've found out, decent build quality, cheap to run, comfy etc. If there is any gripe, it's the lack of noise.

I've added some braided brake lines and better DOT4 fluid which has mated to the 4 pot brembo calipers well, so confidence in the car is up on a twisty road. The assumption is that electric cars are kack to drive, yes there is less drama but it's not boring. The Model 3 in particular has a real go kart feel.

Range, I would say in winter I could get 270/280. Summer, I'm looking to achieve low 300's. The key at the moment with the 2021 onward Model 3 and most EV's now, is getting a heat pump. This makes a big difference on winter range as it's a much more efficient HVAC system. Compared to an earlier Model 3 for example, you'd be seeing about 20/30 miles more range.

Hope this helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:23 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better DOT 4?

Surely most of the braking is regenerative so in most cases hydralic bakes don't even factor except in emergency situations and even the DOT 4 is hardly state of the art.

MotorbikerTom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:22 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they come with DOT3 as standard, due to like you say, the regen braking being so effective you don’t touch the brake pedal most journeys. It’s for more enthusiastic driving that I found they faded very quickly. Much improved now Thumbs Up

I referenced it as ‘better DOT4’ as chose a higher temp one from Castrol.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said I have 2 Tesla calipers here destined to go on a Sprinter. Both with (presumably) original pads fitted showing no wear that I can detect.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 06 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotorbikerTom wrote:
Might be a helpful insight:

I picked up a new Model 3 Dual Motor last December.

So far I'm 7,000 miles in and it's cost me just over £100 in 'fuel'. Thankfully I can charge at work for free, so the cost is public charging including the awesome supercharger network.

I've had a few decent cars in the past, but this is already the best car I've owned. Super smooth to drive, great level of infotainment & impressive sound system, as quick as C63/M3 as i've found out, decent build quality, cheap to run, comfy etc. If there is any gripe, it's the lack of noise.

I've added some braided brake lines and better DOT4 fluid which has mated to the 4 pot brembo calipers well, so confidence in the car is up on a twisty road. The assumption is that electric cars are kack to drive, yes there is less drama but it's not boring. The Model 3 in particular has a real go kart feel.

Range, I would say in winter I could get 270/280. Summer, I'm looking to achieve low 300's. The key at the moment with the 2021 onward Model 3 and most EV's now, is getting a heat pump. This makes a big difference on winter range as it's a much more efficient HVAC system. Compared to an earlier Model 3 for example, you'd be seeing about 20/30 miles more range.

Hope this helps!

I have a Model 3 Long Range too and I think the brakes feel great as they come. You driving in comfort mode or something? The car is pretty stiff in sport mode.

MotorbikerTom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed the car does feel firm on the road and handles great, imo it's just once you start pressing on a bit, the brakes tended to be the weak link in the setup.

Also sport mode only changes the throttle map and steering mode, though the latest firmware seems to have made the steering modes a lot more speed sensitive than before!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotorbikerTom wrote:
Agreed the car does feel firm on the road and handles great, imo it's just once you start pressing on a bit, the brakes tended to be the weak link in the setup.

Also sport mode only changes the throttle map and steering mode, though the latest firmware seems to have made the steering modes a lot more speed sensitive than before!

I don't know if you've come across this yet, but I was power washing it the other day and the water pressure set off the charge port flap which opened up and got the connector wet. I have since found out there's a dedicated "wash mode" which locks the charge port shut Embarassed Embarassed

MotorbikerTom
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:21 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car wash mode! Yes I’ve used it a couple of times, great idea to avoid the inevitable charge port opening when you don’t want it to Very Happy

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF has the world come to, when you have to actually tell your car you are going to wash it

Do you have to get it's permission too #metoo

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
WTF has the world come to, when you have to actually tell your car you are going to wash it

Do you have to get it's permission too #metoo

Bit of a jump to go from pressure switched charge ports accidentally opening when power washing to rape Laughing Laughing

Mine is an absolute slag, she didn't complain when I nut in her earlier.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a jump to go from pressure switched charge ports accidentally opening when power washing to rape Laughing Laughing

INB4 BCF awards 'reply of the year' Laughing Laughing Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6