Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who didn't kill themselves?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
BTW
'Back channels' are thing that's been around for ever
they're actually quite useful

I think that prior to modern communications the European wide gypsy community were probably quite useful as channels as well. They probably served all sorts of uses to different interests.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I do think there’s a worthwhile conversation to be had regarding lessons learned and what we ought to do next time, treating this pandemic as a rehearsal. This seems to be the wrong thread though. Start a new one, chickenstrip.

I think the thread is ok for it. What I didn't like about this one was how quickly it was jumped on, by the usual suspects, when it hasn't been proved wrong. It hasn't even been challenged on detail before that happened. Maybe that's just me.

Otherwise, I think the Covid threads we have are sufficient.

But I would stress not to put too much credit in peer review. Scientists etc are not above and beyond trying to discredit things for their own gain. This is why you cannot just say "trust the science!" Whose 'science'?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread title and first post were rather cryptic.

Regarding the unpublished paper,

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1489828485929619458
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:42 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I think the thread is ok for it. What I didn't like about this one was how quickly it was jumped on

It's all well and good for you but who will tarmac Jimmy's driveway for him now? Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Ste on 22:19 - 06 Feb 2022; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 06 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
The thread title and first post were rather cryptic.

Regarding the unpublished paper,

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1489828485929619458

It's an opinion.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is people want to be offended or virtue offended on behalf of others (which is offensive as it says that you are too thick and stupid to be offended so I'll be offended for you)

With regards of people being offended by jokes, Clarkson has a big thing about Bikers, all tongue in cheek except for if his daughter goes out with a bike, He takes the piss big time, but because most of us are laid back and can take a joke, we laugh. We all know people who have died on bikes, some from this forum, but we aren't offended. That's how it should be.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:27 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The world would be so much better if we got rid of all the Ists and Phobes...

BCF is full of phobists and istophobes

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

It's all well and good for you but who will tarmac Jimmy's driveway for him now? Crying or Very sad

Excellent, you should send Carr that gag its worthy of him Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to rename "comedians" to "social engineering lecturers" seeing as clapter has replaced laughter Sad

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
We need to rename "comedians" to "social engineering lecturers" seeing as clapter has replaced laughter Sad

It is a shame Dave Chapelle has transformed into this. He used to be funny.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Jimmy Carr do a skit about the mechanics of humour and how jokes work. It was very funny and wound a lot of gags into what was a very erudite little lecture on humour. Thjng is, i think there are some people whos mind is atuned to thinking in terms of gags and if unfiltered will produce jokes without regard for what might be justifiable as just entertainment, carrs one of these people i think its invitable that at some point they will produce something offensive. He is a funny guy and very talented but also hes utterly mainstream and in that sense cheap, just like the rest of the eight iut if ten cats crowd. Id like to see such talants gojng after our politicians like back in the day when the alternative scene first burst out and buried the knackered old mainstream.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going after politicians is all well and good but the jokes are then ephemeral and fade after the target has left office. A good rape joke is timeless Wink

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Going after politicians is all well and good but the jokes are then ephemeral and fade after the target has left office. A good rape joke is timeless Wink

"Statistically, at least 50% of those involved have no issue with it."

I'm sure i've heard JC rattle out variations of that over the years too.

For me, as tasteless as he may or may not be it's about there always being a line. If you take away the voice of people like JC then the line takes a nose dive towards safety that then rules out all the other jokes that were previously on the right side of it.

Could he have picked a less prickly issue, sure but then there's always someone who will be offended / find it offensive as it's their own personal Holocaust.

I'd argue no one who likes Jimmy Carr will stop watching him because of that joke. Anyone who'd gone to see him 'live' would be expecting that joke and worse.

As for Frankie Boyle, he's lost his edge completely.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Id like to see such talants gojng after our politicians like back in the day when the alternative scene first burst out and buried the knackered old mainstream.

Try BBC Radio 4. I get that the government of the day is ripe for satire but the ‘we hate the Tories’ bias gives the other often ludicrous parties a free pass, and not just in comedies. Likewise I can hardly bear to watch HIGNFY these days.

I’m not sure ‘Alternative Comedy’ achieved what you think it did. Thatcher was in power for the entire decade of the ‘80s (1979-1990).

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 07 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Id like to see such talants gojng after our politicians like back in the day when the alternative scene first burst out and buried the knackered old mainstream.

Try BBC Radio 4. I get that the government of the day is ripe for satire but the ‘we hate the Tories’ bias gives the other often ludicrous parties a free pass, and not just in comedies. Likewise I can hardly bear to watch HIGNFY these days.

I’m not sure ‘Alternative Comedy’ achieved what you think it did. Thatcher was in power for the entire decade of the ‘80s.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stuck R4 on while heading to Cornwall (after my fav local stations faded out) non-stop Woke bullshit Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3