Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking at going Tesla

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:54 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Going back to fuel cells, while there is a fairly heft loss from splitting hydrogen from water, it has the major advantage that it is a lot easier to store the hydrogen when generated, so generation can be independent of demand. Plus a far quicker refueling time.

The energy penalty for electrolysis is enormous. If we crack fusion power, then maybe we can have a hydrogen infrastructure? The one advantage of a fuel cell over a combustion hydrogen engine is that the combustion engine would undoubtedly produce some level of air pollutant as well as water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The energy penalty for electrolysis is enormous. If we crack fusion power, then maybe we can have a hydrogen infrastructure? The one advantage of a fuel cell over a combustion hydrogen engine is that the combustion engine would undoubtedly produce some level of air pollutant as well as water.

I know it's a pretty niche example and will only work in countries which could produce a surplus of electricity due to wind (like Scotland) but in the Shetlands, they produce more electricity than they can use and to stop wastage use that spare electricity to turn sea water into hydrogen for use in car fuel cells.

https://www.scottishenergynews.com/wind-and-marine-energy-generate-more-power-than-shetland-can-use/

https://www.shetland.org/blog/green-hydrogen-potential

https://www.orioncleanenergy.com/

The SNP make a big deal about Oil and Gas in the North Sea being a big part of the Scottish economy in an independent Scotland. What they really should do is have a bit of vision:

1. Make capital gains and corporation tax very low in Scotland, the lowest in the European Area to encourage high net wealth individuals to reside here and companies to invest in businesses here,

2. Lower personal income taxes to lower than that of the United Kingdom to incentivise people to go and work instead of collect benefits,

3. Invest heavily in wind and tidal power generation, provide the popular heavily reduced energy costs and continue building to have redundant and surplus capacity,

4. Realise that Scotland has a lot of natural resources that the world will need going forward - wind and water. Sell excess energy from wind generation to England/ Ireland and use surplus to generate hydrogen and oxygen from the sea,

5. Use already in-place transportation network with the rest of the UK to promote hydrogen power over hydrocarbon power, in time the ready availability of hydrogen might mean petrol stations who stand to lose everything in a totally plug-in electric future will have some kind of future in delivering hydrogen.

Scotland's biggest exports should be either energy or energy production as well as water and services (due to having a lot of companies moving here for tax reasons).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:54 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitting water only costs.slightly more energy than you get from recombining the oxygen and water again, especially if done at an industrial rate.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:01 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Splitting water only costs.slightly more energy than you get from recombining the oxygen and water again, especially if done at an industrial rate.

Then you've got collection and compression.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 11 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

We need to crack that pretty soon then, as of now, no new build house can have a gas boiler and the only immediate alternatives are electric and hydrogen.

Given the rapid increase in electricity supply costs, if we don't get an alternative soon, it won't be long before nobody can afford to heat their homes and we're all dying of hypothermia Confused

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 02:19 - 11 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Real figure taking into account transmission losses for electricity, etc, seems to be a hydrogen fuel cell needs about twice the power of a battery. But the hydrogen can be generated irrespective of demand, and easily stored. Possibly directly at a refuelling station with its own wind turbine so saving any transmission losses.

Take the quick refuelling, no need for home charging, etc, then quite possibly a price worth paying.

All the best

Katy

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:52 - 11 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
SpiritMr89 wrote:
All depends on if it is well looked after. I am proper anal about mpg. Everytime the car is filled to the top (litterally no more will fit) then amount and milage is recorded, for exact mpg.
Can tell if something is wrong before actually knowwing. Can even see the mpg go down slightly as it gets closer to needing a service.

I actually tried monitoring MPG very closely on both my bikes but I just don't have the mental discipline required to keep doing it every time.

It really is just something that becomes habbit.
If not sending myself a text of litre and milage, then i'll get a receipt and write the milage at the top.

Do have a spread sheet on the ipad, where can log everything. Even the temp when filling up.

But generally work it out as:

Amount in litre ÷ gallon (4.546),
Gallon ÷ miles,
Exact mpg.

Been doing it since 2014, with every vehicle owned.
It is that exact, can see on my first 300tdi Discovery, the mpg went up by about 2, just by clicking the seat back by one.

The A3 for some reason seems to eat brake calipers, can tell the week it starts to bind, and book it in before it starts squeeking or anything.
The garage a go to loves me. Because al phone up with the problem and they can have the bits there for the day it is due.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 12 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
My Jag is 10 years old, runs beautifully and I have no thoughts on changing it. It's just been serviced and the Jag mechanics haven't told me the diesel is on it's last legs and will cost me X grand to replace.

I call bollocks. There's no way your 10 year old diesel Jag hasn't needed EGR valves done or DPF cleaned/ replaced. Also the diodes on the Ford-era Jaguar alternators may as well be made of wet paper, you must have had an alternator change in there too.

My Jaguar XF was a lovely big motor, it was far more comfortable than the 2004 BMW 750iL (E66) that it replaced and was very nice to drive, but it was a finnicky cunt when it came to the engine. Cost me many thousands over the years in replacing EGRs alone (twice on both banks).

Err... my 14 year old, 173k mile citroen diesel has had none of those things done.
New timing belt, discs, steering rack, suspension bits and a window mech. Not too bad considering its age and the state of the roads - just mainly wear and tear due to the mileage.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:48 - 13 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Err... my 14 year old, 173k mile citroen diesel has had none of those things done.
New timing belt, discs, steering rack, suspension bits and a window mech. Not too bad considering its age and the state of the roads - just mainly wear and tear due to the mileage.

My 2004 diesel Zafira has had tyres and some oil at some point, its also had a handbrake cable and a rear caliper, timing belt was done at 130,000 which is 30k/6 years ago Neutral . Otherwise, its had nothing else Laughing it should have died a LONG time ago.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 13 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a completely different thing but I have been on ships that have had diesel generators running 24/7 for 30+ years only being shut down for essential maintenance as recommended by the manufacturer, I suppose compared to vehicle diesels they are simple affairs but the longevity of them is unreal.

My old canal boat had a 1500cc BMC diesel that started life in a taxi and then was marinised for the boat after the taxi died, It was was put in the boat in the 1980's and still going strong when I sold it in 2016.

You really can't beat a good diesel for reliability.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:37 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my work are arseholes.
They saw a guy charging his cr and fired him. So will be sticking to the Audi for now.

Talking to alot of guys at work (they live close). They all say about getting it on 'lease' so since am keeping my car. It willbe for the wife.

Any idea's?

Looking at Nissan Leaf sort of stuff since she does mainly town driving and will be used in summer to take kids to beach or shooting when am at work.

Need help with:

Car,
Spec,
Lease company,

Bsically everything.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:38 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They fired someone for charging his car?

Presumbly it was some kind of Mumbai hookup?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
They saw a guy charging his cr and fired him. So will be sticking to the Audi for now.

Talking to alot of guys at work (they live close). They all say about getting it on 'lease' so since am keeping my car. It willbe for the wife.

Any idea's?

Looking at Nissan Leaf sort of stuff since she does mainly town driving and will be used in summer to take kids to beach or shooting when am at work.

Need help with:

Car,
Spec,
Lease company,

Bsically everything.

You definitely want it on lease as batteries become massive costs to replace once they start going out 8 - 12 years into the vehicles life. If you lease on a 4 year deal you are out long before that becomes an issue and onto your new car.

With leases just be very careful on the mileage as you will be arse-raped on over-mileage costs. It's better to over-estimate your mileage and pay the slightly harder monthly cost than potentially be raped at the other end imho.

Also be very careful on the condition of lease cars when they go back. If you have cigarette burns or tears in the upholstery that won't be covered as fair wear and tear and you'll be charged to re-upholster the car which can be really expensive. Same with plastics, etc - they can be a little scuffed but any gouges or deep scratches they won't accept as fair wear and tear. As with everything, some companies will be very easy to work with and others will try everything in the world to extract as much back out of you as possible.

I don't know any reputable leasing companies, I can only go by what people I know have told me and it's generally not great feedback.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 05:17 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Nope litterally in the other carpark, and plugged it in.
They came over radio with reg.

'Stealing company property' or some bullshit.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 05:19 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:

Any idea's?

Need help with:

Car,
Spec,
Lease company,

Bsically everything.

You definitely want it on lease as batteries become massive costs to replace once they start going out 8 - 12 years into the vehicles life. If you lease on a 4 year deal you are out long before that becomes an issue and onto your new car.

With leases just be very careful on the mileage as you will be arse-raped on over-mileage costs. It's better to over-estimate your mileage and pay the slightly harder monthly cost than potentially be raped at the other end imho.

Also be very careful on the condition of lease cars when they go back. If you have cigarette burns or tears in the upholstery that won't be covered as fair wear and tear and you'll be charged to re-upholster the car which can be really expensive. Same with plastics, etc - they can be a little scuffed but any gouges or deep scratches they won't accept as fair wear and tear. As with everything, some companies will be very easy to work with and others will try everything in the world to extract as much back out of you as possible.

I don't know any reputable leasing companies, I can only go by what people I know have told me and it's generally not great feedback.

Wife doesn't smoke, unless the kids aren't home, or are in bed.

I only smoke in car because well it is a very unhealthy habbit (50p/d), and it's a long drive.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Straight to employment tribunal then. I assume the company enforced the same draconian measures for those charging mobile phones. Unless they have prewarned all staff that the charging of cars is strictly prohibited and ensured every member of staff is aware of that policy then I fail to see how they can defend a straight to 'gross misconduct' decision.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Seems odd that there should be a car charginf hookup that is not permitted to be used.

Anyway, in the UK that would land you in a tribunal unless they were notified that they were not for use. I think the company have missed a trick thoughbecause if they have employees that need a hookup they could simply set a tarriff and have them pay for it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:03 - 05 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tribunal would say it's theft and gross missconduct unless there was an explicit agreement that allowed staff to charge their own cars.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 06 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noo they are just arseholes.

As said they could charge a tarrif. Say £10p/m out your wages too use it, ect.

That way more people would, be getting them because well free 'fuel'.

Been looking up Nissan Note. Can get one on Lease for £263p/m which aint bad. So would keep the Audi purely for work. Then wife could use the Note for work and taking kids out in summer hols and stuff.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 07 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:

Been looking up Nissan Note. Can get one on Lease for £263p/m which aint bad. So would keep the Audi purely for work. Then wife could use the Note for work and taking kids out in summer hols and stuff.

So we have went from getting a Tesla Model 3 at £400pcm with an £11,000 deposit down to a Nissan Note at £263pcm. What happened? Laughing

In fairness, if you're just needing something for the wife to potter about in then the Note probably makes sense. No point paying for more than what's required.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:33 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:

So we have went from getting a Tesla Model 3 at £400pcm with an £11,000 deposit down to a Nissan Note at £263pcm. What happened? Laughing

In fairness, if you're just needing something for the wife to potter about in then the Note probably makes sense. No point paying for more than what's required.

What can a say...
Am a tart.

The idea of the Tesla, waa say it is for her. Steal it for work, then get her a ahit box corsa or something.
Really looking at the money and stuff. Can afford either, but other big decisions coming up in a few years. So rather save the money and put towards that.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
The idea of the Tesla, waa say it is for her. Steal it for work, then get her a ahit box corsa or something.
Really looking at the money and stuff. Can afford either, but other big decisions coming up in a few years. So rather save the money and put towards that.

Fair enough, unless you were buying the top version (Model 3 Performance) you'd be waiting until February 2023 for the base or mid spec models.

I am getting an EV through my work as a company car, the problem is finding something available:

Mercedes EQA = 2 months wait,
Mercedes EQC = 3 - 4 months wait,
BMW i4 (standard) = 4 months wait,
BMW i4 (M version) = Q1 2023,
Tesla Model 3 = Q1 2023.

The shocking thing is all new EQA's despite being £45,000.00 cars won't even have electric seats no matter what trim level you get because of semiconductor shortages and prices. The bloke at the dealership told me specs of cars are being cut because they want to hold price points but cost increases have cut away all the profit at the manufacturer level. Could just be shite that salesmen say, but since we have seen our costs explode in our own business there's probably a lot of truth to it.

A 40ft container used to cost us £1,200 to ship from Taiwan to the UK, now if we get offered one at £16,000 we throw the money at it there and then. Shipping costs have went up easily 10x what they were pre-COVID.

Steel costs have went up for us around 40% in the last 12 months and we are looking at a similar increase in the next 12 months.

Our plastic products have exploded in cost due to the raw material cost increase and combine that with shipping increase the product is now 3x more expensive than pre-COVID and then you need to explain to people you're not taking the piss, the product was a commodity product with single digit margins to begin with that was sold on volumes.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The shocking thing is all new EQA's despite being £45,000.00 cars won't even have electric seats

Jeez that's awful, fancy having to pull that pesky lever to slide back and forth!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Quote:
The shocking thing is all new EQA's despite being £45,000.00 cars won't even have electric seats

Jeez that's awful, fancy having to pull that pesky lever to slide back and forth!

First world problems and all that but when you're putting down £45k on a Mercedes-Benz you expect electrically adjustable seats when even Dacia can do it on a £13k car.

EDIT: My chubby fingers prefer buttons to levers Laughing

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 08 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: My chubby fingers prefer buttons to levers Laughing

You need a dialling wand

https://youtu.be/npSVS9CJyPc?t=19
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6